Okay so im really into the Viking Metal/Folk Metal and i would also love to be able to make some riffs and such myself, and perhaps develop songs later when im more awesome.

But anyway, some people tell me that there are no real ways to make viking metal, you just gotta figure out something that sounds middleage'ish or something like that, but i would like to know if theres any real way to create viking metal (what most of the songs are based by) etc. It would make it easier and i wouldn't need to just improvise on my own.

Thanks
Quote by Sad But False
never heard of it sorry

So why post?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I personaly tought harmonic minor sounded too "exotic" be kinda viking'ish to me, but i see Yngwie use it too in neo classical music so i might be able to press some viking metal out of it after all.
Examine some Amon Amarth:

Tremolo picking, minor scales, ect.

And try some Bathory.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I'm searching for a good viking metal EQ setting for my BC Rich Beast + Peavey Vypyr100
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
Well Folk and Viking metal are two completely different things. For Folk Metal, it has a sort of almost Irish inspiration and feel to it. Stuff like Elvenking. Fast paced, usually in 3/4 or 6/8 but can occasionally be in 4/4 too. It is also very Melodic. A natural Minor would work fine with this.

For Viking Metal just capture something epic. Very VERY epic. And try mixing scales and modes together to see what you can brew up. I'm not that familiar with Viking though so...
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666

And try some Bathory.

ensiferum are a good example too
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
well, for stuff like amon amarth it's basically just melodic death metal with lyrics about vikings, I don't think it would be too hard to write in that style. just come up with some heavy riffs, not too fast, but not too slow, and maybe throw a simple melodic lead over it. then write out some lyrics about vikings. could be about a battle, plundering, sailing into unknown seas with hopes of finding rich lands, etc. see Hagar the Horrible for inspiration

however, for folk metal, that's another story, I'd say stick to 3/4 timing and maybe have like a clean upbeat Celtic sounding melody that flows into a heavier riff that fits it, major and minor should be fine with this. you could also try harmonic and melodic minor
it really depends what type of viking/folk metal you want to play, whether its sort of amon amarth style or more traditional early opeth or ulver. The more traditional Scandinavian folk uses quite a lot of modal ideas particularly dorian.
you are what you is
I think the lyrics are more important in Viking metal. Then again I haven't heard much more then Amon Amarth, but they really don't do anything special. Powerchords, pedal tones, and trem picking.
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666

And try some Bathory.

amon amarth is not viking metal you ****in nerds
amon amarth is melodeath with viking lyrics
p much anyone who said anything about amon amarth need 2 get out forever
Last edited by ilikebebop at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by ilikebebop

Dude why don't you lighten up?
Quote by ilikebebop

You need to settle the **** down. People are trying to help and your just posting to bitch about how wrong we are, instead of offering help, and who needs to leave?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Play REAL folk music, then apply what you learn to your metal :O And be sure to do some funny-stuff with it! Eh.. you know like.. Acoustic passages, other instrument passages, and so on.

Few things is more annoying than "Folk" with no real folk sound in it, just folkish melodies on an over-distorted guitar :O As far as i know, Folk music - atleast more advanced folk music, is one of the hardest genres to play.. Well, i think so atleast.

But good luck!

Yoooou wiiiiiiill rooooock.. In a folky way:P
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by The_Sophist
You need to settle the **** down. People are trying to help and your just posting to bitch about how wrong we are, instead of offering help, and who needs to leave?

if you don't know anything about the subject at hand you can't give advice about it
Quote by ilikebebop
if you don't know anything about the subject at hand you can't give advice about it

*reported*

I've never seen you make an intelligent, useful post and you're just wasting space in every thread you post in.
Learn to speak Icelandic and chant over some chug a lugs.

But seriously, analyzing some songs (like other people have said) is probably the best way to learn to write in the style. Try some Enslaved (lol) or even something like Wintersun (quite epic sounding) to get some ideas.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Raizer Sabre
ensiferum are a good example too

TYR are the best example of viking metal
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by ilikebebop

lmfao, I'm sigging this for sure

Viking metal is all about dynamics. accent particular beats to give the music powerful movement. Obviously minor scale usage like many other people have suggested, using lots of passing tones. Use heavy accentation on the root, fourth and fifth in particular. since it's metal make sure to use powerchords often. I agree with whoever said harmonic minor soudns too exotic for this genre, I've never seen it used. Keep within 4/4 or 6/8 and 12/8 in some circumstances. 3/4 and 6/4 are good for folk music, as well.
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666

And try some Bathory.

This. Tremolo picking using minor scales. Harmonies on the top of a bass-ish line (single notes instead of chords).
Listen to the melody and feel of actual Viking Songs/Chants
Play melody with different instrument. Like a guitar... or a Nickelharpa
Quote by PsychoJeams
Okay so im really into the Viking Metal/Folk Metal and i would also love to be able to make some riffs and such myself, and perhaps develop songs later when im more awesome.

But anyway, some people tell me that there are no real ways to make viking metal, you just gotta figure out something that sounds middleage'ish or something like that, but i would like to know if theres any real way to create viking metal (what most of the songs are based by) etc. It would make it easier and i wouldn't need to just improvise on my own.

Thanks

1.Start listening to European folk music
2.Start transcribing folk metal songs by ear and learn what they're doing musically
3.When you write write EVERYTHING(Even the crap) that comes to you down, go back later and revise it.
4.Just jam on it, once you start to learn the tunes you'll get a better feel for the style. You might even want to just take turns with a friend soloing over some ensiferum progressions just to get a feel for it. Also, the key to writing arrangements like that is to start simple and build off it. Start with maybe one little melody and follow that, see where it takes you. And as with anything, be patient, it takes practice, the more you do it, the better you get.
I two struggled with writing Viking or Folk metal... and asked others for their opinions, they said use minor, major, harmonic minor , melodic minor and all sorts of scales...
... and nothing helped! But now (a few months later) I'm writing all sorts of Epic Viking songs

The real "secret" is, non other that, inspiration/creativity instead of depending on scales (though they're useful for you're solos)... what you need to do is get some inspiration, like watch and EPIC movie or try whistling some medieval melody and transform it into your lead guitar and that add some heavy rhythm worthy of a metal song and there you have it...

Also try adding some keyboard, folk instruments like flutes and piccolos to aid in the melody...

As for the lyrics, read some articles about viking or some of their gods/heroes and write something out of it...

though this might not be a lot of info on viking metal songs it actually quite enough, you will get better at it with time and well... a lot more creative!
Quote by Plaeghdraeger
I'm searching for a good viking metal EQ setting for my BC Rich Beast + Peavey Vypyr100

Its the knob right next to the highs setting... marked PILLAGE
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by ramm_ty
Learn to speak Icelandic and chant over some chug a lugs.

But seriously, analyzing some songs (like other people have said) is probably the best way to learn to write in the style. Try some Enslaved (lol) or even something like Wintersun (quite epic sounding) to get some ideas.

I will do that since I do happen to know Icelandic and speak it as a first language.

Anyway, Original Poster, it's really hard to say what will give you this and that sound. My suggestion is, since you appear to already listen to a good deal of folk metal in itself, look for some Irish/Celtic folk-music. (I'm pretty certain that's the sound you are looking for.)
You could also try some Asian folk music to get a diffrent sound and do stuff like that.

I hope this helps a bit.

Also it is true often this folk metal/music style is fast, catchy and even happy sounding.

Most often you just need to get inspired. Go watch a movie, listen to some epic soundtrack, listen to some folk music, etc.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Sep 22, 2010,
Vikings did not play "metal". They were strictly acoustic musicians. Their favorite instrument was Frenchmen, which they played by whacking them with swords until they emitted loud bleating sounds.
It was said that a squad of Vikings could produce interesting harmonies by this method, but unfortunately the music didn't last too long.
When the Vikings invaded Britain, they found a new source of tunes which they performed by sticking spears into the natives.
However, eventually they all settled down and became Beatles.