i just recently bought a new set of strings (regular slinky 10s) and i find that they were a lot better then my old strings which i don't know what kind they were.
yeah.they have different tensions and feels, which contribute to tone, but not much. also, some have more life than others because some rust real fast. the gauges and the type of ball also contribute. I like dunlop for the feel, but i think the life is sort of short. same with ernie balls. i hate daddario's. seriously.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
yeah.they have different tensions and feels, which contribute to tone, but not much. also, some have more life than others because some rust real fast. the gauges and the type of ball also contribute. I like dunlop for the feel, but i think the life is sort of short. same with ernie balls. i hate daddario's. seriously.

this man speaks truth
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I just put on a new set of superslinkies (what I usualy use)...and played about half an hour, I can already see the strings getting a dingy color. Kinda disapointing, they were so shiny just a while ago
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
I always just buy the $5 pack of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10s. Oh, I've used the Dean Markley Cryogenics on my Les Paul and they were very nice too. I don't think it's a huge deal.
I did notice a difference between the strings that came with my guitar, and the super slinky's I use today. I do however feel like the slinky strings get tackier than some other brands. But maybe that is just me.
I mainly use Ernie Ball strings b/c I like them well enough and they are made in the USA.
Yeh, I love my ernie balls. You just gotta try a few brands and pick one you like best. You can adapt to any string realy if you play on it long enough. String brand doesn't matter all that much, not to say it doesn't at all, but it's not a huge deal realy.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
yeah. i've bought dunlop ZW, fender (standard ball and super bullets), ernie ball,( hybrid, superslinky, 10-52) daddarrio. i'm waiting for my ernie balls to rust so i can try GHS boomers and probably DR. of all of those, i use ernie ball on my RR5 and dunlops on my strat.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I've been using 11 - 48's with a lot of alice in chains song and I love them. I like that deeper e with a lot of there stuff.
I have tried many brands. Some are better than others. Some really like slinkies, but for me the plating comes off real fast like 1 practice session. The fenders did the same thing. The elixers broke constantly. I finally settled on ddarrios, they last and are available everywhere. I have been trying GHS lately they are pretty good to. Ill give it a little time to see how the plating holds up and if they break to much.
i definately recomend regular slinkys. they have a bit of everything. only had them for a few days though so dunno about the life span.
i love ernie ball. they are quite good.

http://www.jeffscheetz.com/images/eballhalf.jpg

if john petrucci and steve vai think they're good... :P and not to mention all those other great artists
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
They vary in:
  • Strength of the string so it doesn't break
  • Tone of the string (some always sound dull while others sound bright for a while)
  • Rust resistance
  • Probably more stuff idk
I swear by DRs and GHS Boomers. DRs ooze quality, but I find GHS makes wonderful flatwounds.

I have a dislike of EB slinkies. I find that for some reason they always give me fretbuzz, even though they are the same gauge as the other brands., and they are not as comfortable as GHS or as good as DRs.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
My personal favourite are GHS. They sound better and last longer than any others I've used. I despise D'Addarios. They break extremely easily. That's why they're so damn cheap. Ernie Balls don't sound a godly as they're advertised, and they don't last long either. I got GHS because my local store was out of Ernie Balls. I haven't look backed since.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I'm going to go ahead and suggest Elixirs (unless someone here has already). In my experience, they're the best strings available.
Either GHS Dave Mustaine Progressvies or Dean Markly. Then again just my preference. It all depends on what you like really.
I've been using stock Epiphone strings on 2 different guitars for a year without a hint of string breaking. I play 3 hours a day and I am yet to face a problem of string breaking.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
they are all different. you should try different strings when you change them to find the ones you really like

Yeah what she said. Try a different brand string untill you find your prefference.

I like Dean Markley's.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
I actually find some differences between brands. Ernie Ball are more elastic and sound rounder, D'Addario are tighter and a lot brighter, Dean Markley are even tighter and (IMO) sound like sh¡t, GHS are similar to D'Addario but not as tight and not as bright, and DR have a pretty neutral character.

And I don't know about other brands as I haven't tried them.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I find that a lot of brands can't make strings that intonate consistently... only brands I've found that don't vary with each individual string are D'Addarios and Ernie Balls. But I'm no expert, only ever played Dean Markleys, D'Addarios, generic Epiphone strings, and Ernie Balls. The Epiphone strings were pretty nice too, while they lasted.