Page 1 of 2
I'm really interested in this amp and I know it can do a heavy distortion and everything but can it still produce a good rock sound for exemple van halen?
Does the 6505 has a good distortion? Because most clips I heard of it sounded bad but maybe it was because of the recording equipment or youtube ****ty audio.
LOL the 6505+ is eddie's signature amp technically so yeah it sounds pretty dam good, most of the clips you heard were of guys doing the brootalz but its only cause it has soo much gain but since it has soo much it can absically do anything. i would TOTALLY recomend it dude. the amp is amazing and if you ever get into a band it can cut through the mix sooo well even without miking it up it can still cut through the mix well.
Thanks. I asked that because I play a lot of heavy stuff but sometimes I like to play a bit of classic rock and stuff like that. I will consider the 6505+.
While a engl fireball is high gain it still should be able to do classic sounds good.
yeah and after a while you wont like the fireball, idk i get that with lower end engl stuff they kinda all sound the same to me.
engl can do just about anything you want, rock, jazz, blues, metal, death metal... as far as the 6505 goes, just get the 5150 (samething) only less expensive.
yeah money is not a problem I want to buy a good amp once and for all I'm sick of buying amp only because they are cheaper.
The fireball is a nice amp but ive heard it really doesent cut at high volume and kinda suffers, for you the 6505 would be a better choice if you want a classic rock sound aswell.
Quote by burn the stars
engl can do just about anything you want, rock, jazz, blues, metal, death metal... as far as the 6505 goes, just get the 5150 (samething) only less expensive.

5150's made by EVH are more expensive. A used PEAVEY 5150 (Not the current EVH 5150's) would be cheaper.
Quote by KillingMachine
yeah money is not a problem I want to buy a good amp once and for all I'm sick of buying amp only because they are cheaper.

Honestly I see tons of people rave about the 6505/5150 but a few months later I see they have a new amp they are raving about. If you look around there are tons of 6505s being sold on the used market, because a lot of people get over their honeymoon period and realize it is not the right amp for them. Make sure you try it out for yourself.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
Honestly I see tons of people rave about the 6505/5150 but a few months later I see they have a new amp they are raving about. If you look around there are tons of 6505s being sold on the used market, because a lot of people get over their honeymoon period and realize it is not the right amp for them. Make sure you try it out for yourself.

Don't worry I will try many amps before buying one within that price range.
Quote by KillingMachine
Don't worry I will try many amps before buying one within that price range.

I just always feel like I need to add it, some people follow the amp advice on here religiously.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
I just always feel like I need to add it, some people follow the amp advice on here religiously.

It is like a religion With our Gods too. If Dave_Mc says it, it's true. If Gabel says it, it's true, and if a moderator says it, it's damn well true!

[/Sucking up]
Quote by convictionless
LOL the 6505+ is eddie's signature amp technically so yeah it sounds pretty dam good, most of the clips you heard were of guys doing the brootalz but its only cause it has soo much gain but since it has soo much it can absically do anything. i would TOTALLY recomend it dude. the amp is amazing and if you ever get into a band it can cut through the mix sooo well even without miking it up it can still cut through the mix well.

Have you ever played one?

Quote by thefrigginbob

+1. A lot of people coming on here wanting high gain so the bandwagon turns up and is like "l0lz the 5150 is teh br00t4lizt amp evAr"

So they buy it, then make a thread complaining, then sell it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Have you ever played one?

+1. A lot of people coming on here wanting high gain so the bandwagon turns up and is like "l0lz the 5150 is teh br00t4lizt amp evAr"

So they buy it, then make a thread complaining, then sell it.

well no **** sherlock, i work in a studio and a in a guitar shop and i also do live sound. lol
i know im a bit of a arse for a sound guy but what ever i take my guitar serious lol.
the 6505 again and again will save you from drowning out in a live mix from what ive seen. its just a good all around amp, you should def look into it and the marshall is a good cab alot of people say thats the best cab for a 6505+ but i find the vader are good with them or even a avatar with hellatone 30's, which are v30's that are worn in a alittle bit to make them more warm and give them a tad a bit more bass response, so its basically the perfect 6505 speaker
Quote by convictionless
well no **** sherlock, i work in a studio and a in a guitar shop and i also do live sound. lol
i know im a bit of a arse for a sound guy but what ever i take my guitar serious lol.
the 6505 again and again will save you from drowning out in a live mix from what ive seen. its just a good all around amp, you should def look into it and the marshall is a good cab alot of people say thats the best cab for a 6505+ but i find the vader are good with them or even a avatar with hellatone 30's, which are v30's that are worn in a alittle bit to make them more warm and give them a tad a bit more bass response, so its basically the perfect 6505 speaker

1. No it's not. It's more versatile than people make out, but it's not good alround.
2. Was that at me? I have one.

You still didn't answer my question. Working in a studio and in a guitar shop, and especially being a sound guy doesn't mean you've played one enough to recommend it like it's Gods gift to amps.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
... but ive heard it alot, and yes ive played it alot. i dont own one but i used one alot. yeah its a good all around amp for his style of music hes playing, no it doesnt have good cleans but if you acutally try it can get decent cleans at lowish volumes.
Quote by convictionless
... but ive heard it alot, and yes ive played it alot. i dont own one but i used one alot. yeah its a good all around amp for his style of music hes playing, no it doesnt have good cleans but if you acutally try it can get decent cleans at lowish volumes.

so you haven't got one then.
Quote by convictionless

I don't really use cleans so that's not a problem. I will try to find a 6505 in a music store somewhere and try it out.
Quote by AdamDK
It is like a religion With our Gods too. If Dave_Mc says it, it's true. If Gabel says it, it's true, and if a moderator says it, it's damn well true!

[/Sucking up]

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

How did I forget Mr Orange himself, Jinskee!
Last edited by AdamDK at Aug 17, 2008,
I'd just get a Powerball. If you can afford the Fireball, then just grab a used Powerball. It'll do everything heavy, some rock if tweaked right, and gorgeous cleans. JMO Btw.
Perhaps look into an ENGL Blackmore, or a Laney VH100R?

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

6505 > fireball.
Its NOT versatile. Its a spartan amp made for blow you against the ground. And thats what its good at.
1 gain knob/channel, 1 volume/channel, 1 EQ and PLAY! No fancy schmancy stuff to break your head on. It just does what its designed for: make your intestins to want to go to the toilet.
Dont get a 1960A or B to go with a 6505 head. It sounds like crap. The G12T75 speakers are not the 6505's best friend. They make it sound too fuzzy. Go for a V30/V60 or greenback cab (e.g.: 1960 AC or AV).
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by AdamDK
How did I forget Mr Orange himself, Jinskee!

But thanks anyway.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I would have to recommend Laneys as well, if you have the chance to try/buy one.

The VH100r is a fantastic amp for the price, easily competitive with a 5150/6505 imo + that it has got a separate clean channel, and both the clean and the dirty channel has separate EQ's and drive boosts, making it an extremely well rounded amp. It also has a good amount of gain on tap, with a litte boost easily sufficient for death metal imo.

The 6505 i tried at a local store i actually didn't really impress me as much as i would've want it too, imo it was way too fizzy sounding at gain levels sufficient for melodeath and death metal and no i didn't just max the gain out for OMGz brOOtalz because that just sounded awful. But i also tried it at lower gain and played a little out in the fields by gary moore and that it did just great imo, that was a part of the amp that is not so often heard in soundclips.

Given that i had limited time trying to dial sounds in i probably could've got a better high gain sound out of it but i really tried to get that fizz at higher gain out, unfortunately to no avail.

This post got way bigger than i first intended, what i wanted to say was mainly that you shouldn't rule smaller brands like Laney out, they do make outstanding amps for the price.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Quote by Trailen
I would have to recommend Laneys as well, if you have the chance to try/buy one.

The VH100r is a fantastic amp for the price, easily competitive with a 5150/6505 imo + that it has got a separate clean channel, and both the clean and the dirty channel has separate EQ's and drive boosts, making it an extremely well rounded amp. It also has a good amount of gain on tap, with a litte boost easily sufficient for death metal imo.

The 6505 i tried at a local store i actually didn't really impress me as much as i would've want it too, imo it was way too fizzy sounding at gain levels sufficient for melodeath and death metal and no i didn't just max the gain out for OMGz brOOtalz because that just sounded awful. But i also tried it at lower gain and played a little out in the fields by gary moore and that it did just great imo, that was a part of the amp that is not so often heard in soundclips.

Given that i had limited time trying to dial sounds in i probably could've got a better high gain sound out of it but i really tried to get that fizz at higher gain out, unfortunately to no avail.

This post got way bigger than i first intended, what i wanted to say was mainly that you shouldn't rule smaller brands like Laney out, they do make outstanding amps for the price.

Except you live in Europe, Laneys are much cheaper there so you get more for the price.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I had a laney gh50l a while back, sold it and got a 5150 no contest. Key to the 5150 is keep the presence low and get the post up to about 2.5+ and then you've got yourself a sweet amp. If you cant play loud then it might not be for you. That said my GH50L was louder than the 5150.
Quote by Trailen

What cab did you play the 6505 on? 1960 A/B?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

Its [fireball] NOT versatile. Its a spartan amp made for blow you against the ground. And thats what its good at.
1 gain knob/channel, 1 volume/channel, 1 EQ and PLAY! No fancy schmancy stuff to break your head on. It just does what its designed for: make your intestins to want to go to the toilet.

agreed. without a bunch of pedals, the fireball has two channels- clean/slightly breaking up, and modern metal. that's it. all these eejits saying it can do the classic stuff too have probably tried other engls which can do a range of tones, but the fireball isn't the engl which can do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KillingMachine
I'm really interested in this amp and I know it can do a heavy distortion and everything but can it still produce a good rock sound for exemple van halen?

not really, no. at least without a lot of pedals. and by the time you buy those, you could probably buy an amp which would do all those tones out of the box...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. without a bunch of pedals, the fireball has two channels- clean/slightly breaking up, and modern metal. that's it. all these eejits saying it can do the classic stuff too have probably tried other engls which can do a range of tones, but the fireball isn't the engl which can do that.

I was actually talking about both amps
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl

if you ask me (apart from the sub-par cleans) the 5150/6505 is more versatile than the fireball.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
True, but you still cant call it versatile...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
yeah, it's definitely aimed at the harder stuff. by "more versatile", i mean it'll do hard rock and metal, whereas the fireball will only really do modern metal...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by convictionless
yeah, but if your looking for a good van halen rock sound i would suggest a 6505+

AHH **** I LOST THE GAME!!

nice icon btw

And I have read a decent amount of posts and watched videos until my eyes melted and believe that the Fireball is a pretty good amp for stuff like rock. I have heard good and bad things about the clean channel.

Ultimately is subjective.
John X might like the clean and dislike the gain
Susy Y might like the gain and dislike the clean
Basically be true to yourself and BUY WHAT YOU LIKE!!

Hope this helps some...
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Page 1 of 2