I think I'm alright with hammer ons and pull offs in general but I'm having a little trouble when trying to play Thunderstruck by AC/DC. I think the main problem is when I'm pulling off to the open string, sometimes it makes such a loud errie noise than the other notes. If hand position matters, my pink and ring fingers perfectly symmetrical to each other in an angled position and the other fingers and square.
I get the same thing, I'll be interested in any help or advice

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
just practice...i had the same problem.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Yeah I think I'm getting a hang of it after a bit of pratice. I have another question though.. my 2 middle fingers shouldn't be hovering way above the string, right? Should I try to keep them as close to the string as possible without it touching? Usually this isn't a problem when hitting notes but when I'm doing all hammers on/pull off apparently it is.
I rest one of my picking fingers lightly on the high E and leave the pick against on the G to keep them muted during that riff.
If the open notes are louder you're probably pulling off way too hard; try and control you hand a bit more so you're only pulling off enough to sound the note rather than attacking it too hard and getting too much volume.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If the open notes are louder you're probably pulling off way too hard; try and control you hand a bit more so you're only pulling off enough to sound the note rather than attacking it too hard and getting too much volume.

QFT.
Maybe try lightly muting the string too.
-D
This is a clever, witty signature. Rofl at my glory.
are you talking about the main riff?
i just alternate pick the whole thing
i've gotten the timing down perfectly, so it sounds good
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker

Wow, that sounds pretty hard.

Anyway, I had the same problem.

Try to relax your fingers, that can help.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Quote by AeroRocker

Yeah its easier imo to alternate pick it, which is what i believe they do in the studio. But on stage they do the hammers and pull offs.
Angus Young has never played Thunderstruck with hammer ons and pull-offs live. He only once did it in the video. He always plays it with alternate picking live and in the studio. You can even hear it in the song: the little "pec" sound the pick makes when it hits the strings.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Angus Young has never played Thunderstruck with hammer ons and pull-offs live. He only once did it in the video. He always plays it with alternate picking live and in the studio. You can even hear it in the song: the little "pec" sound the pick makes when it hits the strings.

tis true, im new here by the way, only been playing 3 months, and i can nearly alternate to the song in time
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
I read about somewhere that in the recording of Thunderstruck, Angus took off the other string(s) because he's having some problems on the execution. So he did that to be able to execute a nice and clean hammer-ons and pull-offs. And yes on live, he alternate picks 'em.
Quote by camotehead
I read about somewhere that in the recording of Thunderstruck, Angus took off the other string(s) because he's having some problems on the execution. So he did that to be able to execute a nice and clean hammer-ons and pull-offs. And yes on live, he alternate picks 'em.

He put tape on the other strings and alternate picked the entire thing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Raijouta

I'm only repeating what he himself said in a video.