I'm considering getting some active pickups, (I know many of you would suggest passives, but I do enjoy the sound of them for metal) and I was wondering if I should go for Blackouts or if I should get EMGs and mod them with two 9v batteries? Take note: I barely have enough room for one 9v, so some routing would be required for two batteries. Also, is the EMG 85 suitable as a bridge pickup? Or just a neck pickup?
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
I think the 85 is designed to just be a neck pickup. And 18v EMG's would be pretty cool, but I've heard a demo with blackouts with really high overdrive, and it sounded sweet. It's really up to you what style you like.. Check out some vids on youtube maybe.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by 11millerz
what guitar do u have?
I have a PRS SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
What exactly does the 18V mod do?

And I prefer Blackouts personally.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
BLACKOUTS ftw!
there one of the better actives out their, basically a seymour duncan distortion with a active circut.
Quote by Slanderous666
What exactly does the 18V mod do?

And I prefer Blackouts personally.
It gives it more headroom, which gives it a more organic sound. Also, in responce to the comment about the Blackout 18V mod, you don't really need it. Blackouts are by themselves more organic than stock EMGs.
-Bugera 333XL 212
I like the EMGs in my Schecter, maybe the 18 volt mod would make them better. And the 85 is a bitchin bridge pickup; go ask Reb Beach (Winger), Adam D and Joel Stroezel (Killswitch Engage), Nick Hippa and Phil Sgrosso (As I Lay Dying) and a ton of other artists that use the 85 or 89 in the bridge of their guitars.
I though my EMG's in my SG sounded good until I got my Jackson with Dunks. The JB/Jazz combo is pretty sick.

My 85 in the neck sounds better.

I did the 18v mod... meh. Nothing Earth shattering.
Maybe the SG isn't the right guitar for them.