Would a Preamp pedal just bypass the preamp already in the amp? I was thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem, and was wondering if it would work like my current distortion pedal (a Metal Muff with Top Boost).
Quote by stringmagician
You have ticked me off and if I was a mod, you'd be banned right now, but lucky for your ass I'm not a mod.

You're the kind of people that make forums completely useless.
Not if you plug it into the amp's input, though anything can bypass the preamp if you plug it straight into the effects return though.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Well, I have a Krank Rev. Jr.

I guess my point is this- what exactly does a Preamp pedal do? My guess would be that it bypasses the preamp tube in the amp itself.

And what is an "effects return"?
Quote by stringmagician
You have ticked me off and if I was a mod, you'd be banned right now, but lucky for your ass I'm not a mod.

Last edited by Someone18 at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by Someone18
Well, I have a Krank Rev. Jr.

I guess my point is this- what exactly does a Preamp pedal do? My guess would be that it bypasses the preamp tube in the amp itself.

And what is an "effects return"?

The effects return is part of the FX loop. If your amp has an effects loop, you would put delays and modulation effects into their, because the loop bypasses the preamp and goes straight to the power amp. Or something like that.

If you were to plug a preamp into the effects return, you would basicly only be using the power section of the amp, bypassing the preamp.

EDIT: I'm no expert, I'm just going off of some things I've heard around on the forums, so hopefully a wiser person could confirm this, maybe elaborate on what I'm saying.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
So, if I were to plug the preamp pedal in via the normal method (guitar to pedal, pedal to amp), what exactly would the pedal... do? If it wouldn't bypass the preamp, then would it function as a distortion pedal? On the head, there is only one input (besides the speaker cable jack in the back, of course)- the basic input jack on the front.

So, basically what I am saying is, how would I plug this in and work it like it should be used?
Quote by stringmagician

Would using a preamp pedal really even alter the tone that much? Would it make a big difference?
Quote by stringmagician

Quote by E V H 5150
T
If you were to plug a preamp into the effects return, you would basicly only be using the power section of the amp, bypassing the preamp.

EDIT: I'm no expert, I'm just going off of some things I've heard around on the forums, so hopefully a wiser person could confirm this, maybe elaborate on what I'm saying.

You do have a point but technically no, the pre-amp in the actual amplifier is still being used to generate the signal. If you are on the dirty channel of the amp, the amp will apply the clipping needed for the distortion and then the signal is passed on to the fx loop. Effectively, if you engaged the preamp pedal, it would add distoriton to the amp's distortion, which would be very muddy and on an amp like like a Krank Rev, it would be terribly fizzy and trebly.

Essentially, you cannot avoid the pre-amp of an amplifier, because even with the clean signal, the pre-amp is what generates and amplifies that signal as it is passed to the power amp and blown up to the appropriate volume. With an amp like yours TS, you don't need a distoriton pedal, and if you did have one, you would use it on the clean channel through the main input. With your Krank, the best thing would be an overdrive pedal that would tighten the gain up and boost your signal.

IncuEdit: I also forgot to mention that a pre-amp pedal is essentially an additional pre-amp outside the amplifier, it doesn't mean that it bypasses the amplifier's pre-amp section. Rackmounted pre-amps do that adn they are fed into a separate power-amp or looped out of the amplifier through the pre-amp in and pre-amp out.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Aug 17, 2008,
I heard some of the samples of the Twin Tube Mayhem on SD's website and I really like it. And, as it turns out, I do have an Effects Return on the back of the head. Completely forgot about that.

So, what you are saying is that if I did buy the pedal, I would engage the pedal on the Clean channel, with the pedal adding the distortion and overdrive? Would I still plug it in via the Effects Return, or through the normal input?
Quote by stringmagician

Last edited by Someone18 at Aug 17, 2008,
If you're not going to use the Krank's distortion, then why didn't you just get a Fender?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well i cant say anything bout the effects return thingy cus my orange has no loop.

But what i will say is that i love this pedal. Its exactly what i wanted, gives me those modern tones with lots of gain as the rocker 30 is a little more vintage voiced, I recommend it but only if you know what you want it for.

I dont know much about the krank but isnt it already a modern sounding high gain amp?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
The thing about the amp is that it sounds too... "flabby", I guess. Not a tight sound in the least. The gain on it is fine, but it sounds extremely muddy. The Metal Muff tightens up the tone and gives it a nice overdrive boost, but it has a bit of feedback that I don't like. I also use the pedal to give it more gain at lower volume levels.

Maybe I should just pick up a dedicated overdrive pedal. Does anyone have any experience with the Krank Krankshaft? And would I be able to use it in conjunction with the Metal Muff without having to get a pedalboard?
Quote by stringmagician

Quote by Someone18
The thing about the amp is that it sounds too... "flabby", I guess. Not a tight sound in the least. The gain on it is fine, but it sounds extremely muddy. The Metal Muff tightens up the tone and gives it a nice overdrive boost, but it has a bit of feedback that I don't like. I also use the pedal to give it more gain at lower volume levels.

Maybe I should just pick up a dedicated overdrive pedal. Does anyone have any experience with the Krank Krankshaft? And would I be able to use it in conjunction with the Metal Muff without having to get a pedalboard?

"Put it in front of the amp, with low gain, tone wherever you think it sounds open but not harsh, and about unity gain. We're not looking to have it boosting things – that's what the gain knob is for. We're looking to have the pedal tighten the sound, compress and juice the mids somewhat, and clean up the high end. That's it."
Quoted from Ultimate Metal. And yes, replace the Metal Muff with the Krankshaft or some other OD.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?