I'm thinking of getting the ML79 to replace my crappy Epi Les Paul Special II and just wanted to see if you guys thought it was good or not. And if not then what would you recommend.
I like my Epiphone Les Paul Special II more than the Deans personally. However, if you want suggestions on guitars you need to let people know how much money you have to spend and what kind of music you play.

Rule of thumb is try out guitars and whichever one you're most comfortable with and feels best to you is the one you should get. Keep an ear open for the sound you're looking for. Go into guitar shops with an open mind and try not to be biased towards any companies. This will maximize your chances of finding an awesome guitar.
ML79s are decent but stay away from Razor backs
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Well my budget is about $600-$800 and i play mostly hard rock, metal and occasionally blues.
yea id say a Dean ML79 without the floyd would be good for you, also look at Dean Cadillacs, Epiphone Explorers and epiphone flying Vs,
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
What would the difference between the one with the floyd and the regular one?
I've heard that a lot of the lower end licensed dean FR's aren't very good and the last thing you'd want to be stuck with is a bad floyd. I'd say the fixed bridge version unless you absolutely need a floyd.

As far as I know, the 79F is the same as the regular just with a LFR.
Contact this guy:

http://www.brgmore.com/

Great Dean dealer. I've gotten 2 from him. Best guy i've ever dealt with. ask for Steve.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Definitely go for the ml 79. It's a very good guitar for the price and quite underated because of it being made by dean. Steer clear of the one with the floyd though and the razorbacks.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
ML79s are decent but stay away from Razor backs

you must have never played a razor back. they are great guitars. i have 2 razorbacks and i wouldnt give both of them away for one les paul
Yeah ML 79's are a great alternative to superstrats or budget LP copies. Just make sure you buy a nice case for it as the guitar itself is quite big.
Quote by DarkKing
What would the difference between the one with the floyd and the regular one?

The Floyd is low quality, and it makes re-stringing a hard process for rather newer players. You could sink the bridge and such if you string it wrong. I'd only go with the Floyd if you love squealing like a piggy, like Dime.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Aug 17, 2008,
The neck on mine is a just a bit fatter then the one on a friends MIM strat if that helps. But it's very smooth and well dressed. It plays pretty fast. I think you'll like the quality of the 79 ML.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by DarkKing
Well my budget is about $600-$800 and i play mostly hard rock, metal and occasionally blues.

Get a Jackson, or an Epi Prophecy Series guitar. They pwn Dean. Schecter is good too.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by dean_reaper
you must have never played a razor back. they are great guitars. i have 2 razorbacks and i wouldnt give both of them away for one les paul

they are nice but let be honest they are kinda overpriced not too much but hey money is precious :P
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
You won't be disappointed with the '79 Series ML's. Because of my love for Deans (And the fact I don't wanna desimate my '84 Vintage ML) I'm playing a Cherry Burst one now in gigs. The stock pickups aren't bad, but it's pretty much tradition to change them out in MLs. Nothing screams Rock than an ML

Your question about the necks. They're not thin, nor are they thick. They have a soft V-shaped neck that's very comfortable to the hands. And I have a Razorback that I love, they're not a bad guitar, they just take a weebit of tweaking :0
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]