Page 1 of 2
This thread is dedicated to reccomending movies based on musicians and the music industry. For everyone who wants to find reccomendations for movies basede on this subject, look here!

When posting, provide the movie title, a small blurb as to why a musician would be interested in the movie, and a reccomendation as to wether or not it is worth watching (Recommended, Maybe, Not Recommended).

I will start off.

This is Spinal Tap - This is a parody of the famous metal musicians of the 80's. Filming as a documentery of a fake metal band, you follow the band through ridiculously familiar scenarios, all the while connecting with the odd intricacies associated with artists of this age.

Verdict - Recommended. Most of the puns in this film will hit hard with any musician, not just metal lovers.

The Mighty Wind - Made by the same makers as Spinal Tap, this film similarly provides a mockumentary of the Folk genre. The mockumentary follows three folk bands based on different niches of the folk genre as they try to preform a tribute concert.

Verdict - Maybe. Although old Folkies will adore this film, many of the jokes are subtle puns that only a true fan of the genre will appreciate, although there are some exceptions.

Juno - One of the most popular indie films of the year, this film follows a young musician as she has to deal with pregnancy. Although the film is not entirely dedicated to music, music plays as a dominant theme throughout the film. Musicians will also appreciate the character of the adopting father, who plays the role as a musician stuck in limbo in the music industry, making enough money to live, but inable to make it big.

Verdict - Recommended. The entire film is a dramatic rollercoaster, keeping music as a constant theme makes it apprciated by musicians while simultaneously making it one of the best movies of the year.

Keep them coming, everyone!

Edit: So many typoes, so little time.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Aug 16, 2008,
I'm not sure the title, but there's a video I saw at Blockbuster about Bob Dylan...Oh, it's "I'm Not There" I think.

Also, Across The Universe, which dictates the story behind some of the Beatle's songs.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
The Commitments - Irish band trying to make it big in Dublin, I could really go into a lot more but it's been a while since I've seen it.

School of Rock
School of rock-blah blah blah this movie kicks ass
Shine a light-see school of rock
Across the Universe-see Shine a light
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Walk the line-Johnny Cash
Some Kind of Monster-Metallica
Heavier than Heaven-Nirvana
Ray-Ray Charles
ten past Sixx-Nikki Sixx
Hendrix-Jimi Hendrix
use it!-The Search Bar!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
If you will look, there are only two threads somewhat related to this subject. One failed so miserably that it does not count, the other is which musician deserves a movie, which is different from this one.

This thread is entirely legit.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
All You Need Is Cash.

It's awesome.
Well my friends are gone and my hair is grey
I ache in the places where I used to play.
Crossroads
August Rush
Drumline
Rockstar...I think that's what it's called
Hard Day's Night
Help
the one where you do the chris wolstenholme BOTM kranoscorp!!!!!..... anyway
Sid & Nancy
Good film, reccomended
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by mattvl
Crossroads
August Rush
Drumline
Rockstar...I think that's what it's called
Hard Day's Night
Help

August Rush was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. No offence to you, kid, but that movie sucked lol.
how about
T-Rex-Born to Boogie
Slade in Flame
Zep's Song Remains the Same

Both great movies
also, Kiss-Phantom of the Park (AKA Attack of the Phantom)
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by CaptainJack666
the one where you do the chris wolstenholme BOTM kranoscorp!!!!!..... anyway
Sid & Nancy
Good film, reccomended

My computer contracted the elcrtonic form of aids, so don't expect it for two more weeks. I am actually using a friend's extremely crappy computer now, it crashes if more than three web pages or up.

To continue onto wayne's world,

Wayne's World 2 - This movie follows Wayne and Garth as they try to host a large concert while Wayne tries to find the meaning of life.

Verdict - Recommended. Although it is typically not as good as the first movie, the duo are so sincerely funny that the film cannot be missed.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by InvaderTSN
Isn't that movie really bad?

its hilarious
Crossroads
Waynes World
Tenacious D
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Walk Hard is comic genius... Not sure if it really counts though.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Still Crazy

They were "Strange Fruit". Some called them the greatest rock band of the '70s. They haven't played together for 20 years. No wonder they're worried about their performance.

Verdit - Fun British movie about the aging rockers.
The Blues Brothers

Need I say more?
██████████████████████████████
Song Remains the Same--Zeppelin
Dont look back--Bob Dylan biography from back in '67
High Fidelity--w/ John Cusack and he owns a record store...it rox
Jailhouse Rock--Its Mutherf*kin elvis man
The Doors--bout jim morrison w/ val kilmer
Quote by GmacD
Chicken and waffles motha F*cka

Quote by Joey Radical
Just be a man and **** your mom.
Quote by gunners fan
Walk the line-Johnny Cash
Some Kind of Monster-Metallica
Heavier than Heaven-Nirvana
Ray-Ray Charles
ten past Sixx-Nikki Sixx
Hendrix-Jimi Hendrix
use it!-The Search Bar!

heavier then heaven is not out yet 2009 untitled Kurt Cobain Project according too IMDB

about a son.2006 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790769/

Last days, based on Kurt Cobain http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403217/
DETROIT ROCK CITY!

amazing movie
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Rock Star - This is a movie about every musicians dream (to be a member of there favourite band). Its about one mans dreams coming true, but once he's at the top of his game he falls victim to the drugs and challenges he has to face.

Verdict - Recommended. It was a great and captivating movie even if you weren't a musician.

Almost Famous - This movie is about a 15 year old kid, hired by Rolling Stone magazine to tour with, and write about Stillwater, an up and coming rock band. much to the chagrin of his mother. The movie follows William (main character) as he falls face first to confront life, love, and lingo

Verdict - Recommended. Like Rock Star I also thought this movie was great, any time its on T.V i would always make sure to watch it.
Quote by Axe Samurai
Rock Star - This is a movie about every musicians dream (to be a member of there favourite band). Its about one mans dreams coming true, but once he's at the top of his game he falls victim to the drugs and challenges he has to face.

Verdict - Recommended. It was a great and captivating movie even if you weren't a musician.

It's also based on Judas Priest after Rob Halford left and they hired Tim Owens.

Steel Dragon ftw.
Juno is hardly to do music at all.. It's also not an indie film, it was made by Fox Searchlight Pictures on a budget of something like $20million. If that's indie, then sign me up. Also, it is absolutely terrible.

What about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? And the second one, though I forgot it's name. It's not really a "musician based movie" but they are trying to make a band and it's a very fun movie to watch.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Walk Hard: a parody of Walk the Line. Very funny and very good soundtrack.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by kranoscorp
This thread is dedicated to reccomending movies based on musicians and the music industry. For everyone who wants to find reccomendations for movies basede on this subject, look here!

When posting, provide the movie title, a small blurb as to why a musician would be interested in the movie, and a reccomendation as to wether or not it is worth watching (Recommended, Maybe, Not Recommended).

I will start off.

This is Spinal Tap - This is a parody of the famous metal musicians of the 80's. Filming as a documentery of a fake metal band, you follow the band through ridiculously familiar scenarios, all the while connecting with the odd intricacies associated with artists of this age.

Verdict - Recommended. Most of the puns in this film will hit hard with any musician, not just metal lovers.

The Great Wind - Made by the same makers as Spinal Tap, this film similarly provides a mockumentary of the Folk genre. The mockumentary follows three folk bands based on different niches of the folk genre as they try to preform a tribute concert.

Verdict - Maybe. Although old Folkies will adore this film, many of the jokes are subtle puns that only a true fan of the genre will appreciate, although there are some exceptions.

Juno - One of the most popular indie films of the year, this film follows a young musician as she has to deal with pregnancy. Although the film is not entirely dedicated to music, music plays as a dominant theme throughout the film. Musicians will also appreciate the character of the adopting father, who plays the role as a musician stuck in limbo in the music industry, making enough money to live, but inable to make it big.

Verdict - Recommended. The entire film is a dramatic rollercoaster, keeping music as a constant theme makes it apprciated by musicians while simultaneously making it one of the best movies of the year.

Keep them coming, everyone!

Its called a Mighty wind lol, id change that before some christopher guest elitist sees that
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's also based on Judas Priest after Rob Halford left and they hired Tim Owens.

Steel Dragon ftw.

steel dragon is great, it consists of zakk wylde, jeff scott soto, and jason bonham
i have a pic with zakk on my profile :]
Page 1 of 2