It's MUCH faster, but much more expensive.

I turned one into a 16 GB USB drive :P
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
It's MUCH faster, but much more expensive.

I turned one into a 16 GB USB drive :P

faster than like 10000rpm velocirapters?!?
I gots one. It's pretty solid. and... uh... state
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by Phazer
faster than like 10000rpm velocirapters?!?

I got mine for 30 bucks from my friend, and it runs at 10,000 RPM, yes.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I got mine for 30 bucks from my friend, and it runs at 10,000 RPM, yes.

whereabouts?? im in edinburgh

edit-i should read properly
Quote by shameonthenight
what the hell does "solid-state" mean in this case?
Flash memory, instead of the regular platter technology that hard drives mainly use. You can drop it, and the data on the flash chip will be fine, and it's much, much smaller.
It's already been said, but tube hard drives are better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
It's already been said, but tube hard drives are better.

ive never seen one and cant find any on youtube....
Quote by MustangMan311
Flash memory, instead of the regular platter technology that hard drives mainly use. You can drop it, and the data on the flash chip will be fine, and it's much, much smaller.

i though flash was the exact oposite of hard drive... nd what is this.. in ur man .. man sry im lost :S
Quote by Phazer

Ahh so innocent
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by Huffman
i though flash was the exact oposite of hard drive... nd what is this.. in ur man .. man sry im lost :S

Well, it's unlike RAM in that when the power goes off, the data stays, but it's the same technology, basically. So, saying "Hard disk drive" or "HDD" would be wrong, because they aren't on disks. But, it's basically the same principle as the memory in your computer, in that it's stored on memory chips, made usually by Samsung.
Quote by Huffman

A normal hard drive uses a spinning plate with some kind of magnetic stuff I've forgot about to store data. The arms with the magnets hovers a few nanometers above the surface of the plate, and even the slightest contact might ruin it, which means that it is very sensitive to blunt force trauma to say it that way.
A solid state drive uses a technology similar to flash drives. I'm not sure how it works, but from what I've gathered it basically "flashes"/burns the data into something in a way, but this limits the amount of time it can be reused. Every flash based data storage unit can only add and remove data a limited number of times because of this, but solid state is a bit different in this regard though. And there is nothing new about the technology really. My father told about when he and his team (him being a electronics engineer, most of the rest of them being programmers) in the 80's used solid state cards to test hardware. Made stuff boot up in an instant, but didn't have that much room.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Phazer

I was kidding. I was referring to the general consensus that tube amps are better than solid state amps. As far as my knowledge serves me, there is not a mass produced tube hard drive. Although it may exist...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Huffman

Normal Hard Drives save data my recording it magnetically through binary encryption. By using flash, it is less damaged by physical abuse, and can be much smaller.

Quote by darkarbiter7

I was kidding. I was referring to the general consensus that tube amps are better than solid state amps. As far as my knowledge serves me, there is not a mass produced tube hard drive. Although it may exist...

Tubes were used in the first computers, but they were bulky and not efficient.
OMG LIEK TOOB IS LIEK WAY BETTAR THAN SOLID STATE!

100 WATTS OF TOOB POWAH!

but seriously. i've never heard of a solid state hard drive.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby