Hey everyone. I have my beloved yamaha pacifica which was my first guitar, and I'm going to be ripping out all the old pickups and just have an emg 81 in it. I've bought the 81, I just need to wire it. But what I'm stuck on is if I need to solder a ground wire to it anywhere? It doesent say I need to on the diagram but I'm still confused. I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, I've never wired a pickup in before! Any help would be much appretiated ! Cheers
81's dont need grounding wires
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
both right and wrong. but no, the main ground never reaches the bridge. otherwise you have a risk of a little shock to the lips near a microphone. or at least EMG says so. It is still grounded to the input jack though. So on the input jack you've still got the negative battery terminal, ground, and hot.

and please, run the 81 at 18 volts. It's much more open.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
okay well im not sure where to soler the wire?
there is i wire already soldered to the back of the trem, so i can use that but what do i solder it to? im really confused haha
no, trem does not ground to anything. you don't want your strings to end up as part of the circuit unless you want a nice shock to the lips. SO

solder circuit normally, bare of HB wire goes to the back of the pot. this is techniquely "ground". basically, do circuit as normal, but remove that ground wire from the bridge/trem you had on there, or tape it off or something, just make sure it isn't part of the circuit. everything is normal, just don't ground strings.

got it?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
ahh okay i understand now, sorry about being a noob haha.
Thanks heaps man, im about to solder it up now, ill put in a pic when its done haha.
cheers