the tone i trying to get is from the divine wings of tragedy, symphony X album.

heres a song from that album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdK_CXYyzAk&feature=related

normally i would think its low mids but it seems to cut through a little bit and i was wondering if maybe he's using some flat-wounds and no treble. ive used a spector with everything at 10 and no treble and it sounded a little like this i would just like some other comments. of course it may be no mids too.
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Aug 16, 2008,
Wow... Can't really help but damn the bass in that song is ridiculous... Does he freakin sweep tap :O.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Wow... Can't really help but damn the bass in that song is ridiculous... Does he freakin sweep tap :O.

during one part yes, he also has a melodic solo somewhere,
love that song.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ele1122
As far as I know, try boosting the bass and low mids.

this for when you play low... but it doesn't explain his beautiful high strings

the dude above: check out the odyssey!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Yeah, Thomas Miller (and Lepond, for that matter) is a beast.

But as for the tone, I'd be pretty generous with the low mids, and maybe cut a little bit on the highs. Enough to mellow out the tone a bit, but still have presence when you go up on the fretboard, y'know?
Last edited by CurbstompBass at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by CurbstompBass
But as for the tone, I'd be pretty generous with the low mids, and maybe cut a little bit on th highs. Enough to mellow out the tone a bit, but still have presence when you go up on the fretboard, y'know?

i agree with this
x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Yeah, Thomas Miller (and Lepond, for that matter) is a beast.

But as for the tone, I'd be pretty generous with the low mids, and maybe cut a little bit on the highs. Enough to mellow out the tone a bit, but still have presence when you go up on the fretboard, y'know?

lepond is better, ever heard that insane tapping part of his during egypt?
and it is not even a solo
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Wow sorry to not be any help here but I really like the song. I checked out more of their songs and they are really good ! Thanks, my new band to listen to !
Quote by SynisterGates!
Wow sorry to not be any help here but I really like the song. I checked out more of their songs and they are really good ! Thanks, my new band to listen to !

NP, i suggest the album the divine wings of tragedy, damn good album. opening track is killer. and thanks to everyone for the tips hopefully within a few months ill have a new 4 string and im gonna set it up for this tone while im leaving the 4 string for my brighter sound.
Quote by MetalBass 77
NP, i suggest the album the divine wings of tragedy, damn good album. opening track is killer. and thanks to everyone for the tips hopefully within a few months ill have a new 4 string and im gonna set it up for this tone while im leaving the 4 string for my brighter sound.

I'll definitely give it a go !