I want an electric set up for slide and I was wondering, since the action gets set sky high and the frets arent heavily used I was thinking I could buy a beat up used one or a squire bullet for cheap and just set it up because having a bad feeling or badly intoned/ leveled/ finished fretboard or a slightly warped neck a cheapo guitar would probably come with would hardly matter when playing slide. I dont want to play on garbage but it seems that for a slide only guitar the squire or pawn shop special would play well if properly set up. Anybody ever try it? Any ideas?
Dont ever buy a squier bullet. Even if your just going to break it for laughs its still not worth the money.
Quote by red18420
Dont ever buy a squier bullet. Even if your just going to break it for laughs its still not worth the money.

Don't break Bullets for laughs.

Break them to destroy them.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I use a warped 80's Japanese acoustic for slide personally. The intonation is horrible, and the action is sky high around the 10th fret, but the thing has a great tone, so I only use slide with it. I'd say go for it. But go for an older guitar, so you've got age mixed with the tone.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Thank you acousticpunk and you other two i personally dont have the heart to break any guitar (they have SOULS man)
Rock is the art developed in Hell, what are you talking about, souls?

PFFT.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
if you believe in hell you believe in souls and also i think rock and roll was a collaboration between god and satan how else can you explain the perfection that is "little wing"
PS im also looking at harmonicas while were at it any ideas?
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
I want an electric set up for slide and I was wondering, since the action gets set sky high and the frets arent heavily used I was thinking I could buy a beat up used one or a squire bullet for cheap and just set it up because having a bad feeling or badly intoned/ leveled/ finished fretboard or a slightly warped neck a cheapo guitar would probably come with would hardly matter when playing slide. I dont want to play on garbage but it seems that for a slide only guitar the squire or pawn shop special would play well if properly set up. Anybody ever try it? Any ideas?

Intonation doesn't really matter if you're playing slide, if you want to learn the style then a cheap guitar specifically set up for it is the way to go.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The fret board would become a non issue with sky high flat radius and a slide. Look at how high a pedal steel strings are and most dont have frets just marks so you know where the frets would be. So yea a cheap guitar only for slide wont hurt anything.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
if you believe in hell you believe in souls and also i think rock and roll was a collaboration between god and satan how else can you explain the perfection that is "little wing"
PS im also looking at harmonicas while were at it any ideas?

Hohner Marine Band harmonicas are really nice for the money

Also, for the slide guitar, anything that's got a nice tone is great. Just wack the action high and play that slide baby
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
1. Slide guitarists don't push down on the strings to fret them. You'll want the action really high.
2. Frets would only be used as a marker.
3. Intonation will not matter since you are not fretting.