right now, i am looking for a new bass sound and i am trying to get a bassy growl that can cut through the mix easily too.

the equipment i have is an Ibanez sr 505 and a Carvin BR 15.

any questions please ask and thank you.
Quote by blocbody
right now, i am looking for a new bass sound and i am trying to get a bassy growl that can cut through the mix easily too.

the equipment i have is an Ibanez sr 505 and a Carvin BR 15.

any questions please ask and thank you.

Nice bass!

15 watts?
That won't cut through any mix.

To get a growl on my line6 all I have to do is turn it past 12o'clock.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
i think you want a bit of distortion or bass fuzz. If by growl you mean a sound similar to the Strokes Juicebox bass tone, then you want some distortion.
Quote by Victory2134
Nice bass!

15 watts?
That won't cut through any mix.

To get a growl on my line6 all I have to do is turn it past 12o'clock.

its 120 watts so yeah

and is there any other way to get it besides using a distortion pedal or some fuzz?
Quote by blocbody
its 120 watts so yeah

and is there any other way to get it besides using a distortion pedal or some fuzz?

More wattage would cut through the mix but if you're stuck with 120 then boost your mids.

Many bass amps distort at higher volumes, turn it to 11 and boost your mids/treble and hope that you get the tone you want.
I've heard that Roto's have a very nice growl after the first week or so of playing, you might want to try those.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by ccmetz2020
Maybe try dialing in some low mids?

i think i have enough... maybe

from before, my really bassy sound,

my knobs
bass=9
mids=3
highs=-3

then my 5 band graphic equalizer (from left to right, each marker on the amp=1)
1, 1, 0, -1, -1
M'kay, boost your mids on your bass' Active EQ and do your graphic EQ like this: 1, 2, 2, 0, -1. You should get around the tone you want. The key for growl is mids.

Mess around with stuff until you get what you like, that's how you learn to not need to the bass forum, which is ultimately what we want for all bassists.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Aug 17, 2008,
boost the mids, roto's will help
a bit bass boosting doesn't hurt either

edit: I use this for growl (and the crush on the b-string)
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
heh heh

everyone wants a nice growl!

sounds like you're not a fan of the high end with the set-up you have at the moment

so i would suggest on you're knbobs somethine like

Bass - 7/8/9

Middle - 5/6/7

Treble- 3/4/5

on you're graphic eq

1-3-2-1-0

a smooth growl is about finding the right Curve, with the Curve you'll get a nice well rounded tone any bassist will appreciate

unless you want a punch in the face from one frequency, which I sometimes want wil my Low mids.

but try this out, play around with everything. figure out exactly how each changable thing changes your sound, then dial in what you think you want, then go from there. thats what I did/do every week...

stupid tastes always changing, and strings aging
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Neo Evil11
boost the mids, roto's will help
a bit bass boosting doesn't hurt either

edit: I use this for growl (and the crush on the b-string)

i have used roto's but they dont sell them in a heavy guage for the 5 string so i have to go with d' addario's which i also love.
Quote by blocbody
i have used roto's but they dont sell them in a heavy guage for the 5 string so i have to go with d' addario's which i also love.

I use normals on the 5-string so yeah
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
not certain if it they come in a variety for the 5 string, but on my four string i put in the dimarzio humbuckers and they added a huge growl