I never noticed how nice classical music was to listen to.

I was flipping through the radio stations today, bored with my usual classic rock station, and I came across this station that had a piano and classical guitar duet that just sounded beautiful. After that was this other string arrangement.

I'd really like to find some more of this stuff, can anyone recommend me some CD's or anything to check out?
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
paganini, bach, beatoven, albeniz, scarlatti, cimarosa, giuliani, granados, villa-lobos, guarnieri, chavez;ect. great string composers.
check paganini, bach, vivaldi.
you know the kind of shreddy stuff kids try to do this days.

it's cool to learn songs that were not made for your instrument.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Anything by Bach, Vivaldi, or Beethoven. Although there are several different styles to choose from with many different composers with different styles.
Air on a G string by Bach is my absolute favorite.It's great to improvise over.
Also try the four seasons by vivaldi, no guitar on the original, but again, fantastic to play guitar to, especially the Winter movement.
Also try some Lizt(greatest pianist ever to live) and some Czerny (Lizt's teacher) and even some Danny Elfman if you like modern classical (oxymoron, I know)
"Love truth, Pardon error."-Voltaire

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Gibson Black Beauty
Schecter Avenger
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshal 1962 4X12 cab
Dunlop Jazz III's
Theres a whole ****load of classical to choose from. And most of it isn't actually classical.

"Classical" is misused as it refers to the classical period (music, literature, art etc.) When people say classical music they (more often than not) just mean orchestral music. Classical could mean baroque, romantic etc.

Maybe you should be a bit more specific. You might like music from one period but not the others.
^^ thanks guys
Quote by C O B H C

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Check out John Clarke on youtube

Agustin Barrios Mangore - Vals Op. 8 No. 3

Albinoni - Adagio for Strings in G minor

Anonymous - Romance D' Amour

Anonymous - Spanish Romance

Barbetta - Moresca Detta Le Canarie

Handel - Sarabande

Isaac Manuel Albeniz - Asturias (Leyenda)

Johann Sebastian Bach - Bouree in E Minor BWV 9965
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by HeavyMetaldude
Theres a whole ****load of classical to choose from. And most of it isn't actually classical.

"Classical" is misused as it refers to the classical period (music, literature, art etc.) When people say classical music they (more often than not) just mean orchestral music. Classical could mean baroque, romantic etc.

Maybe you should be a bit more specific. You might like music from one period but not the others.

Not really sure how I can be more specific as I have never really listened to this type of stuff before. I was just asking what would be some good stuff to check out-- maybe so I can find what I do like.
Quote by C O B H C

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I bought a box set called "Classical Masters" for 20 bucks. Got 20 cd's each with a different composer, all the really awesome classical stuff.
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
People like bach and bethooven are the fall out boys and panic at the discos of classical music.

Go download symphony in brass by eric ewazen, the nabucco overture by verdi, and the first mvt of Shostakovitch's 5th symphony...NOW!
Quote by Garou1911
Check out John Clarke on youtube

Agustin Barrios Mangore - Vals Op. 8 No. 3

Albinoni - Adagio for Strings in G minor

Anonymous - Romance D' Amour

Anonymous - Spanish Romance

Barbetta - Moresca Detta Le Canarie

Handel - Sarabande

Isaac Manuel Albeniz - Asturias (Leyenda)

Johann Sebastian Bach - Bouree in E Minor BWV 9965

Adagio for strings is a samuel barber song Unless your talkin about a different one. Idk,
You'll probably like romantic era because they're really chords and melodies, just like modern music, as opposed to baroque, which is about composition techniques such as polyphony and contrapuntal voice leading.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by yellowshirtguy
Not really sure how I can be more specific as I have never really listened to this type of stuff before. I was just asking what would be some good stuff to check out-- maybe so I can find what I do like.

Check out Tchaicovsky's (sp) 1812 Overture, you will have heard it before.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
People like bach and bethooven are the fall out boys and panic at the discos of classical music.

Not really. You're just too much of imbecile to appreciate their subtle ingenuity.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
You'll probably like romantic era because they're really chords and melodies, just like modern music, as opposed to baroque, which is about composition techniques such as polyphony and contrapuntal voice leading.

Contrapuntal ftw!!!

Art of the fugue, contrapunctas IX FTW
Pachelbel's Canon in D. That comedian/guitarist/cellist made it so much cooler.
Quote by bdfs05
u got me

Quote by alyxmelia
your a sick young lady tbh
Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture is great.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by MyImmortal
Mozart's Requiem

Yes. Also, his Don Giovanni opera. His violin concertos are excellent too, especially the one in A major.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not really. You're just too much of imbecile to appreciate their subtle ingenuity.

No, I just think that most of there music is pretty dull, yet they still are extremely popular.

Same way I look at fall out boy and panic at the disco.

I will give you the art of the fugue though. Bad ass
Open this with winamp:
http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=2429&file=filename.pls

To get you in touch more easily, I'd start with some uptempo stuff.
Try this:
Sarasate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xir-5oAWxXE
The last part is amazing.

Vivaldi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St9wYu_WeAM

Tchaikovsky (I LOVE that song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekgP7poLnJY

Beethoven (Listen to the whole thing if you like it. Pay attention to the harmonies. It's amazing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_5z0m7cs0A

Rossini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_onN...feature=related

Mozart (slow, but the awesomeness of it makes up for the lack of speed for you)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swkT07TP-mo

Schubert (also slow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVz...feature=related
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by zeppelinfreak51

I will give you the art of the fugue though. Bad ass

Something tells me that you don't really understand Bach at all.

How can you like his Art of Fugues, but not his other works? The only way this could work is if you just thought that the fugues from that suite were aesthetically interesting without considering what made them work. If you knew what made them work, you'd either like almost all of Bach or not at all.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Stravinsky, Jeux Des Cartes.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by Xiaoxi

Don't get heated. Everyone has their opinions, and the guy gave good recommendations (except for the Beethoven and Bach part).
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

beethoven emperor concerto

bach cello suites

rachmaninovs 2nd and 3rd (and oriental sketch)

Stravinsky rite of spring

Debussy Clair De la Lune or anything
Thanks for all the suggestions, I looked into a lot of what I could find on youtube and I'll check for the rest of what you all recommended tomorrow morning.

Goodnight

Quote by C O B H C

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
well..if by "classical" you mean orchestral music, then there are loads and loads of different people you could listen to. vivaldi, mozart, bach, brahms, beethoven, chopin. Bach's baroque though, and there are others in the romantic period you could check out. technically speaking, the classical period is the time from bach's death to beethoven's death.

but recently, I've been getting into contemporary music, which is basically modern classical. philip glass is really good if you like piano stuff, and if you want to get into atonal stuff, check out schoenburg (sp?) and you could check out john cage to. that guy's pretty wacky.

i could list more, but I don't have my encyclopedia with me.

it's cool you're broadening your musical horizons..there's much more to the musical world than rock and country. i wish more people'd realize that.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
-Anything and everything Shostakovich. Some specific ones are his 5th, 7th, 10th, and 11th symphonies; they are kickass. His string quartets are awesome too, like the 3rd, 7th, and most of all the 8th.
-Then Mahler is good, especially the 5th and 6th symphonies.
-Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" and "Firebird."
--Mussorsgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Night on Bald Mountain" are awesome.
-The Tchaikovsky violin concerto, 1812, "Marche Slave", 1st, 4th, and 6th symphonies are all good.
-Holst's "The Planets"
-Dvorak's cello concerto and his 9th symphony (called the "New World")
-The Bach "Chaconne" is really pretty.
-Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor and his Prelude in G minor.
-Grieg's Piano Concerto in A-minor and "In the Hall of the Mountain King", but usually everything by Grieg is good.
-Saint-Saens's "Introduction et rondo capriccioso" and "Havanaise" are awesome too.
-Bruch violin concerto in G minor
-Mendelssohn's violin concerto in E minor and his octet also is good.
-Brahms violin concerto
-Respighi's "Feste romane"
-Listz "Les Preludes"
-Hindemith's "Symphonic Metamorphosis"
-Ravel's "Tzigane"
-Sarasate's "Carmen Fantasy"
-Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"
-Rimsky-Korsakov's "Capriccio Espagnol"
-Vaughn-Williams's 2nd symphony (London Symphony)
-R. Strauss's "Don Juan"
-Wagner's Rienzi Overture
-Smetana's "Moldau"

your best bet for the best solo recordings for violin at least are done by Heifetz, Itzhak Perlman, Gil Shaham, Vengerov, or Isaac Stern

and for the orchestral works, try to find recordings with Bernstein as the conductor, they are the best...and as for orchestras, the NY Philharmonic is usually the best, Cleveland Symphony is good, the same with San Fransisco and Chicago, and the Berliner Philharmoniker

and I cant think of any more off the top of my head...but usually Romantic and early 20th Century period music is a good place to stick to unless your into all of the crazy **** in contemporary music or you really like Classical and Baroque period music...anyway, good luck on finding some stuff, there is a lot out there to choose from!
Last edited by ll anti-hero ll at Aug 17, 2008,
Call me melodramatic but you haven't lived before you've heard Chopin, or Rachmaninoff
If it's the style that you enjoy I would also suggest listening to some movie soundtracks; A Beautiful Mind (James Horner), Les Miserables[movie] (Basil Poledouris), Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore), Gladiator (Hans Zimmer). Otherwise the can't go wrong with many of the other suggestions in this thread
Quote by HeavyMetaldude
Check out Tchaicovsky's (sp) 1812 Overture, you will have heard it before.

*whistles the tune*

Dead Poets Society anyone?

Gustav Mahler (I mention him all the time but no one else listens to him but me apparently) and Hayden. Handel. Bach.

http://www.classicalarchives.com

is a helpful site

:O AND! There's a movie called The Holiday, it's an ok Chick Flick but Hans Zimmer wrote the music and it almost brought me to tears (not because of the Movie, the music by itself)

Download Maestro for an example.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Aug 18, 2008,