I have some Elixir strings on my electric right now, and I can't stand them!
I could go on forever listing why they suck.

So I'm looking for some good, heavy gauge strings.
I play alot of clean stuff so I'm looking more for some really clean sounding strings.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

And also, save yourself the pain; never buy elixir strings,
I doubt all of them suck, but I like to think so.
i love my elixirs. Get D'addario 11s. I replaced my ernie balls with them and never went back,
DR Pure Blues .11-.50's.

I'm not sure if strings can be really "clean" sounding, but the Pure Blues are quite bright and they have nice bend to them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Try some D'Addarios they have nice tone

edit: mike! beat me to it
I leik music
Last edited by col50 at Aug 17, 2008,
i use DR 11's and they are great.

why dont you like th elixirs?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Acoustic Elixirs are awesome, I've'nt used the electric ones much, but don't say they all are bad.
stangconv, after using DR's, D-Addario's, Ernie Balls, Dunlops, Elixirs and GHS strings, I can confidently to go from Elixirs to Ernie Balls should be labelled as a sin.

I think why you don't like Elixirs is their coating. Are they slippery? The coating wears off after a couple of good plays and they are amazing. Anyway, my second choice is Dunlop strings because they last for quite a while and they sound quite nice as well.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I had Elixer Nano-Webs that were installed on my Carvin when I got it. They were 9's, and I always play with 10's, and they wouldn't tune up at all. I would tune, play for a couple mins, retune, and repeat. Hated 'em. After about an hour I switched em for D'Addario 10
's.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Sendrith
I had Elixer Nano-Webs that were installed on my Carvin when I got it. They were 9's, and I always play with 10's, and they wouldn't tune up at all. I would tune, play for a couple mins, retune, and repeat. Hated 'em. After about an hour I switched em for D'Addario 10
's.

Umm, from my experience, unless you bend your strings a lot when you put them on, your strings won't stay in tune (new strings) for the first day or two.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Well thanks everybody for the help!

I think mine were the Light Nanoweb. but theres so many different kind I forgot.

And for why I don't like Mine, they sound really "tiny". and when I detune there like springs! they bounce all over the place, and are extremely loose.
and the coating falls off when I slide up and down on the strings, and also from picking.
Theres no "really clean" sounding string.

Its all in your picking
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Uh, you do know that if you detune, you'll need thicker gauge strings, right? Maybe that's why they bounce all over and get loose on you, because they're not high enough gauge. And as said above, it would be clean if you made it clean, meaning it's all in your picking. I thought those things were common sense, but okay.
Quote by caraluzzo
Uh, you do know that if you detune, you'll need thicker gauge strings, right? Maybe that's why they bounce all over and get loose on you, because they're not high enough gauge. And as said above, it would be clean if you made it clean, meaning it's all in your picking. I thought those things were common sense, but okay.

Yeah, this guy speaks the truth, plus, I have used Elixirs for a year or so, and I have never had coating fall off.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM