yeah i got a drumset recently, but have the slightest idea what to do when im tuning it?
also, theres this annoying ringing overtone when i hit any of the drums.
help please?
Find the drummers thread. You'll get help there, but here, you'll just get "lolol gutar is easey 2 toon"
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by athlete1
lolol gutar is easey 2 toon

i was going to say that...

i hate u

edit: and did I mention "I cum blood"?
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
Damper pads will help the ringing they're pretty cheap and stick right on the drum head.
The main thing to remember is this.

The snare should sound nice and tight.

And if you have 2 floor toms, THE SECOND FLOOR TOM IS TUNED LOWER THEN THE BASS DRUM
Set it on the ground so that the bottom head is muffled, then go around and hand tighten all the lugs, then tighten one lug by X amount of turns, then go across and do the same, always go across, then get a stick and tap on the head near the lug and listen to the pitch it should be identical all the way around the head. It takes a really long time to do it right, if you want to get serious about drums I would recommend a tuner. If you have more questions PM me.
Ringing overtone? Try using gel dampeners.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
from the little info i have collected about drums, you need to hit the drum near the lug nut on one side, then hit the one opposite, if it sounds different, tune it until they sound the same. then go around all of them and repeat, then u can change the sound to one you like. its a long process but worth it and u wont have to do it often.
There's no really correct way to tune them. It all depends on your taste. But the toms go from high to low from left to right if you have a normal setup. So

High tom (smallest tom): Highest sounding tom

Low tom (the middle size tom): Lower

Floor Tom (The one on the floor): Lowest tom

But that's pretty much for a 5 peice
Just for a reference, never tighten a drum in a circle(it will warp the head.) Always start at one nut, go across, move to the right, go across...ext.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
put the batter head on first tighten the rods in a star form until you head a tone from the drum. then go a little tighter. put on bottom head make it a little tighter than the top head. and it should sound ok
Quote by RyanGillam
You got to admire people that share their problems over the internet.

Quote by Våd Hamster
....You need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpg >_>
Quote by slash591
*reported* again legion.

don't be lame, just ignore it
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by TNA
Set it on the ground so that the bottom head is muffled, then go around and hand tighten all the lugs, then tighten one lug by X amount of turns, then go across and do the same, always go across, then get a stick and tap on the head near the lug and listen to the pitch it should be identical all the way around the head. It takes a really long time to do it right, if you want to get serious about drums I would recommend a tuner. If you have more questions PM me.

ok thanks
and also, where can i obtain a drum tuner for a reasonable price?
What you want to do is go out and buy a real nice drum tuning. Odds are you're going to want to tune your Hi-Tom, Mid-Tom, and Low Tom. If you have other toms, you should tune those as well. You're not wanting to tune to a certain note, per se, but your going for a better over all sound.

Take the tuner, start at a lug of your choice, and tighten it one full turns. Do they exact same on every other lug, and then go back and tap each part of the head near the rim and close to the lugs. Tune up every lug to the one you started with. Play the drum a couple of times, and if you like the sound, keep it. If you don't like it, ask your self two questions. Is it too high? or is it too low? Adjust accordingly. Repeat for all your toms if you wish.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

The toms should be tuned until there are no ripples in the head. This allows for more precise tuning, and more coordination with all the toms. As has been said, twist the lugs in a star pattern, to prevent extra tension. Tap the part of the head closest to the lug to check tuning, and attempt to tune them all the same.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by Aussieloco
Damper pads will help the ringing they're pretty cheap and stick right on the drum head.

Yes, but they cost money.

What you need is Gaffa tape, and some tissue.

Fold the tissue untill it is about 3 cm by 3cm (1 and a half inches).

Push the tissue right up next to the rim of the drum, then put tape across the rim of the drum and the tissue. So it's stuck to the drum head (skin on the side that you hit).

Then just tape down the other side of it.

It should help, but it won't completely fix it.
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/westaussie/

Quote by StratPat

Quote by blacksabbath8
So I had to take a massive dump, and I went in the bassment. So it's been down there for a while and the stench is terrible and i think it's seeping into the floor.