Hey all, I've been trying to learn some basic music theory with the end goal of being able to play face melting solos. So far I've learnt a bit about the circle of fifths, key signatures, how to make scales, how to make some basic chords (Major, Minor, 7's).

However, besides a bit of background knowledge, I can't really directly apply that to my playing. Or even practice it really, besides trying to memorize the notes in each key and all that.

I was told my next goal should be to understand Chord Progressions? Is that a good idea.

Basically, I need a bit of guidance on what I should learn if I want to get the tools for building some hardcore solos.
learn chord progressions. from there you can go to arpeggios. they will also help you with single note progressions and knowing what key to solo in over a track, making tracks;ect.
Quote by morag
I was told my next goal should be to understand Chord Progressions? Is that a good idea.
Definitely. Following the chord progression is a great idea when soloing, so the solo depends on the chord progression a fair bit.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Okay. One more question.

I'm wondering about applying what I've learnt regarding key signatures. I now know how to determine which key I'm in based on the sharps or flats shown, and I can tell you which sharps and flats are in each key (well the basic 12 anyway, I know nothing about enharmonics). However, I was wondering how you keep track of it all while playing? Like do you just get used to skipping the F and hitting the F# when you're playing in the key of G?
You simply play the notes that are in the scale, so in G, you play an F# not an F.
Alright, I guess what I meant to ask is whether or not that is all just memorization? Like obviously you can't pull out a Circle of 5th and look around it in the middle of a solo. So do you guys just have what notes make up every key memorized?

I don't want to memorize anything that I don't have to. :P I'm more of an understand the concepts kind of guy, memorization is not my strong point.
Quote by Morag2
Alright, I guess what I meant to ask is whether or not that is all just memorization? Like obviously you can't pull out a Circle of 5th and look around it in the middle of a solo. So do you guys just have what notes make up every key memorized?

I don't want to memorize anything that I don't have to. :P I'm more of an understand the concepts kind of guy, memorization is not my strong point.

To make the task seem a little easier don't think it about it like this:

C major

C D E F G A B C

But This way instead:

C Major

No Sharps Or Flats

This way you only know which flats and sharps are subtracted/added for each scale. That way you could just learn the C major scale and apply the flats and sharps that are needed.

Example:

Oh crap, I only learned how to play C Major scale shape, what does the G Major scale shape look like.

Instead of looking it up just memorize what sharp's/flat's are in that key, so then you go "oh I remember its just 1 sharp in the G major scale."

If you ever have trouble remembering what sharp is added in the major scale your playing its just the note before the name of the scale your playing that is added as a sharp.

Example: G major scale, 1 note before that is F, so an F sharp is added.

Hope i've helped somewhat, if you don't understand the way I explained it say so and ill try to revise it.