i was curious how copyrighting worked out on the internet. Let's take youtube for example. Many people post their original songs on the site and attach something like Copyright- 2008 blahblahblah at the end of the vid, on the description etc. But does that really protect their stuff? how do you "officially" copyright a song?
I dunno if this applies everywhere, but in New Zealand once you record music in any way it is copyrighted.
Quote by blood8815
putting copyright 2008 on something doesn't mean ****

Wrong.

If you have any form of definative proof as to when it was made, atleast in New Zealand and Australia, then no one will be able to copy it.

If it was uploaded onto Youtube say 12/03/08. Then I'm pretty sure that would hold up in any courtcase or whatever.
I believe in North America (i.e. Canada and the United States) you have to file for copyrights with the government; you send in lyrics/ recording, whatever, they keep it on record for proof so no one can steal it. This file will last for as long as you live plus 50 (or 70 in the US) years (they might revise this every so often, but I doubt it) after you die.

If you're planning on filing for copyright, keep a second copy of everything you send on file, and use all of the basic copyrighting tips described in the FAQ to make sure no one steals your music! Hope this helped.
say I have a website with instructional videos, how would I prevent people from ripping the videos off and posting them elsewhere? Second question, if I make money doing instructional videos for other people's song are companies able to sue me? This is in Canada by the way.
Quote by farcry
say I have a website with instructional videos, how would I prevent people from ripping the videos off and posting them elsewhere? Second question, if I make money doing instructional videos for other people's song are companies able to sue me? This is in Canada by the way.

Should probably PM Dirk Gently about that one.
Quote by st.stephen
Should probably PM Dirk Gently about that one.

does he have a similar such website? and thanks by the way.
Quote by farcry
does he have a similar such website? and thanks by the way.

No, but he's a lawyer, which is a lot more than you'll get from most (including me). And no problem.