I'm looking for a small tone monster of an amp that I can sit and comfortably play at low volumes, just something I can play by myself and just really enjoy the sound.

I have a sg with a 57classic/angus young humbuckers, and a esp (hammit 200) with passive emg humbuckers . I like to play classic rock & some metal, ac/dc, hendrix, clapton, metallica, VH, GNR, and lots of other stuff, I like variety.

Low volume playing is a must, I have a big marshall for playing loud, (I'm not crazy about the amp either) I actually play over headphones via my peddalboard alot, but would really like a smooth creamy bluesy sounding amp that can still get the lead out when I need it!

I am actually interested in the new peavey vypyrs coming out, in particular the 15watt 8 inch version, but if the 12 inch version would still sound as good at low volumes I would go for that just to get access to the pedal board that you can purchase for it. But if it's not going to give me low volume tone, I'll look elsewhere.

I live in a smaller city in ND, there isn't access to try out a bunch of amps, so I'm going strictly on your guys's expert advice. I want the BEST SOUNDING amp that I can get that I don't have to crank to enjoy. I'm not against adding a distortion pedal or something to improve it either, or some other pedal, if you have a amp/pedal recommendation let's hear it! Let's Just keep it under.... oh let's say 350.00 Which should be easy due to me not needing the size/power.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.
Quote by rushisrighton
I'm looking for a small tone monster of an amp that I can sit and comfortably play at low volumes, just something I can play by myself and just really enjoy the sound.

I have a sg with a 57classic/angus young humbuckers, and a esp (hammit 200) with passive emg humbuckers . I like to play classic rock & some metal, ac/dc, hendrix, clapton, metallica, VH, GNR, and lots of other stuff, I like variety.

Low volume playing is a must, I have a big marshall for playing loud, (I'm not crazy about the amp either) I actually play over headphones via my peddalboard alot, but would really like a smooth creamy bluesy sounding amp that can still get the lead out when I need it!

I am actually interested in the new peavey vypyrs coming out, in particular the 15watt 8 inch version, but if the 12 inch version would still sound as good at low volumes I would go for that just to get access to the pedal board that you can purchase for it. But if it's not going to give me low volume tone, I'll look elsewhere.

I live in a smaller city in ND, there isn't access to try out a bunch of amps, so I'm going strictly on your guys's expert advice. I want the BEST SOUNDING amp that I can get that I don't have to crank to enjoy. I'm not against adding a distortion pedal or something to improve it either, or some other pedal, if you have a amp/pedal recommendation let's hear it! Let's Just keep it under.... oh let's say 350.00 Which should be easy due to me not needing the size/power.

Those peavy vypers look pretty good. Thats all i can say really...

Doers it HAVE to be a tube amp? If you go Solid State you dont have to crank it to get good sounds although some people think SS is crap no matter what... Those people are narrow minded
In my experince it's usually good to aim for the really low watt amps... and also go for the cheap, smallamp brands, In our rehersal studio we have a small 8 inch 10watts laney amp, (not sure what the particular name of it is) and it wotks great for showing new songs to each other in low volumes.

Avoid the "big name amps" for instance at my school they have a couple of small 12 inch Marshall combos at they really suck very hard.

Personally I use a small 12 inch Ibanez tonebreaker at home when rehersing and I boost it with a Boss mt-2 pedal and a Boss BD pedal. That works for me at low volumes in my appartment.

Thats pretty much all I can help, Good luck mate!
Cube 30 or a multi FX to headphones - Digitech RP250 maybe?
Well a POD X3 would work good...

Otherwise the Fender Vibro Champ XD and Super Champ XD are VERY good. Modeling amps with a tube poweramp. Has great tone too! Not loads of gain, but can get into earlier metal tones though.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'm not sure how much it is in the US, but there is a newer version of the microcube that has 4 tiny speakers and a few other cool features like a basic drum machine. That is only 5 watts and has all the features of the Cube 30X and more.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by 667
Cube 30 or a multi FX to headphones - Digitech RP250 maybe?

I allready have a digitech rp350 that I use in conjunction with a pair of sennheiser tr 140 wireless headphones, the usb in the digitech works awesome for playing along with songs off of the hardrive on my computer, I use the amazing slow downer program for it, works like a charm.

However what I need is a small practice amp for when I'm not using the headphones, My rp350 is all I really need for a multifx peddal, however I'm sure some standalone peddals would sound really good, I have nothing like that yet.

I have no prefereance as to solid state or tube, it's all about the tone without the volume, if it happens to be one or the other, makes no difference to me.
Quote by grobbo91
I'm not sure how much it is in the US, but there is a newer version of the microcube that has 4 tiny speakers and a few other cool features like a basic drum machine. That is only 5 watts and has all the features of the Cube 30X and more.

I checked out the amp you mentioned, yeah that sounds about like what I want, thanks! I'll definently put that on my list, so far it's microcube rx and peavey vypyr.
Quote by Gabel
Well a POD X3 would work good...

Otherwise the Fender Vibro Champ XD and Super Champ XD are VERY good. Modeling amps with a tube poweramp. Has great tone too! Not loads of gain, but can get into earlier metal tones though.

Those look good, but would they be too loud? I know they can get loud, but will they sound good down low? I'm not going to play whisper quiet, but I want a relaxing volume like you would listen to the radio while sitting around and to pick guitar to while kicked back .
Well the Super Champ XD (the one I've tried) sounds pretty good at low volumes. I loved the tone I got out of it and I played it in a shop so...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well I think I'm going to go with a peavey vypyr, It just looks like it will do what I need, and for the money looks like a bargain, I can't find anything else like it. Thanks for the help though guys.
Don't get set on an amp that's not even out yet. It could completely and utterly suck for all anyone knows.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^ good advice, I wasn't planning on picking up a phone and ordering just yet, I called my local music store and low and behold, they have the vypyr 75! I didn't think they would have anything like this, especially this soon....I'm amazed. so I'm going to go and check it out soon.

If I like it I will look into getting the 30, it's more power than I need and more speaker than what I need, but if the 75 works, I think it would be a good indication of the 30 and then I could add the peddalboard on later, with the 15 you don't have that option.

I'm not budging on what I want, sweet tone at low volume, if it takes a different amp, or even the vypyr 15 to do it, then I'll keep searching.
Last edited by rushisrighton at Aug 18, 2008,
Oh are they finally out?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I was shocked that they had one, I called peavey and they said they had shipped some orders, but a call to musicians friend said that they were expecting them soon.

Who would have thought my small town would have one in this soon.
Quote by rushisrighton
I was shocked that they had one, I called peavey and they said they had shipped some orders, but a call to musicians friend said that they were expecting them soon.

Who would have thought my small town would have one in this soon.

awesome. post a small review of it on this thread after you try it. i'm really interested in what it sounds like. i'm going to go check-out the fender champ 600 at GC tomorrow
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
blackheart killer ant is worth a look as well, made for being cranked in apartments and stuff as long as you're looking at stuff that isnt out yet
No, the Killer Ant is out, just no one has tried one yet.
My local store should be getting them at the end of august, but some online places already have them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Went to my local music store today, made it within 15minutes to close, I had to run from work and didn't have time to clean up, so I couldn't play a guitar through it (I work in a bodyshop and my hands were filthy no time to clean up) and the guy selling it didn't play. So all i got to do was look at it, . He insisted it sounded great, but man, 75 watts, I hope that power reduction circuit works for low volumes. I would love to check out that killer ant also.
75 watts and low volume don't go together.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by rushisrighton
I have a big marshall for playing loud, (I'm not crazy about the amp either)

Which big Marshall?
Quote by rushisrighton

I know they all knock the spiders but look at this its a jam http://billdetucci.com/My_Rippin__Video_Clips.html
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Which big Marshall?

Don't make fun, but I have a marshall mg250dfx, at the time I thought, hey it's a marshall, I'm glad I got it cheap.........250.00 50 x 2 12" = just way too loud, but it's there if I need it. The clean channel isn't too bad, but the distortion channel is not my taste, I just can't get anything warm and fuzzy out of this amp, at least not at low volumes that's for sure.
Since I've been looking hard into things now, I've got alot of ideas in my head.

The latest is low watt tube heads? Possaly modded to limit the amp, which I am capable of doing the mods myself, just haven't done something like that before, but not out of my capabilites.

Perhaps a little giant with the mod done could work, probably still just too loud, I wonder what that would sound like, I could use my marshall with the 2 12's in it to give it a try and if it does work buy the actual cab that's matched with the head. It does switch between 5 and 3 watts. I guess I'm going to have to do a site search to see the skinny on the little giant.

Half the fun is just trying to find something to work!
Check out the soundworks amps, the blackheart killer ant, zvex nano tube, and the OLC tube cricket.

If you want cranked tube amp tone at low levels, a 3/5 watt little giant isn't going to get it done. 3 watts might not sound like much, but you'd need 30 watts for twice the level. Cranked tube tone at low volumes = fractional watt.
It is starting to become abundantly clear that a low watt tube amp is exactly what I am after, the utube demos of the killer ant are exactly what I am thinking of, looks like I have to wait a while. Thanks, viberaider, I believe you are correct.

But also I think I might be right on the money with the peavey vypyr in other ways, it also sounds very promising, granted it may not be the "exact" sound I want, but it looks like it would be good and versitile, I'm looking at the viper 75 because of the power sponge. I think a guy might be able to do alot with it.

I'm makeing a judgement call, I think I need both a viper 75 and a killer ant, grab a couple of boss overdrive and distortion pedals, and a dunlop wah, that sounds like many years of fun down in the basement . It's one thing to play hendrix's redhouse over my headphones which sounds great, and then to plug into my marshall mg250 and have it sound like ass, I need it to sound just or almost as good both ways.

I have 4 young boys, that's why I play mostly through headphones, but my oldest is now 11, soon I hope they will appreciate some good guitar and NOT rap! I tell them all the time, it is ok if you like rap, go ahead and listen to it, but please realize that it is not really music, poetry maybe, but not music, now boys, listen to some jackyl, and come back and tell me that's not pretty cool, seriously, (in my best if you don't want your ass kicked kind of voice) just tell me it's NOT cool .
Last edited by rushisrighton at Aug 22, 2008,
I may keep my marshall just in case, but I'm not really happy with it, if someone happend to come along and buy it, I'd probably sell it.

I went to my local crate dealer and told him I'd like the killer ant if he can get it. He's going to call his rep to see how long it will be.

Now I'm just trying to justify spending extra money on the viper 75, while the foot peddal would be nice, I'm afraid it may be just more amp than I would like, after all I have no intentions of ever takeing it out of my basement and playing anywhere. I wish the smaller one had at least a 10 in it.