The situation is I'm starting a band, and we have a talent show for our school, and can't decide on a song.

I'm the lead guitarist (yea I'm a noob, but not completely), and my friend is the rhythm, except he rarleys plays, so it's kind of going bad here.

I need a song that's from beginner-intermediate skill level for lead, and beginner for rhythm. My friend recommended "They Say" by Scars on Broadway, but with an outro solo. But I'd rather have a more well-known song, with a solo. Any recommendations?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Dude, They Say is an awesome song!!

Anyway, Smells like teen spirit is a good idea, I mean who doesn't know that?

Gear

Tokai FA70 (My Korean ES-175)

Amplitube

Artisan 30 fund: £50/£1200
NO Teen Spirit!

It'll seem cool for a while, but then you'll regret it.

Do you have vocals, drums, and bass?
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
everyone says that smells like teen spirit is gay, but noone ever plays it. my band put it in our repertoire a couple times and the crowd yells for us to play it at every show. so go for it. but can you play back in black? that's pretty easy. you can play some offspring. that's always fun and easy. and pop-punk always goes over well.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
NO Teen Spirit!

It'll seem cool for a while, but then you'll regret it.

Do you have vocals, drums, and bass?

Yup. Have all 3.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Fermented Offal Discharge - Necrophagist... That would impress some people.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by Snake™
Yup. Have all 3.

Nice. That really gives you better options.

Give some Muse a shot. "Plug In Baby" isn't hard at all. It will surely be impressive.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
My oppion on teen spirit is don't do unless you can do it perfect and your singer sounds EXACTLY like Kurt

That being said evenflow by pearljam would be good joice as it has some sick guitar work and is very well known because of guitar hero, alive (also by pear jam if your wondering) would also be cool if you can pull off the solo
Last edited by frostfire100 at Aug 20, 2008,
Maybe a Beatles song? Everybody knows them.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Any Between the Buried and Me is very easy.

If you don't win with that......... Well I'm just not going to think about that...
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Try some classic Rolling Stones.

Or you can try "Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle" by Dethklok. :P
Ibanez JEM
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider 3
Boss MD-2
Dunlop Original Wah
KORG OASYS
KORG PA-60
Quote by shadesofanger
Any Between the Buried and Me is very easy.

If you don't win with that......... Well I'm just not going to think about that...

What are you talking about? The stuff that seems easy turns out to be hard, and the stuff that seems hard is... well... deadly.

Just play a song that's easy for everyone to listen to and feel. Most people like RHCP in my experience. Or if you're doing it to be all dirty and get chicks play Whole Lotta Rosie or Everybody Wants Some (VH) or something.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
What are you talking about? The stuff that seems easy turns out to be hard, and the stuff that seems hard is... well... deadly.

Just play a song that's easy for everyone to listen to and feel. Most people like RHCP in my experience. Or if you're doing it to be all dirty and get chicks play Whole Lotta Rosie or Everybody Wants Some (VH) or something.

You ruined it, I wanted to him to attempt to play it.

Well TS, if you are at all decent at sweep picking try out Alaska. Even if you aren't great just keep doing it over and over.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Who is judging?

Audience response? Pick a crowd pleaser.

Teachers - pick a more 'classic' song and do it well.

Other metal-heads in other bands - yeah, right.

Also, if it is not crowd response, what are the criteria the judges will be using? Find that out, and pick your song to address those key areas.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
knights of cydonia muse, anything by green day, most blink 182, maybe ac/dc if you can pull it off, and jeremy pearl jam
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day. A week later it was greenday.
If she does anythign like that again I'm going to snap her drumsticks, kick her bass drum in and frisbee her cymbals.
Try an old soul song and rev it up a bit, something like 'Gimme Some Lovin'' is easy to play and all the keyboard parts sound good done on guitar.
Again - Alice in Chains
Zero - Smashing Pumpkins
Slither - Velvet Revolver
Bound for the Floor - Local H

All great easy songs
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
Again - Alice in Chains
Zero - Smashing Pumpkins
Slither - Velvet Revolver
Bound for the Floor - Local H

All great easy songs

all great, but specifically for slither, it's not any use playing it if you can't do it more than perfectly. (sorry, my band's "signature" song, and there have been some band's that have not been spot on and have butchered it into oblivian)
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Try an old soul song and rev it up a bit, something like 'Gimme Some Lovin'' is easy to play and all the keyboard parts sound good done on guitar.

That is an awesome song. I can't remember the last time I heard a band play that. Anyone who did it well would get my vote.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Dude if you play AC/DC or Van Halen where I'm from, the only chicks you'll get are... well
NONEXISTANT! Girls prefer this annoying *cringes* singer songwriter BS where I'm at

Paranoid by Black Sabbbath. Easy, Fun, it rocks or Breaking the Law by Judas Priest. YEAH!
Red hot chili peppers - Californication. That is if the rythm guitarist can handle string skipping.....
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"