well im graduating this year and i think im gonna get a JCM900 for a graduation present from my parents, but what should i know before getting a tube amp? all i know is that tubes can be a bitch to replace...haha thats about it.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
the basic thing to know is if you have seen a tube amp they have two switches, standby and power. you always flick the switch on the far left first, leave to stand for 2 minutes or more then flick the second switch and you have power. if you flick both on at the same time you "shock" the cold vales and damage them. thats why they have a ventilation grill on top to vent the tremendous heat.
let them warm up a bit, dont keep turning the amp on and off constantly, be careful with it!!!!!!!!!!!

and and don't have ur guitar up on full just have ur amp a bit higher XD

p.s feedback is a bitch and so it the price !!!!!
i chose the 800 2203KK, bult in noise gate to cut off feedback and tube hiss
so i turn the power switch on for like 2 minutes, then i flip the stand by switch on?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Quote by guy66657
so i turn the power switch on for like 2 minutes, then i flip the stand by switch on?

Other way around

Put it on standby for about 2 minutes then switch it on
yep, and to switch off you you do the reverse, standby first then power.
The main thing you should know is that "tube" amps aren't what some UGers have made you believe they are. It's just an amplifier, It's not going to break down every five minutes and it's not God. It's an amplifier. It won't sound 3,000 times better than your current amplifier (as you may have been led to believe). Why is something that was invented like 100 years ago suddenly all the rage on UG? Who knows.

These go to eleven...
Quote by guy66657

this.
Quote by Engel22
yep, and to switch off you you do the reverse, standby first then power.

Umm... that's not the reverse
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Alright, some basic things to know:
1. Tubes themselves: There are many different tubes out there. You have preamp and poweramp tubes. Generally, power amp tubes need to be changed every 2 years (plus minus, depending on how hard you push the amp). Also, when chaning powertubes, you will need to bias the amp. This isn't too hard, but don't worry about it until it's time. Also tubes need to be HOT to work. Hence the amp needs to warm up the tubes before you can use them, which leads us to...
2. On/Off and Standby: As said, tube amps have two switches. To turn on the amp, first set the amp to on. Then wait about a minute to let the tubes heat up. Then turn off standby. This makes the tubes last longer. When you turn off the amp, first put it on standby. Wait about 5 seconds and turn it off.
3. Dynamics: Tube amps are VERY dynamic. If you paly soft, they clean up, if you play hard, they distort. Learn to control your pick attack to adjust the gain. Also rolling off the volume of the guitar will result in a cleaner tone.
4. Controls: Basically a tube amp can distort both at the preamp (gain) and poweramp (volume). These two types of distortion sound different. Find a spot in which the amount between these two matches.

Those are some basics you need to know.

Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
The main thing you should know is that "tube" amps aren't what some UGers have made you believe they are. It's just an amplifier, It's not going to break down every five minutes and it's not God. It's an amplifier. It won't sound 3,000 times better than your current amplifier (as you may have been led to believe). Why is something that was invented like 100 years ago suddenly all the rage on UG? Who knows.

Actually it might sound 3000 times better than his current amp. But his current amp is an MG, so it's not hard...

But yeah, the reason I prefer tube is because they give me a classic rock tone. They give me the tone I want.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar

win post is full of win
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Gabel
Alright, some basic things to know:
1. Tubes themselves: There are many different tubes out there. You have preamp and poweramp tubes. Generally, power amp tubes need to be changed every 2 years (plus minus, depending on how hard you push the amp). Also, when chaning powertubes, you will need to bias the amp. This isn't too hard, but don't worry about it until it's time. Also tubes need to be HOT to work. Hence the amp needs to warm up the tubes before you can use them, which leads us to...
2. On/Off and Standby: As said, tube amps have two switches. To turn on the amp, first set the amp to on. Then wait about a minute to let the tubes heat up. Then turn off standby. This makes the tubes last longer. When you turn off the amp, first put it on standby. Wait about 5 seconds and turn it off.
3. Dynamics: Tube amps are VERY dynamic. If you paly soft, they clean up, if you play hard, they distort. Learn to control your pick attack to adjust the gain. Also rolling off the volume of the guitar will result in a cleaner tone.
4. Controls: Basically a tube amp can distort both at the preamp (gain) and poweramp (volume). These two types of distortion sound different. Find a spot in which the amount between these two matches.

Those are some basics you need to know.

Actually it might sound 3000 times better than his current amp. But his current amp is an MG, so it's not hard...

But yeah, the reason I prefer tube is because they give me a classic rock tone. They give me the tone I want.

Just to clear it up though - Standby on for 2 min, Power on, Standby off, and play. To turn off put Standby on, Power off, leave like that for 2 min, Standby off.

Right? sorry... haven't use tube amps in 2 years. Oh, and i recommend doing all that with 0 volume.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 17, 2008,
Lots of good info, some wrong info. So here's a recap.

Flip the "power" switch on. The amp is now on standby. The power switch is the one which says power, it could be the left one or the right one. Wait for 30-60 seconds. Then flip the "standby" switch to "off", now both switches should be pointing at the same direction and sound should come from the amp. When turning off, I switch the standby switch, wait until the LED fades out completely (the standby led) and then flip power. Otherwise I get an annoying "pop" from the speakers.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Happy-Tom

and and don't have ur guitar up on full just have ur amp a bit higher XD

Dont you find that sucks a bit of tone though?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by evening_crow

Just to clear it up though - Standby on for 2 min, Power on, Standby off, and play. To turn off put Standby on, Power off, leave like that for 2 min, Standby off.

Right? sorry... haven't use tube amps in 2 years. Oh, and i recommend doing all that with 0 volume.

Standyby on, wait two mins, power on, then you play, you don't switch standby off. If you want to stop playing for a bit you turn power off, leaving standby on. When you turn off leaving it on standby will do nothing, it doesn't help the tubes cool down faster or anything, just turn power off then turn standby off.
wow i am so confused haha, well does it say how to turn the amp on and off in the manual?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Yeah, it'll explain all this in manual, probably more clearly!

If you get an amp and it doesn't come with a manual you can (nearly) always download them from the company that makes them, so don't worry about this too much. + its fairly simple to understand anyway when you see the amp.

EDIT: Don't worry after all these people saying different things. Its only an amp, it really isn't as difficult as they make it sound.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by minibrowny
Standyby on, wait two mins, power on, then you play, you don't switch standby off. If you want to stop playing for a bit you turn power off, leaving standby on. When you turn off leaving it on standby will do nothing, it doesn't help the tubes cool down faster or anything, just turn power off then turn standby off.

Either your amp has things labeled way differently than mine, or that's just wrong. If I flip the standby switch alone, nothing happens - there's no light and the tubes defninitely aren't warming up.

Oh, and when switching the amp off, waiting drains some caps I think (not sure on that), and thus you don't hear that "pop" which according to some might damage the speaker (not much, no, but will shorten the lifespan or something).
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
Either your amp has things labeled way differently than mine, or that's just wrong. If I flip the standby switch alone, nothing happens - there's no light and the tubes defninitely aren't warming up.

Oh, and when switching the amp off, waiting drains some caps I think (not sure on that), and thus you don't hear that "pop" which according to some might damage the speaker (not much, no, but will shorten the lifespan or something).

I think he meant to turn the power on first and then standby. But to the TS, just go by the usual rules of thumb. Use your standby correctly, never use the amp without a load, always make sure your amp is matching for the load impedance, and yeah.

However, if your amp is tube rectified (the JCM900 is not, but just for reference), a standby is kind of unnecessary, and is possibly bad for your rectifier tube. I personally never use the standby on my JTM45.

And as for turning the amp off, there is no reason to standby before you cut the power. I actually leave my standby in the "play" mode, as it drains the charge from the caps out through the tubes.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by al112987

However, if your amp is tube rectified (the JCM900 is not, but just for reference), a standby is kind of unnecessary, and is possibly bad for your rectifier tube. I personally never use the standby on my JTM45.

Wait, what?
Quote by al112987

And as for turning the amp off, there is no reason to standby before you cut the power. I actually leave my standby in the "play" mode, as it drains the charge from the caps out through the tubes.

I've stated a reason multiple times - if I flat out flip both switches there's a pop, and if I wait a little (it's like 5 seconds) there's not. Someone said in some thread somewhere which I can't be arsed to search for, that the pop might be bad (as in repeatedly flicking the light switch bad, not putting a car to reverse while doing 100km/h bad) for the speaker as it's not something the speaker is supposed to put out.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Is it bad to have your guitar volume knob at full, like someone earlier said? I've never heard this, and unless I'm rolling back the volume to get a clean sound, my guitar's volume is always at full.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Quote by LastCaress88
Is it bad to have your guitar volume knob at full, like someone earlier said? I've never heard this, and unless I'm rolling back the volume to get a clean sound, my guitar's volume is always at full.
I doubt it..
These go to eleven...
Quote by LastCaress88

There's nothign wrong at all with having your volume fll up. I have no idea what that guy was talking about!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Fama
Wait, what?

I've stated a reason multiple times - if I flat out flip both switches there's a pop, and if I wait a little (it's like 5 seconds) there's not. Someone said in some thread somewhere which I can't be arsed to search for, that the pop might be bad (as in repeatedly flicking the light switch bad, not putting a car to reverse while doing 100km/h bad) for the speaker as it's not something the speaker is supposed to put out.

The point of the standby is to turn on the heaters before assaulting the plates with high voltage. If you have a tube rectified amp, the high DC voltage won't hit the preamp or power amp tubes until the rectifier itself is sufficiently heated in which by then, the preamp and power amp tubes should also already be sufficiently heated. Thus really eliminating the need of a standby.

As for the pop, I never get it with my amp, I simply cut the power with the standby still in play mode, and play the guitar out until the signal dies off.
Quote by al112987
The point of the standby is to turn on the heaters before assaulting the plates with high voltage. If you have a tube rectified amp, the high DC voltage won't hit the preamp or power amp tubes until the rectifier itself is sufficiently heated in which by then, the preamp and power amp tubes should also already be sufficiently heated. Thus really eliminating the need of a standby.

Well, that does make sense, at least mostly Wouldn't standby also protect the rectifier tube? Although I think it won't be harmed. I was wondering why it would be harmful to the rectifier tube if you used standby.
Quote by al112987

As for the pop, I never get it with my amp, I simply cut the power with the standby still in play mode, and play the guitar out until the signal dies off.

Well, different amp designs. But you do get it with some amps, I believe.
Quote by Lunchbox362
tubes are hot and hurt when you touch them. but they look really cool when you drive them hard and they're all glowy and junk.

sweet.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Fama
Well, that does make sense, at least mostly Wouldn't standby also protect the rectifier tube? Although I think it won't be harmed. I was wondering why it would be harmful to the rectifier tube if you used standby.

Well, different amp designs. But you do get it with some amps, I believe.

Well, turning on the standby suddenly jacks the rectifier with voltage too, and supposedly a tube rectifier is rather sensitive. Remember, the rectifier is just part of the power supply, it converts AC to DC.

There is a lot of debate about this, a lot of people always use the standby and have never had tube rectifier failures. Its very necessary to use the standby in a solid state rectified amp, but for a tube rectified amp, I just don't see the purpose.
Some people are saying it backwards. Listen to Gabel, Al and Fama. This is one of those circumstances where a pic is worth a thousand words and much less confusing. Hang on...

Step one, amp plugged in, notice standby switch and power switch positions.

Step two, turn amp power switch to ON position.

Wait a minute before step three, let the tubes warm up before switching the standby switch to ON position. Now your rocking.

So after hours of entertaining, practicing and overall achieving rock god status you need a break. Flip the standby switch to STANDBY.

I usually wait about 15 seconds before finally turning the amp off. No pop that way. If it's real warm I wait 30 sec at most. And do this.

Or just buy a Classic 30, no standby switch. Confusion eliminated! Ha.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 18, 2008,
1) read the stickys
2) ???
3) Profit!!!
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
wow man, thanks for the visuals, that really helped me out. youre awesome haha
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Last edited by guy66657 at Sep 19, 2008,
Well since you guys revived an old topic about turning on tube amps, I have a question. With regards to my classic 30, whenever I turn it off, it pops. What I do is wait about a minute then just flip the switch off. Am I doing it wrong? I don't really see how to do it any other way. And I can't get it to not pop when I turn it off.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Tip #1: Read your manual that comes with it. Everything about the controls, how to turn the amp on and off correctly, using the FX loop, the speakers, etc is in there.
omg lol every second post is about how to turn the amp on and off

so is it, i turn the amp power switch first on, everything on 10 all knobs etc, distortion maxed
then to turn off
just switch off straight away?

kk
Quote by alucarDuo
Well since you guys revived an old topic about turning on tube amps, I have a question. With regards to my classic 30, whenever I turn it off, it pops. What I do is wait about a minute then just flip the switch off. Am I doing it wrong? I don't really see how to do it any other way. And I can't get it to not pop when I turn it off.

Well the reason it pops is because the caps discharge directly. A good way of getting rid of the pop is to turn down the amp to 0. That's an easy way to do it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by madnaz
gregs1020, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
+1.

*Remember*

The power switch should be flicked first, and last.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Gabel
Well the reason it pops is because the caps discharge directly. A good way of getting rid of the pop is to turn down the amp to 0. That's an easy way to do it.

Exactly. Some amps don't have a standby and you just have to turn them down before turning them off.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.