(I think thread fits best here, if not please tell me a better place to post this)

I'm not intending this to be a vs thread, but merely a thread to educate everyone on the differences between passive and active pickups, not to say one is better than the other.

The reason for starting this thread is well....I don't know much about either, so would some of my fellow UG's like to share their knowledge?

Things like:

What are the main differences between Active and Passive pickup?

Why do some players prefer one over the other?

What are the differences in how the pickups are installed/thier maintenance?

What are some sounds you can get with Passive pickups?

What are some sounds you can get with Active Pickups?

How does the body/shape/wood of a guitar affect the sound of Active pickups and Passive pickups?

Do the amps play a bigger role in the way Active pickups sound over Passive pickups (and vise versa)?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
(I think thread fits best here, if not please tell me a better place to post this)

I'm not intending this to be a vs thread, but merely a thread to educate everyone on the differences between passive and active pickups, not to say one is better than the other.

The reason for starting this thread is well....I don't know much about either, so would some of my fellow UG's like to share their knowledge?

Searchbar.

But i'll be nice and go ahead and answer.

What are the main differences between Active and Passive pickup?
Active pickups use a battery in order to power a built-in preamp. This makes the signal stronger which works out for high gain.

Why do some players prefer one over the other?
It's all in personal preference, just like apple or oranges... although like mentioned before they work out very well with high gain.

What are the differences in how the pickups are installed/thier maintenance?
Actives require space for a 9v battery inside the guitar that has to be replaced now and then. Also, the guitar must be unplugged from the cable so that it doesn't drain battery life.

What are some sounds you can get with Passive pickups?
What are some sounds you can get with Active Pickups?
Essentially, they are the same except that actives will have a higher output than passives (hence why they are used for metal). However, passives sound a bit more natural and are more versatile IMO. Another thing is that actives would make less noise (hum) if compared to a passive with the same output.

How does the body/shape/wood of a guitar affect the sound of Active pickups and Passive pickups?
Dense woods (mahogany, maple) tend to have a darker sound and more sustain while lighter woods (agathis, swamp ash, alder) are snappier and more trebly. They are affected the same way, but passives usually portray these changes much better.

Do the amps play a bigger role in the way Active pickups sound over Passive pickups (and vise versa)?
Amps are probably the biggest factor in giving you your sound when it comes down to equipment (except for whether you're using singlecoil or humbucker pickups). However, active pickups always have a slightly different sound no matter what. They're punchier, treblier imo, and are perceived as louder by our ears.

In other words, an active will always sound different from a passive no matter the amp... but that's not necessarily the biggest factor in your tone.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Thanks for your input evening crow and thanks for the vid brownie. I used the search bar and I thought this thread would be way more helpful than some others.

Anyone else?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Thanks for your input evening crow and thanks for the vid brownie. I used the search bar and I thought this thread would be way more helpful than some others.

Anyone else?

Lol... no problem man, i was just trying to be a smartass by saying "searchbar" anyway.

And those vids are very helpful if you see all 3 parts. The guy could've recorded them better though, but it still shows the differnces.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd1OxESH2_A

The lead on that was recorded with an emg 60 with a clean tone, should give a decent example of how the 60 can do cleans. (sorry about the playing though)

the Rhythm was recorded with an acoustic though.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon