I recently desided to get back in to the game after 10 years or so.I used to play bass in a few local bands nothing major but it`s been awhile.The only gear i have left over is a Hartke 410 cab.I'm purchasing an ESP M-200 just for a nice little someting to mess around with. My question is this,I was going to buy alittle pratice/combo amp just to mess around with nothing to fancy 200-300$ dollar range,but then i thought hmm..... I still have this cab why not just buy a head so i found a Line 6 Spider III HD75 75W read the reviews seems like a nice little something.Only problem is that the cab is rated at 8ohm and the head at 4ohms.I really dont have plans to crank it or shows with it as that time for me is long gone,but i do want something powerfull with good lows for metal/grind-core type music.So do i go for it or maybe some suggestions on other things i can do
Quote by lefthandman9876
no dont get the line 6 head its really bad

get a valved head

small amp get a valve junior or a blackheart or somthing like that

A valve junior or a blackheart for grindcore? No? The Blackheart is British voiced, it won't get into metal territory very easily, even with an OD pedal.
Quote by d0se
I used to play bass in a few local bands

Am I the only person that noticed this little tidbit in the original post?

I don't think he's looking for a guitar head. I'm pretty sure he's looking for a bass amp. And generally speaking, guitar amps are not designed to handle bass guitars, correct me if I'm wrong. And either way, he would probably get a much better tone if he were to use a bass amp for his bass guitar.

I take it that you do want a bass amp, right?

EDIT: ...Okay. Maybe I was wrong there. Didn't realize that the ESP M-200 is not a bass guitar. So, now I feel like an ass. And I should probably go to sleep, it's rather late...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Last edited by E V H 5150 at Aug 17, 2008,
Thanks for reading but im looking for a guitar head i just said that u sed to play bass and still have one of my cabs left that i was thinking about using
Quote by d0se
Thanks for reading but im looking for a guitar head i just said that u sed to play bass and still have one of my cabs left that i was thinking about using

No i dont think you can use an amp head rated at 4 ohms with a cab rated at 8...
Bass cab will sound like crap wont it? Different frequencies. If you want an amp for grindcore the standard 5150/6505 is what a lot of hardcore bands use, a line 6 hd147 wouldnt be bad either thats one of the few line 6 amps i rate. Also you could find a used engl fireball or powerball as both are pretty insane but you gonna have to maybe save a little bit more.

Look used theres some good deals out there.
Quote by Final !mpact
No i dont think you can use an amp head rated at 4 ohms with a cab rated at 8...

Solid state heads arent as picky, the circuit isnt the same as tube. He'd get away with it.
you can use a head with a different ohm rating but i cant remember whether higher or lower thn the head is safe

but

im guessing the cab has 4x10s wired series/parallel to give 4 ohms, if the head's impedance can be the same or higher than the cab youre fine

if the impedance of the head can be the same or lower than that of the cab, you could rewire the cab in series to give 16ohms

i cant remember which is which though

and i hope all that made sense
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I know if the ohm load of the speakers/cab is lower than the head it will cause it to over heat. The hartke cabs are designed for 4/8 ohms but only with another cab to run parallel. I also know the amp see's half the load of the speaker but only when they are wired in series or parallel config. i serously dout it would harm the head,as it wouldnt be dropping the load to make it run hotter.The only reason i thought about it doing that was because it's just sitting there.Asfar as sounding good cab are all the same the only differnce is the drivers in them and Hartke makes awsome drivers. I also figure it combined with a good head it would sound better than just about any combo/pratice amp,but then again if i can find a nice combo for 200-300 i'll go for that to. As for the Line 6 stuff i've read just as much bad as i have good so it'`s prolly something i'll just have to try for myself
Last edited by d0se at Aug 17, 2008,