Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a new amp since im not really happy with my current one.

I have a vox ad30 vt and playing an epiphone les paul standard with Seymour duncan alnico II pro pickups.

I was thinking about getting a tiny terror

ORANGE TINY TERROR
http://www.thomann.de/se/orange_tiny_terror.htm

ORANGE PPC112
http://www.thomann.de/se/orange_ppc112.htm

Im not looking for any special sound since im playing so many diffrent styles, but just want a good rock sound
would it be a big diffrence compare to the vox ? Can mention that i got alot of diffrent effect pedals to use aswell.
How much do you have to spend?
Any effects like Delay, reverb etc will sound crap with OD because the amp doesn't have an FX loop.
Last edited by Horlicks at Aug 17, 2008,
the VOX AD isnt full tube and while its probably more versatile, the TT will give a better tone in general and be much much louder
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I just went from the AD15VT to the TT but I actually loved the massive variety of tones I could get from my Vox, I just wanted something that looked more striking sitting in my living room. :P

TT is an awesome sounding amp btw, and it does sound good with external reverb and delay effects in front with a clean or crunch tone but if you dial in loads of gain at the amp using the same fx settings your sound will crap out, best to use a boost pedal if you're using delays in front. TT is less versatile than the Vox too, has a more classic tone compared to the Vox's more modern voicing (esp for its hig gain modes). Volume levels were similar, both amps sound great low but could also be cranked way past my requirements for home.

So yea, I love the TT, its definitely a better sounding amp than the AD, it has tonnes of character and its a joy to play through but take my opinion with a grain of salt coz I really liked the Vox AD as well and you don't.
Last edited by Ausgeno at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by Ausgeno

TT is an awesome sounding amp btw, and it does sound good with external reverb and delay effects in front with a clean or crunch tone but if you dial in loads of gain at the amp using the same fx settings your sound will crap out, best to use a boost pedal if you're using delays in front. TT is less versatile than the Vox too, has a more classic tone compared to the Vox's more modern voicing (esp for its hig gain modes). Volume levels were similar, both amps sound great low but could also be cranked way past my requirements for home.

Hm whats this FX settings ? never heard before
But i guess you mean is doesnt work good with pedals + high gain on the amp ?
well, with that much money you might wanna look into AC15's and AC30's if all youre wanting is a "rock" sound. think of an ac30 as like maybe tom petty,queen tone, with the tiny terror being british sounding ala acdc type tone.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
well, with that much money you might wanna look into AC15's and AC30's if all youre wanting is a "rock" sound. think of an ac30 as like maybe tom petty,queen tone, with the tiny terror being british sounding ala acdc type tone.

The "top3" band im playing is probably Guns n roses, ac dc, rage against the machine
so the TT might be a good choise then ?
Quote by vismbr
The "top3" band im playing is probably Guns n roses, ac dc, rage against the machine
so the TT might be a good choise then ?

You can get way better for the price, don't get the TT.
Quote by Horlicks
You can get way better for the price, don't get the TT.

examples?

that's what i hate about this site....
nobody follows through their arguments with any substance.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by JOn`
examples?

I posted one up a few posts back but he ignored it.
Used, you can easily get an amp with two channels that sounds even better.
Quote by JOn`
examples?

Marshall JCM800 for example.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by Horlicks
I posted one up a few posts back but he ignored it.
Used, you can easily get an amp with two channels that sounds even better.

Didnt ignore it, couldnt find any demos on youtube and no music stores around here seems to have it.
And theres a "3 week used" TT head that i can get for 380 bucks. Well i dont know, i just loved the TT sound from the youtube videos i saw.
for 1200 you could get an AC30 or a crate V50

also look at the peavey classic series, you'd still have cash left for pedals
forgive me when i point out that neither of the examples mentioned are exactly "rivals" to the TT...

JCM800s are 50/100w
and the Kustom that Horlicks mentioned is 72w.

if you're recommending them instead of the TT, you're completely missing its' point.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by JOn`
forgive me when i point out that neither of the examples mentioned are exactly "rivals" to the TT...

JCM800s are 50/100w
and the Kustom that Horlicks mentioned is 72w.

if you're recommending them instead of the TT, you're completely missing its' point.

if TS mentioned anything about what power/volume he wanted then he'd get better replies
I was just asking if a tt would improve my sound alot compared to a vox ad30.
But if you wanna recommand me some amps i dont wan anything above 30w since i just play in my bedroom or together with a bass player.
the answer to this entire thread is 'Yes'
Quote by vismbr
Im not looking for any special sound since im playing so many diffrent styles, but just want a good rock sound

The Tiny Terror is an excellent sounding, one-trick pony. It's a good amp for people who ARE looking for a specific sound - the one the TT makes. It's a single channel amp with few controls, and lacks an FX loop. If you love the sound of the TT, it's a great amp. If you want some versatility, it's really not. IMHO, it makes for a nice, portable addition to an established rig rather than as a primary amp. Unfortunately, it's priced like a primary amp.

Based on the cost of the TT + the PPC112 at Thomann, here's some amps I'd suggest instead:

Vox AC30CC1 - I own one. Can't give a higher rec than than that. May not be Marshally enough for you, but with an OD I think it covers most standard rock very well.

Kustom Coupe 36 - haven't had the pleasure, but this amp gets outstanding reviews.

Laney LC50 and the Engl Thunder - a couple 50W amps, but what's 20W between friends? Not a lot louder than a 30W amp, but more clean headroom.

Peavey Delta Blues and the Laney VC30 - a couple two-channel 30W amps that both do the Vox AC30 sound very well. As shown, you can probably afford the real thing, but might prefer the versatility of these models.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'd say go for the Tiny Terror, if it has the tone you're looking for.

If not, try out the Rocker 30
(I like the TT more though)

and if not that, try out any of the other amps the other UGer's have recommended.
Quote by vismbr
Hm whats this FX settings ? never heard before
But i guess you mean is doesnt work good with pedals + high gain on the amp ?

They sound decent as long as you set them up for that hi-gain mode but yeah, delay/reverb sound better when placed after the distortion in the the chain and if you set your reverb up for a clean sound and then add gain at the amp it can get weird sounding fast. It isn't life altering, just dont expect to quickly jump between vastly different amp settings in a live situation and she'll be right.

Quote by vismbr
I was just asking if a tt would improve my sound alot compared to a vox ad30.
But if you wanna recommand me some amps i dont wan anything above 30w since i just play in my bedroom or together with a bass player.

Imo not really, the AD30 is a sweet sounding amp, the TT is a sweet sounding amp too, they both have ace cleans and distortion but if you couldn't get a tone you liked from the Vox then I'm not sure the TT is going to win you over. However if you do want to try the whole tube thing then can I suggest not to rush out and get the first 50/100 watt amp head someone recommends you - the TT is louder than you'll ever need for home.

Having said all that I don't think I'd like to buy any amp without testing them first myself, can you go to a local shop and demo it?
Quote by slatsmania
The Tiny Terror is an excellent sounding, one-trick pony. It's a good amp for people who ARE looking for a specific sound - the one the TT makes. It's a single channel amp with few controls, and lacks an FX loop. If you love the sound of the TT, it's a great amp. If you want some versatility, it's really not. IMHO, it makes for a nice, portable addition to an established rig rather than as a primary amp. Unfortunately, it's priced like a primary amp.

Based on the cost of the TT + the PPC112 at Thomann...

+1
Well stated.
slatsmania and forsaknazrael, can you guys really only get one sound out of your TT's or am I taking you too literally? Coz it doesn't make any sense to me, I can get bright cleans, wooly cleans, rocky crunch, bluesy crunch, bassy chuggy gain, trebly jangly indy gain or old school fuzz and most stuff in between from my TT.

Or do you mean it only makes one sound referring to the fact you can't quickly switch between all the different sounds that can be gotten from it?

Also it seems the TT costs a lot more in the US than it does here in Aus, it must be the only musical item I think we get a better deal on than you guys do.
I don't own a TT. I wasn't impressed with it. It's not the tone I'm looking for, and I'm not going to get the tone I'm looking for out of it.

Of course you can vary the sounds you can get out of it! The Volume control on your guitar and the variation of picking dynamics can be very powerful tools.

BTW, I disagree, I don't think the TT really does a good job of "chug". You want a heavy amp, buy a heavy amp.
Well I don't really have the luxury of different amps for different sounds, I'm not sure if OP does either but the TT is definitely more versatile than you guys are making it out to be. If you check YouTube you'll find clips of everything from clean to metal, and of course it sounds even better in real life too.
Well the OP only plays in his bedroom so I don't think that he needs gig level cleans, and I do agree that he could get a better metal tone from another amp if that was his main sound but he said he plays rock mostly anyway.

I think the biggest factor would be the high cost of the TT over there vs all the other awesome amps that you guys get far better pricing on than we do.
I can't agree, my TT is for home use only and I can get great tones at low vols.

Vol down and gain up for hi gain, gain down and vol up for clean tones - its only when you really start cranking both the gain and the volume up that you start getting too loud for home.

What are you suggesting as an alternative anyway?
Well, like I said, I would buy a 5-15 watt tube amp so I could push it to tube saturation. 5 being for home use, 15 being for gig use.

For the most part, I would assume that's why people buy .5 - 5 watt tube amps, as well. Otherwise, if you need quiet practice, grab a nice small modeling amp.

I wasn't suggesting anything, just mostly backing up slats. He made some good suggestions.
The TT is switchable 7/15 watts, mine spends most of its time in 7 watts.
Used Orange Rocker 30. It's like a larger TT basically. It's supposed to be better though.

Sounds like you would love that amp. Check it out.

Oh, and lucky you for having 1200 for an amp.....

Edit: Get the combo version, just in case you didn't know already.
I wrote a long reply to this, then my computer failed.

So short version: For the money, there are bigger amps with ourstanding tone, more power, and a lot more features out there than the Tiny Terror.

But if you just need good tone in the bedroom, you can get away with something a lot cheaper (like and Epi VJ) that'll give you a nice tube tone at home.

Not that I have anything against the Tiny Terror's sound, just it's value.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I wrote a long reply to this, then my computer failed.

I HATE that, especially forums where the 'back' button wipes out anything I had typed.

Also the money thing makes perfect sense when you consider the cost of the TT in the US vs how much it costs in Aus/UK - in the US you're paying a premium price which the amp probably isn't worth. Conversely I wouldn't mind a Dr Z or a Krank but those are so ridiculously prohibitively expensive in Aus (if you can even get them) that they aren't worth considering even though they smash most local offerings.

Also I've played the Epi VJ a bit and personally I don't think it's even comparable to the TT. The VJ had one decent tone from its ones knob. The TT has really usable seperate vol/tone/gain which create way more usable sounds than the VJ, the TT had way cleaner and way dirtier sounds at comparable volumes, but thats just my opinion from testing them head-to-head in-store. I wasn't able to find a Blackheart little giant to test but I'm guessing its also way better than the Epi.
Last edited by Ausgeno at Aug 18, 2008,
That sounds like a sweet setup man, VJ with a tone control and a lil more gain would be killer. Was the mod very expensive?
Page 1 of 2