hey,

I play a lot of shows with my peavey valveking 212 and i have the feelling sometimes i have to force it and also ive had to put it 2 times at 3/4 of the volume and i dont really like that, so will my problem be solved if i buy a VK 412 box extra?

gtrz
Henis
You will still be pushing the same amount of power overall. It will just be spread to a 4 x 12 setting.

I have been told that this might give the perception of being louder as you will be moving 4 speakers, but I am not sure if that is the case.

I could be wrong, but if you were to invest in a 4 x 12 and some small type of power amp, you could put that in the chain in between the amp and the 4 x 12 cab. This shouldn't color your sound too much but give you more volume.

I am sure someone will chime in with a better explanation.
Quote by JCLangiu
You will still be pushing the same amount of power overall. It will just be spread to a 4 x 12 setting.

I have been told that this might give the perception of being louder as you will be moving 4 speakers, but I am not sure if that is the case.

I could be wrong, but if you were to invest in a 4 x 12 and some small type of power amp, you could put that in the chain in between the amp and the 4 x 12 cab. This shouldn't color your sound too much but give you more volume.

I am sure someone will chime in with a better explanation.

and could you give an example of a small type power amp? and also, how much will this cost extra?
youre supposed to play valve amps loud dude

hang on, isnt the 212 like 50w?

my guitarist has a 40W tube amp and volume on 4 is too loud
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
youre supposed to play valve amps loud dude

hang on, isnt the 212 like 50w?

my guitarist has a 40W tube amp and volume on 4 is too loud

it's 100w and i play it loud, mostly on 6 or 7
Here is one I looked up really quick:

QSC GX3 Stereo Power Amp

Don't race out and grab anything until some other people give you their 2 cents.

But if you need to bump up the 100w, in theory you should be able to run your slave out into the poweramp into the 4x12 cabinet.
Here is perhaps a better question.

If 100w is not enough, does your band use a PA system. I play through a 50w Rectoverb. If that is not enough, we mic my cabinet and run it through the PA.

I am still amazed that 100w is not enough.

As for your link. Whatever works for you in the end is what you need. I think a poweramp will do what you want. That is basically how the pa works anyways in essence.
You could always tell your drummer to back off some. Try to find a low level rather than everyone competing for volume. It save your ears in the future.

Stop scooping your mids.
Quote by JCLangiu
Here is perhaps a better question.

If 100w is not enough, does your band use a PA system. I play through a 50w Rectoverb. If that is not enough, we mic my cabinet and run it through the PA.

I am still amazed that 100w is not enough.

As for your link. Whatever works for you in the end is what you need. I think a poweramp will do what you want. That is basically how the pa works anyways in essence.

but my amp has enough power but my boxes on the Vk just can't handle it, you see, thats why i thought 6 speaker could do a better job than 2, but if you have an other solution, than please give it.
If you are set on getting the cab, go for it. You should be able to push it enough to get whatever your combo cannot handle.

Definitely look for something used.

I found a Mesa 4x12 online for $500. No way would I pay the $900 they ask for it new.
Quote by JCLangiu
If you are set on getting the cab, go for it. You should be able to push it enough to get whatever your combo cannot handle.

Definitely look for something used.

I found a Mesa 4x12 online for $500. No way would I pay the $900 they ask for it new.

and what about just the peavey valveking 412 cab? its 400 watts and ive heard it sounds really good.
The cab you get is up to you. They all sound a bit different and suit music styles better than others.

I bought the Mesa I was talking about above because it has the sound characteristics that I like.

You should bring your combo to a guitar shop and try it out before you go putting money down on anything. Just because you test drive the cabinet doesn't mean you have to buy it from there.
Quote by JCLangiu
The cab you get is up to you. They all sound a bit different and suit music styles better than others.

I bought the Mesa I was talking about above because it has the sound characteristics that I like.

You should bring your combo to a guitar shop and try it out before you go putting money down on anything. Just because you test drive the cabinet doesn't mean you have to buy it from there.

yeah, i was thinking about that, thanks for the help, man.
Honestly I am going to do something similar which is why I jumped on the thread.

I plan on using my combo to practice and when I need to gig, hooking it up through my 4x12. Not so much for more volume as the amp only puts out so much, but more for a fuller sound.

Good luck.
I heard the Peavey cabs were not that good due to the speakers. What about an Avatar cab.

Are you sure you won't lose the 2 speakers in combo when running out to cab?

Sounds like you guys are not mic'ed so having drummer back off a bit and/or placing the amp up off the floor and possibly angled. Add an OD? Power texture on "AB", boost on, patch in effects loop, what are your setting?......just throwing stuff out there.