Ok cosmetic.

Colour. How much does it cost to have a guitar repainted? At the moment its glossy, gold and i want it white with no gloss on the neck (The gloss really slows you down)

How much?

Pickguard. What colour pickguard do you think will go with a white explorer? How much do pickguards cost?

Now to the more important stuff.

Pickups. Either

A) http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=EMGZWBK

Or

B)http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=SDSH8B

New hardware. Where can i get it? Warmoth.com?

Thanks
NEVER buy pick up sets by kirk hammet, zakk wylde, kerry king or whatever. exactly the same things like if you buy an emg 81 and 85 but more expensive because of the "zakk wylde" words on the box......
just from personnal experience, youre probably gonna get a lot of people on here who are gonna tell you the invader sounds awful and its a terrible pickup. but i just installed one in one of my guitars and i love it. its so raw and powerful! but for hardware go to either guitarfetish.com (where you can also get cheap pickguards, im not sure if you can for an explorerthough) or some kind of local music store. thats where i got all my stuff when i customized mine. hope this helps
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
Bump.

EDIT: I'm looking at prices for tuning heads and there $12 AUD. Is that each or for a set?
Last edited by Final !mpact at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by Final !mpact
Ok cosmetic.

Colour. How much does it cost to have a guitar repainted? At the moment its glossy, gold and i want it white with no gloss on the neck (The gloss really slows you down)

How much?

I would try painting it myself...
link

Pickguard. What colour pickguard do you think will go with a white explorer? How much do pickguards cost?

I would order from pickguard corner. You can get like any design you want.
link

Now to the more important stuff.

Pickups. Either

A) http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=EMGZWBK

Or

B)http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=SDSH8B

New hardware. Where can i get it? Warmoth.com?

Thanks

As for pickups, it would depend entirely on what type of music you want to play, and the type of wood your guitar is made of. I'm sure someone with more experience could help you with this.

My two cents.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
Quote by EtherealAmateur
My two cents.

Thanks
I do not want to paint it myself because it would be my first time and its my only guitar. If i **** it up i am going to have to get a pro to do it again anyway right? This just eliminates the risk factor

If/When i get a hold of a cheap strat copy im going to repaint it myself Thats my next project

About the pick guard. I don't want to order online... If there's a place in australia that sells explorer pick guards I would much rather do that.

As for the pick-ups. I play mostly metal so a good distortion sound is important which is why i thought of EMGs. But a decent clean sound is also just as important.

Thanks for the reply
I'm looking at prices for tuning heads and there $12 AUD. Is that each or for a set?

If that's from Warmoth it'll probably be for one head. The description should clearly state it though. I got a lot (and I mean a LOT) of hardware from them and it's all good stuff.

I got smashed by customs for importing it though (+$300 USD on a $1300 order...) which will vary depending what the import tax is like in your country.

Pickguard = I'd go white or black but them I'm simple...
PUPs = Check out some of the custom hand-wound sites. (I'm putting a BareKnuckle Nail-Bomb in the OTT Metal V I'm building). Soundclips
Quote by Final !mpact
Thanks
I do not want to paint it myself because it would be my first time and its my only guitar. If i **** it up i am going to have to get a pro to do it again anyway right? This just eliminates the risk factor

If/When i get a hold of a cheap strat copy im going to repaint it myself Thats my next project

About the pick guard. I don't want to order online... If there's a place in australia that sells explorer pick guards I would much rather do that.

As for the pick-ups. I play mostly metal so a good distortion sound is important which is why i thought of EMGs. But a decent clean sound is also just as important.

Thanks for the reply

yeah i wouldnt paint it as your first one, not a good idea, get a cheep one like you said and try it.

pick guard on the other hand is really easy to paint, all you need is krylon spray paint, and it should bond to the plastic. it works well, i've done it before, no need to sand it either, and the finish mostly feels the same. but if you want to a clear sealer would help.

EMGs are good, but dont just get them because everyone else gets them, try some out, ask around, find something that you like the sound of, alot of shops have guitars with different pickups to try them out, find the one that fits what you want to play.
Quote by aaron6890
yeah i wouldnt paint it as your first one, not a good idea, get a cheep one like you said and try it.

pick guard on the other hand is really easy to paint, all you need is krylon spray paint, and it should bond to the plastic. it works well, i've done it before, no need to sand it either, and the finish mostly feels the same. but if you want to a clear sealer would help.

EMGs are good, but dont just get them because everyone else gets them, try some out, ask around, find something that you like the sound of, alot of shops have guitars with different pickups to try them out, find the one that fits what you want to play.

No i am not getting EMGs because everyone else likes them. I have tried out several guitars with EMG's. A HSS one. I didnt much like the Single Coils but the humbucker (81)was good. I also played one with a P90 and it was OK... Not great for the tone i wanted. So i think i might get an 81 and a 60 for the neck.

What i really want to know is how much getting someone to paint my guitar will cost ... also where i can get it done. Painting is my main concern right now.
If it's just the gloss on the neck you don't like, then if you lightly sand the laquer with some aluminium oxide paper until it's smooth you should be good. Don't sand through the finish, just remove the gloss...
Quote by supergerbil
If it's just the gloss on the neck you don't like, then if you lightly sand the laquer with some aluminium oxide paper until it's smooth you should be good. Don't sand through the finish, just remove the gloss...

Its not just the gloss. I like cream-white explorers. Just my guitar fetish
Not to be rude but wouldn't you be better off emailing/ringing local paint-shops and asking them rather than posting in a forum where 95%(?) of people have no idea how much it would cost in your location?
Quote by bellerophon
Not to be rude but wouldn't you be better off emailing/ringing local paint-shops and asking them rather than posting in a forum where 95%(?) of people have no idea how much it would cost in your location?

Haha. Problem is i have no idea who to call...
Are you in Austrailia?

Maybe our wonderful Mr. Ormsby deserves a phonecall from a fellow UG'er?
------

Shwiggity.