I love the overdrive on my amp, but the perfect sound for leads is too much distortion for chord playing, even when I roll back the guitar's volume, so I'd like an overdrive to add gain for leads.

I want something quite smooth and creamy, but it would be nice if it had a tone control, because I like tweaking, and it gives me more versatility. Good bypass is important! Although at a pinch I could mod something to true bypass, I'd much rather it came with TB or a decent buffered bypass. No tone sucking behringer pedals!

My budget is around £70, although I could spend more if I really like something (I have more money, but I'd rather not spend it because I just lost my job and it has to last a bit).
This budget might make getting TB difficult , which is why I'm open to spending a bit more. Also, I'm perfectly prepared to by used stuff, which might help.

I am going to some guitar shops to try stuff out in a couple of days, but I just wanted some ideas of what to look at. I might be open to buying something without trying it, but only if its very highly recommended.

Suggest away, but no really extravagantly priced pedals.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
The Zakk Wylde overdrive is pretty sweet. And it's not just for all out metal, i think buddy guy even uses one for a breakup tone. Can get them on ebay fairly cheap or even new. Basically it's a tubescreamer or so i've been told so that might be worth looking into too. Wish you'd have seen my thread a couple of weeks ago, was selling a weird Korg programmable OD, but now i've fallen for it so not selling. Shame
Marshall Guv'nor? Or Bluesbreaker?
These Marshall pedals are underrated IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Yeah man agree with you there. The bluesbreaker as name suggests is pretty good at the blues break up, But the Guv'nor certainly aint a bad pedal!
There are better OD's than the Zakk Wylde for the same price. Don't get the Zakk Wylde. Maxon OD808 is nice, or a TS9 would do you good.

It's all up to opinion really. Take a trip to the local shop and try some out.
incidentally, the Digitech Bad Monkey is a phenomenal overdrive for the price. when you go to test stuff out, don't pass it by just because it's a Digitech--definitely give it a listen.

as for other options, any 808-style overdrive will get you close to where you want to be. this includes the aforementioned Maxon, as well as the TS808, Smart People Factory Green Line, and tons of others.

also, if you're already happy with the tone of your amp, you might want to consider a clean boost like the MXR Micro Amp. if you place it before your tube amp and set it right (anything after 12 o'clock), it'll increase the gain and give you a bit of a volume boost for solos while keeping the actual tone of your amp completely in tact. other good boosts include the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster (it's even got a switch on it to compress/EQ single coils to sound more like either vintage or hot-rodded humbuckers), Toadworks Meat Jr., and the Fulltone Fat Boost. both of the latter two have "fat" switches that, when engaged, boost the low end as well as give you a clean boost.

other than that, just experiment with some stuff and see what you like!
Quote by BloodBlooms
incidentally, the Digitech Bad Monkey is a phenomenal overdrive for the price. when you go to test stuff out, don't pass it by just because it's a Digitech--definitely give it a listen.

I don't have anything against digitech, they have some decent pedals (I own two).

Quote by BloodBlooms

also, if you're already happy with the tone of your amp, you might want to consider a clean boost like the MXR Micro Amp. if you place it before your tube amp and set it right (anything after 12 o'clock), it'll increase the gain and give you a bit of a volume boost for solos while keeping the actual tone of your amp completely in tact. other good boosts include the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster (it's even got a switch on it to compress/EQ single coils to sound more like either vintage or hot-rodded humbuckers), Toadworks Meat Jr., and the Fulltone Fat Boost. both of the latter two have "fat" switches that, when engaged, boost the low end as well as give you a clean boost.

I would like the pedal to have a bit of extra gain on tap though, just 'cos its useful.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by monkey_dancer

I would like the pedal to have a bit of extra gain on tap though, just 'cos its useful.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Marshall Guv'nor (or Jackhammer's OD setting) appears to be ideal. Try one out.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO