Hey guys,

I have some problems with my recording setup:

1) My Rockfrog gives the signal directly back to the headphones, so I hear the clean guitar even if I don't have a program like Guitar Rig or Cubase running, which shouldn't be. And then also, when I use my Guitar Rig 2, I hear the clean signal as well as the one that goes through the program. SOLVED

2) When using Cubase, I can't hear the stuff I recorded. I hear it when I'm recording it and everything works fine, but when I want to listen to the track afterwards, I don't hear anything.SOLVED

I hope you get what I mean..

Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

Any help appreciated!

Edit: totally forgot: I use ASIO4ALL. perhaps that has something to do with it..

Edit 2: a Rockfrog is this thing: http://www.usbband.com/rockfrog.htm

Edit 3: I solved the first program, as it seems, it only works on one USB port

I solved the problem, as I thought it was just a stupid little thing I forgot..

Thanks everyone for their help.. well.. mostly Sunburst1!

Last edited by Kamikaze21 at Aug 22, 2008,
contact steinberg..you paid for there software...which entitles you to there support.
Quote by PsychomanZ
contact steinberg..you paid for there software...which entitles you to there support.

negative.

I'm pretty sure I only forgot a simple thing, I just can't see what..
As far as I'm concerned, if you don't pay for the software, you're on your own.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
As far as I'm concerned, if you don't pay for the software, you're on your own.

CT

As far as I'm concerned, if I don't pay for the software, I don't get help from the Steinberg support center. That's why I'm asking here.
I think you'll find that the environment around here is pretty heavily in favour of purchasing stuff you use. You might not get much help here either.

...certainly not speaking for others - just myself....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I can understand that you think it unfair that you paid for it and others don't.
The reason that I didn't buy it is that I'm using it for a school project and so I got a copy of the multi-license program of the school. I can however not contact the support center as I'm running it on my personal computer and not on the school computer.
Also, I made several bad expierences with support centers, so I don't really trust them that they can help me anymore.
I'm a teacher, so I speak from experience. In fact, I have been the IT person at my school for the past five years. When boards of ed are given multi-licence versions or site licence versions of software, it is very, very rare for that licence to extend to take-home use by students. As in almost never. I have never heard of a Stenberg licence that goes beyond a specified number of machines and that they MUST be computers within the school building. I also know that typically, Steinberg will issue a USB dongle for each copy they authorize on site. (I was looking into it for my school... that's what they told me) Just because someone burned you a copy or let you take one home or whatever doesn't mean they were within their rights to do so.

Teachers are just as ignorant (or apathetic) about about copyright law as any other group or demographic. These are the same people who ask me to burn them CDs, or think that just because they bought the DVD at the video store that they are allowed to show the video in the classroom. Nope.

Now, if you BUY the software, I have found that not only the cubase.net forum (must be a registered user) and Steinberg Canada themselves have been great at helping me resolve issues.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 18, 2008,
I know that they don't have the right to give me a copy, that's why I said that I can't ask the support center.

As you said, it's theoretically not allowed to show DVDs in class. It's also not allowed to lend books etc. Fact is that usually schools don't really care about copyright laws, and that has always been like that. I don't know about your school, but we have for example a media library which is completely illegal regarding the copyright laws.
I don't say these laws don't count for schools, but I think you can't see them that strictly.

btw, just out of interest: Do you never show movies in class, copy texts from books or anything like that? Because then I'd really like to see your teaching.

Anyway, I was hoping for some help and not a discussion about copyright laws, so could anyone else help me?
Being as opinionated as I am about respecting intellectual and creative property, I am keenly aware of how easy it would be for me to be perceived a hippocrate should I take various liberties when it suits me. As a result, I force myself to live by my own strict standards.

It is perfectly legal to lend books. Libraries do it all the time. It's against the law to photocopy them in their entirety.... There are provisions in copyright law that allow certain amounts of copying in certain circumstances for educational use.

I don't know what is in your media library at school, but if it is videos, DVDs, software and the like, then it should be perfectly legal - as long as the library is lending out originals and not copies, and isn't allowing people to make copies.

Yes, I show movies in class. Our school purchased the performance rights for about a dozen publishing houses (Warner, MGM, etc.) to show videos by those specified publishers. Also, when the media library at your school, or in your school board purchases materials that are reasonably expected that they might be shown in class, the board is under obligation to purchase not just the video, but the performance rights for that video. I show videos that are borrowed from board resources, and ones that we have purchased separate rights to show through their publishers.

There is also a provision - like in print resources - that allows for showing portions of a work for educational purposes. I'll do that.

I set up a projector and show stuff from YouTube - which is no different than having the class log onto a computer and watching the video there. That might be stretching it a bit, but that's something I can live with.

Teachers, and especially school boards need to be really careful about these kinds of things. If a teacher is charged with copyright violations, even the union pretty much says 'we'll provide you with a lawyer, but you're on your own from there.' Your principal won't have a leg to stand on to support you either. If a board is charged, that carries a HUGE penalty - potentially into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Sure, you might not get caught, but you never know what source is going to nail you, and where it is going to come from.

A local case (Ontario, Canada) from a number of years ago saw a teacher making dittos (before the photocopier days... haha) of graphics from a popular children's story published in the USA. As it turned out, the illustrator of those stories lived about a five minute drive from the school. Word got back.... DOH!

Another one.... a teacher was showing some feature film in class over a lunch hour. One of the kid's uncle worked for Warner Bros. Canada, the Canadian branch of the distributor of the film. The kid didn't know.... just told his uncle about some movie he really liked that his teacher showed at lunch time. BAM!

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 18, 2008,
..TS are you plugging the headphones into the rockfrog? i plug my headphones into my interface which is my multi fx pedal.

Dont listen to the other guy TS he sounds like the kind of teacher at school everybody hates!
Last edited by Sunburst1 at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by Sunburst1
..TS are you plugging the headphones into the rockfrog? i plug my headphones into my interface which is my multi fx pedal.

Dont listen to the other guy TS he sounds like the kind of teacher at school everybody hates!

I bet your another a**hole who didnt buy your software.
And i see your new...you need to take your noobish opinions elsewhere.
Quote by PsychomanZ
I bet your another a**hole who didnt buy your software.
And i see your new...you need to take your noobish opinions elsewhere.

Wrong i think youre the ass hole
Quote by Sunburst1
Wrong i think youre the ass hole

Pfffffffft....whatever thief.
Quote by Sunburst1

No, not everybody. Just the ones who think the world owes them everything and they want everyone to bend over backwards and give them everything without having to work for it.

On the other side, every year I get parents requesting that their kid be in my class.

So.... there's a context for ya.

CT

...and to put it further in perspective....

...as they say - "consider the source!"

Quote by Sunburst1 from another thread, talking about himself
lots of dumb things...driving without insurance, ticket touting where i couldnt sell the tickets, getting done for assault which cost me 200 quid, forgetting about having a leeky roof and the attic all rotting away etc, paid thousands on a college course i didnt finish.

Credibility....

CT

Quote by axemanchris
...and to put it further in perspective....

...as they say - "consider the source!"

Credibility....

CT

speaks volumes you looking through posts desperately..what age are you?!?

still stands though you must be hated at your school
Last edited by Sunburst1 at Aug 19, 2008,
Haha.... he deleted his post I quoted from. It was in the "most expensive mistake" thread in the pit.

No, deleting it from the thread didn't delete it from my quote. Worth a try, though, eh?

Night-night.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Haha.... he deleted his post I quoted from. It was in the "most expensive mistake" thread in the pit.

No, deleting it from the thread didn't delete it from my quote. Worth a try, though, eh?

Night-night.

CT

wow you are a bit of a psycho as a school teacher. didnt mean to touch a nerve im sure you are really liked at your work
Quote by Sunburst1

thx, finally some help!
Yeah, I plug my headphones into the rockfrog as it pretty much is my interface and it has a speaker out.

@ axemanchris: I really doubt that all canadian teachers are like that. Seriously, that's ridiculous. At my school (and also at every school I ever went) teachers even show films that they recorded from TV and there's even an archive of these. Anyway, you probably forgot that I'm not your student and I find it slightly immature not to help me because I don't follow your principles. But whatever, do what you want..

and @ PsychomanZ: regarding your writing, I assume that you're most probably quite young and thus you didn't buy your software yourself but your parents did.
You know, not everyone here gets money thrown after and not everyone can afford recording software so stfu!
I said above that teachers are just as ignorant (or at least apathetic) as any other demographic when it comes down to copyright laws. I pity the sucker who gets busted, though, because it happens. In the end, it's up to all of us to uphold our own standards. I don't care what other people at other schools do.

It would be hippocritical of me to say I have one standard and then help someone who I feel to be doing something immoral based on that same standard. It's not immature. It's consistency in living what I believe in. The word for that is 'integrity.'

I love how people use 'affording it' as an excuse. Unless it is easily and anonymously stolen, we tend to go without the things we can't afford.

Of course, these are often the people who have quad-core/8-core computer systems that cost $2000 or better, and they balk at buying stuff to run on it.

Someday, you too will create something and finally appreciate the value inherent in that.

CT

Quote by Kamikaze21
and @ PsychomanZ: regarding your writing, I assume that you're most probably quite young and thus you didn't buy your software yourself but your parents did.
You know, not everyone here gets money thrown after and not everyone can afford recording software so stfu!

Man i was probally getting laid while you were still in the womb.
Its ok, i blame society for people like you, If we were still allowed to beat our children when they do/did something wrong..maybe your generation would have turned out a little bit different.
On a side note, I'd like to see you walk into a guitar center and roll out the door a mesa boogie 1/2 stack,..hell, how about just one guitar?...just walk out with it..dont pay for it,..lets see where that "i cant afford it" attitude gets ya.
Quote by PsychomanZ
Man i was probally getting laid while you were still in the womb.
Its ok, i blame society for people like you, If we were still allowed to beat our children when they do/did something wrong..maybe your generation would have turned out a little bit different.
On a side note, I'd like to see you walk into a guitar center and roll out the door a mesa boogie 1/2 stack,..hell, how about just one guitar?...just walk out with it..dont pay for it,..lets see where that "i cant afford it" attitude gets ya.

lol sounds like your pissed because a) you thought a recto was a good purchase and b) because any gay long haired boys dont get well paid jobs unfortunately.. Back to the grind kid.
@axemanchris: You wouldn't help me doing something immoral, you would help me who's done something immoral as I see it. Also, I didn't say I can't afford it, I just said that there are people who can't afford it because that other spoiled kid started insulting people who download software.

Anyway, if anybody wants to further discuss copyright issues or parenting techniques please PM me or open a new thread.

And I hope there are some guys on here who help me out anyway..
Here's a hint for you Sunburst....

If you want to establish credibility, focus your argument on well-supported and clearly thought out ways of expressing and substantiating your opinion.

What you have done instead is resorted to personal attacks in every single post you've made in this thread. You ask how old *I* am. I think it's someone else's maturity we should all be worried about.

And okay, it might have been 'dirty pool' for me to dredge something up from another thread to bring to light where you undermine your own credibility, but it's not like I had to dig very far. With your lack of substance to your arguments being compensated for by middle-school level personal attacks, I asked myself "who is this guy? Should I cut him some slack because he's a 13 yo newb?" I clicked on your profile and found all twelve posts. It was about half way down where that rather colourful quote caught my eye.

When I say, "consider the source," I mean it. You do yourself no favours by undermining your own credibility - even within this immediate thread.

@kamikaze - the driver of the getaway car is *always* indicted as an accomplice, even if he had absolutely no part in pulling the trigger.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris
Here's a hint for you Sunburst....

If you want to establish credibility, focus your argument on well-supported and clearly thought out ways of expressing and substantiating your opinion.

What you have done instead is resorted to personal attacks in every single post you've made in this thread. You ask how old *I* am. I think it's someone else's maturity we should all be worried about.

And okay, it might have been 'dirty pool' for me to dredge something up from another thread to bring to light where you undermine your own credibility, but it's not like I had to dig very far. With your lack of substance to your arguments being compensated for by middle-school level personal attacks, I asked myself "who is this guy? Should I cut him some slack because he's a 13 yo newb?" I clicked on your profile and found all twelve posts. It was about half way down where that rather colourful quote caught my eye.

When I say, "consider the source," I mean it. You do yourself no favours by undermining your own credibility - even within this immediate thread.

@kamikaze - the driver of the getaway car is *always* indicted as an accomplice, even if he had absolutely no part in pulling the trigger.

CT

nearly 40 yrs old mate..someone call Chris Hansen!?!

'What are ya doin here?!?' Bit worrying.

Definately a hated teacher glad i dont go to your school.
Last edited by Sunburst1 at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Sunburst1
lol sounds like your pissed because a) you thought a recto was a good purchase and b) because any gay long haired boys dont get well paid jobs unfortunately.. Back to the grind kid.

I hate to tell you but, this "gay long haired boy" makes a G-note a week
(unlike your 40 hour c-note).
And thats ok,you can call a mesa a bad purchase,i understand kids these days knock off anything they cant afford. Hence why you probally have a epiphone instead of a real gibson..if that,..and a b-52 head vs a real mesa....its ok, i understand.
Quote by Sunburst1

'What are ya doin here?!?' Bit worrying.

Tell ya what... click on my profile and 'view all posts by axemanchris' or however it is labeled. You'll quickly see what I do here. And, if after browsing what it is that I do here is worrying to you, you need more help than any of us here can give you.

My posts here speak for themselves and provide a good picture of what sort of person I am... and what I do here.

Quote by Sunburst1

Definately a hated teacher glad i dont go to your school.

... and your posts continue to speak for themselves and provide a good picture of what person you seem to be too...and what YOU do here.

Now *that* is a bit worrying.

CT

WTF?
Seriously, fight your personal wars somewhere else, nobody cares!

@All: The questions in the first post are still unanswered and I'd be very glad for some help if that suits with your conscience. Thanks!
you should change the title of this thread to "is downloading illegal?", although i could of sworn i've seen about 5 of those before...
yeah, actually that was not the goal of this thread, it was probably a fault that I gave in to the discussion..

Just ignore everything except the first post please!
Quote by Kamikaze21
Just ignore everything except the first post please!

Ummm. NO !..You figured out how to steal/pirate the software..now figure out how to run it!
^In several posts you stated quite clearly that you don't want to help me, so my post obviously wasn't directed to you. Please get a life and out of this thread!

@all others: I solved the first problem by the way, so it's just the Cubase problem left. Any help please?
Quote by Kamikaze21
^In several posts you stated quite clearly that you don't want to help me, so my post obviously wasn't directed to you. Please get a life and out of this thread!

@all others: I solved the first problem by the way, so it's just the Cubase problem left. Any help please?

Umm no..and since you dont take the hint..you have now been reported...have a nice day.