Hello all,
So I have finally decided after 6 years with my marshall combo amp to move up to a tube amp. I was thinking about getting the blackheart little giant but they raised their prices to 350 instead of 250 . I saw the epiphone valve junior was 250 which is really appealing to me. Is it worth making a special trip to guitar center to try out. And also is the cab that comes with it decent or is there a better cab for the money that wouldn't put me over 350. How does the valve junior half stack compare to the blackheart little giant? I play all types of rock and have an ibanez sz720 as my guitar. I also have a collection of pedals that I would run through the amp so that area is not a problem. This is for mainly a dorm room setting but with some jamming with the occaisional bass and drummer.
Thanks
I prefer the Valve Junior, but it's voiced a bit differently then the blackheart. You need to try them. never ran a pedal through the blackheart either, but i know for a fact that the Vj loves them.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
thanks i appreaciate your opinion, is your valve junior amp stock or have you changed the tubes?
You will likely want 15 watts for the occasional drummer and bass. So Epi Valve Senior or BH Handsome Devil. Why not a combo amp?
my stock valve jr half stack was awesome, then i got it modded and it was even better, but it's great with pedals but if you get it stock you might want to get an eq pedal if you don't have one, i didn't have one but i got it modded to include an eq so that's worked fine for me, the stock cab is also really good for the price and it can handle up to 70 watts so if you do ever want to step up to a head with a little more wattage but can't afford another cab you got up to 70 watts to work with on the valve jr cab
Mine is stock. I run it with a POD XT Live. I absolutely love this setup.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i have a modded vj and love it to death. i've done the bimo spanky mod www.thetubestore.com/bmspanky.html and jj tubes and a heyboer output transformer from www.allenamps.com heyboer claims a wattage gain to from 5 watts to 8 to 10 watts. i can tell you it is much LOUDER for sure. and the tone is killer! i don't have the epi cab i play thru a 1x12 cab with a celestion g12k. and it loves pedals!
Quote by gregs1020
Why not a combo amp?

+1

These companies sure seem to be selling their little stacks, but those heads are much better for a guy who already has a cab at home, IMHO. You get much more for you money with a combo, and even more when you take that budget to the used market.

If you're flush with pedals, and really have to have the head & cab thing, the VJ and an Avatar 1x12 would be my suggestion.

With only two tubes, changing them out is an easy, cheap, and brilliant "mod" to perform on your VJ. I was fortunate enough to find a used Mullard EL84 which smoothed out the tone beyond belief, but there are plenty of alternatives that will be less expensive and still be major upgrades over the stock tubes.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I just got the blackheart and after replacing the tubes for tone and twisting and sorting out the wiring to reduce the hum, it sounds absolutely fantastic. It takes pedals well and it has a triode/pentode switch that lets you switch back and forth from 3w and 5w. So if you just wanna practice at home run it at 3w and crank the volume to hear the natural tube distortion (something that I could never do at home with my 50 watt fender T_T;; )
blackhart/valve junior?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412