I got a new laptop for graduation, a Toshiba A205-S5843.

it's alright for recording music and everything, but it needs a better graphics card for my 3D-graphics program. Can anybody help me out? Is it even possible to upgrade graphics cards of laptops?

I am a notebook noob.
I can't say with 100% certainty about yours, but in general, you cannot upgrade a laptop graphics card. About the best things you can do is upgrade your hard drive, RAM and batteries.

If you're not already at your limit, the RAM might be beneficial to you though.
Your laptop has an X3100 graphics card which doesn't have dedicated memory, meaning that it uses system memory. With that being the case upgrading your RAM will be quite beneficial. I've seen some different information regarding your laptop - one source states it takes a maximum of 4GB of RAM and the other that it takes a maximum of 2GB, I hope that the former is correct .

The X3100 isn't an awful card but you aren't going to be able to run many games released in the past few years on high settings.
should've bought an alienware
they all come with Nvidia Geforce 8s don't they?
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by MrP
Your laptop has an X3100 graphics card which doesn't have dedicated memory, meaning that it uses system memory. With that being the case upgrading your RAM will be quite beneficial. I've seen some different information regarding your laptop - one source states it takes a maximum of 4GB of RAM and the other that it takes a maximum of 2GB, I hope that the former is correct .

The X3100 isn't an awful card but you aren't going to be able to run many games released in the past few years on high settings.

The former would only be correct if the TS is using a 64-bit operating system. Upgrading your RAM still wouldn't make much of a difference on an integrated graphics card seeing as they lack the processing power of dedicated cards. You would still have to factor in hard drive speed and your mobo's FSB. Most laptops I've seen have FSBs rated from 533MHz to 667MHz which is not that decent for gaming. A 4200-5400rpm hard drive doesn't help much either.

Edit: run the command "dxdiag" in command prompt or in Run, or download a tool like GPU-Z to tell us the specs of your card
Last edited by acersucks at Aug 17, 2008,