Hi guys, I recently bought an amp, Meridian AK15G, and it sucks ... so Im going to take it back to the shop and get my money back. I was thinking of investing an extra 100 pounds ( i have extra money around because I sold my Jackson ) and getting the "Marshall MG250DFX"... so whats everyone opinions?
as everyone will say, dont. Just save up and get something more worthwile (tube combo idealy)
Quote by vitchb
as everyone will say, dont. Just save up and get something more worthwile (tube combo idealy)

wats a tube combo?
Quote by LiamBamBam
wats a tube combo?

tube amps are a different type of amp all together, the marshall MG series is solid state which is crap whereas tubes are great in every way
Quote by LiamBamBam
wats a tube combo?

A combo amp which uses tubes instead of transistors.

^Tubes aren't ALWAYS better than SS.
It's all personal preference, and there is quite a few bad tube amps actually.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Aug 17, 2008,
if u have any kinda money get a tube amp .. especially if u wanna play rock ... a tube combo is a tube head and a cab
Quote by Huffman
if u have any kinda money get a tube amp .. especially if u wanna play rock ... a tube combo is a tube head and a cab

o ok
Quote by Huffman

Eh? That's a really bad description which could easily confuse him.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by lewis_grey
tube amps are a different type of amp all together, the marshall MG series is solid state which is crap whereas tubes are great in every way

well the Marshall MG is widely regarded as a crap amp, but not all solid state amps are crap. likewise, not all tube amps are great either.

and i think what Huffman meant to say was that tube combos are a tube head and a cabinet combined together in one unit, hence "combo".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by LiamBamBam
wats a tube combo?

1) A Marshal MG anything is not gonna be good. Ask around. They suck.
2) A tube combo is a tube amp that also has the speakers in it. You have the 112 and the 212. The 112 has 1 12 inch speaker in it, while the 212 has 2 12 inch speakers.
A tube amp will not always be better than solid state, but in this case it probably will. Give a budget, bands/genres/influences, how you will use it (in home practice, gigs) and we could help you out much better.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by Blompcube
well the Marshall MG is widely regarded as a crap amp, but not all solid state amps are crap. likewise, not all tube amps are great either.

and i think what Huffman meant to say was that tube combos are a tube head and a cabinet combined together in one unit, hence "combo".

I knew that I'm just saying, that if somone who doesn't know read that, it does sound like he's saying "a tube combo is when you have a head and cab" which means said noob could go out and buy a half stack.

Jus' saying.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I knew that I'm just saying, that if somone who doesn't know read that, it does sound like he's saying "a tube combo is when you have a head and cab" which means said noob could go out and buy a half stack.

Jus' saying.

yeah i know you knew, I was correcting huffman for saying it, not correcting you for pointing it out
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by lewis_grey

i usually don't say this, but STFU !
if you don't know **** about those two types of amplification, then shut up about it instead of giving false information.
solid state isn't always crap. vetta 2, axe-fx, jc-120, pritchard, the list goes on and on. all great amplifiers.
tubes great in every way ? oh ffs, i'm not even going to respond to that

sorry for the rant, but people like him make me angry. very.
^ay the orange is the orange, the screamer is like the aple nah but if ur into rockish tones the orange is killer i like my steak abit more "well-done" tho but tey they take pedals well yes?
Quote by The red Strat.
Sorry for the rant, but people like him make me angry. very.
I got pissed off with all that "Tube = God" stuff long ago. Every other thread is about "tube amps" and it's stupid. I'm never going to quit whining about it.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Aug 17, 2008,
$10 says the TUBE=GOD kid hasnt ever played on one, has only read about them here.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
^well i knew tubes were superior even before i ever played one....actually no thats wrong i realized the moment i plugged my guitar into one CAUSE THEY RE GODDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

IMO
Quote by LastCaress88
$10 says the TUBE=GOD kid hasnt ever played on one, has only read about them here.
Who? O_o

Quote by georgakis187
^well i knew tubes were superior even before i ever played one....actually no thats wrong i realized the moment i plugged my guitar into one CAUSE THEY RE GODDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!
You plugged your guitar into a "tube" ?
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Aug 17, 2008,
The kid who was talking about how tubes were incomparably superior to SS amps. Theres a good chance he hasnt ever played one, and is just repeating what he saw someone say here to try and look like he knows what he's talking about. Same with the MG, Spider, any tube amp over .5 watts, any halfstack, all that hate. Now I know people have thier good points about these subjects, but not the ones who see it in one thread and have it in the next within a minute.

Threadstarter, I can only reccomend the MG if you're a beginner, and not the 100 watt version. You dont need Marshall Plexi tone when you start out, so an MG would be fine for you. It's got clean and overdrive, and a ton of effects to mess around with. It'll help you learn, which is a good thing in the long run.
I'm sick of hearing people say that a beginner's gotta go buy a "Laney" or "Orange" or some other off brand to learn their first chords on. What happened to starting out on ****ty gear, learning what tone you want, and then later on finally getting it? Since when does everyone who starts playing guitar have to have professional tone?
I know that you dont want to waste $1000 on an MG, but for beginngers, theyre perfect. Some people need to stop acting like Jim Marshall or Lee Jackson or whoever, like they know everything about every amp, and quit the superior act.

Threadstarter, If you're gigging, or just think its time to better achieve your own tone, buy something else. Maybe the MG suits you, and if so then go buy the 100 watt combo/half stack version. If not, then look somewhere else. Maybe tubes are for you, maybe not, but its worth a shot of trying them out.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Quote by LastCaress88
. Maybe the MG suits you, and if so then go buy the 100 watt combo/half stack version. If not, then look somewhere else. Maybe tubes are for you, maybe not, but its worth a shot of trying them out.

The MG is pretty crap though, even for beginners standard. He'd get more value for money grabbing something like a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube, which has different pre-sets, etc so he can see what kind of tone he likes. And if he was to get an MG, the 100 watt version is a no. It is a complete rip off. And if anybody was to get an MG to practice on, at most I'd reccommend the MG15 which is pretty cheap (yet still over priced) because it is small and compact, good for beginners.
Quote by LiamBamBam
Hi guys, I recently bought an amp, Meridian AK15G, and it sucks ... so Im going to take it back to the shop and get my money back. I was thinking of investing an extra 100 pounds ( i have extra money around because I sold my Jackson ) and getting the "Marshall MG250DFX"... so whats everyone opinions?

It's sh1t
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would recommend a Roland Microcube or a Vox Da5. Small, decent tone, effects to get your feet wet. You are obviously a beginner and SS amps will be better for you. WElcome to the forum and keep playing!
Get the Roland MicroCube or cube 30x

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Quote by Pinky19
Get the Roland MicroCube or cube 30x

brilliant avatar
There is no point in getting a 250 watt amp. EVER. Nobody needs that much power, plus that particular amp sounds pretty crap. Try out some smaller amps which are in your price range.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by monkey_dancer
There is no point in getting a 250 watt amp. EVER. Nobody needs that much power, plus that particular amp sounds pretty crap. Try out some smaller amps which are in your price range.

Actually, it is 100 watts. but it is a 212. 2 50 watts=100, stupid, I know.
I think John Frutiscane (sp?) uses a 250 watt, but that's for clean headroom and he plays stadiums so..
Quote by vitchb
brilliant avatar

Thanks. I've gotten into a habit of saying bob sagget instead of swearing or anything else. It works wonders.

PLEASE READ THE STICKIES !
They are posted at the top of the forum thing
AND GIVE YOU EXPLANATIONS FOR ALOT OF STUFF!

Style
Budget
Band or home environment
Quote by Pinky19
Thanks. I've gotten into a habit of saying bob sagget instead of swearing or anything else. It works wonders.

haha cool, i painted a mug with the words 'Ah Bob Saget' on it :P
Quote by mcrfobtai
Actually, it is 100 watts. but it is a 212. 2 50 watts=100, stupid, I know.
I think John Frutiscane (sp?) uses a 250 watt, but that's for clean headroom and he plays stadiums so..

Oh, I see! That is a pretty ridiculous way to name something. Or it could be a clever marketing strategy:

"Oh, wow, a 250W amp! Br00talz!"

Either way,

Does he? He could just as easily mic up a smaller amp... Ah well.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
^lol
I agree, it's pretty dumb.
I bet the noobs have lots of trouble deciding.
"the Half stack or 250w amp? Both are totally br00talz but which one?"
^it's A Tarp!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
there are about 5 guys in this thread that are to be listened to, the others are horrid.

Liam, i think may have been asked but,

are you in a band?
what's your budget?
what type of music do you play?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011