I can't get my volume knob over 4 (not 4 o'clock, just 4) without a lot of screeching feedback.

Is there a way to get up to 5 and beyond without high pitch, glass shattering feedback?

As in some effect I need, or some ancient chinese guitar amp secret I haven't yet learned?

Or does my amp just suck that much?

both my amps (the ghetto Squier Sp-10 and the Peavey Bandit) do the same thing.

thanks in advance.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
The high-pitched noise is called feedback, it is caused by the pick-ups picking up on the noise produced by the amp... Standing further from amp helps to reduce feeback, there are also stompboxes that redude the feedback.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Stand farther away from your amp and dont have your guitar facing the speaker. Less gain helps to. You could also try lowering your pickups a tad also.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
What kind of guitar and pickups do you have?
that plays a big role too,
cheap $99 guitar most likely = severe hum/feedback from poor grounding...
... dont face your amp
i have a peavey transtube like the one you speak of, but i also have a randall rg 200... feedback is always a problem with the compression sustianer and master volume on 10
just gotta keep on playing...
i use a volume pedal too to kill the noise when im not playing...
Try these

Gain down, volume up

Invest in a good noise gate

Stand further away