I play in a slipknot cover band i have got tons of questions on how i get the different sound effects that slipknot used on their first two cd's Self titled and iowa. Heres how they get their sounds and how i get mine as well!

Spit-It-Out- i have mostly gotten questions about this songs intro, mick uses his gx-700 and uses the humanizer effect with distortion set before the humanizer, he sets it to the letters A-E and has the depth on 100 and the rate on 38. Live he mutes the notes except for the E note, but on the album he hits all the notes open which is why it sounds so different.

Disasterpiece- For this effect Mick uses a Electro harmonix bassballs pedal, he has the distortion set on, and puts the amount knob set at 12:00, He sends that into his VHT Pittbull (iowa tours) or his Rivera Kr100/KR7 (subliminal-current) with distortion channel on, He rolls the volume down on his guitar and hits all open notes.

SIC- During the bridge of this song live you hear a crazy wah like sound, people use to think this was jim because during their disasterpiece dvd he was shown during this sound and he also stated he used a maxon filter during the song. but the main sound you hear is not the filter but the spit it out humanizer effect. the filter jim uses is played underneath that sound. Mick picks up from the b string all the way to the a and slides a powerchord from the 7th fret to the 5th.

Surfacing- The intro is played by Mick using his gx-700, he starts out with a pitch shifter that is set to one octave and two octaves above and the original note is mixed out, he then sends that to a auto wah which live isnt as deep sounding as it is on the cd version. he then adds some digital distortion from the gx-700.

Prosthetics- this is another gx-700 intro, mick uses a light flanger and is sent into a delay which is set only to repeat one time.

in order to play most of their effects you only really need 2 different devices. you need the electro harmonix bass balls pedal and the Boss Gx-700 (used on self titled-subliminal verses tour) or you can get the new Boss GT-Pro rackmount that mick started using this year on the mayhem tour. If you guys got any question please let me know.
But its still slipknot.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Dude, that was pretty bitchin.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
they use Line 6..haha

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
haha @ all replies.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by bojangleman
they use Line 6..haha

Alex

Dude, you are so incredibly wrong it makes my brain want to slap yours so hard that it desenegrates.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
Don't they use Rivera amps?

Mick uses Rivera Knucklehead, Jim uses Orange Rockerverb
Last edited by Horlicks at Aug 17, 2008,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944831-i1168996.gc

"including 311, Thursday, Lacuna Coil, Hawthorne Heights, Slipknot, Ash, Albert Lee, Athlete, John 5, and many more!"

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Dude, you are so incredibly wrong it makes my brain want to slap yours so hard that it desenegrates.

go for it....

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
It says to DIAL IN THE AMP MODELS. Nothing about them using them. And Line 6s are good if you look away from the Spiders anyway. You just very much failed.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by bojangleman
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944831-i1168996.gc

"including 311, Thursday, Lacuna Coil, Hawthorne Heights, Slipknot, Ash, Albert Lee, Athlete, John 5, and many more!"

Alex

Like, I said, you're an idiot. Just because Line 6 has Artist presets doesnt mean all those artists use Line 6. Its a promotional thing. All those artist went into Line 6 HQ and said "Oh, ok, well that sounds like a ****ty version on what it should sound like, but its close. Can I get my money now?" John 5 uses Marshall, Slipknot uses Rivera and Orange, Killswitch Engage uses Diesel and Splawn.

Dear God.

And the funny thing is that the amp you put the link for doesnt even have the models.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Quote by The Raven

All My Equipment
Last edited by Dark_Raven10 at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by bojangleman

Alex

Endorsing a Spider as a practice amp = big $ for slipknot.

I'd do it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I didnt want to take the time to look at your link, but im pretty sure its either a POD or Spider. And if thats the case, which im pretty sure it is, those are just models! You know like this settin sounds like Enter Sandman while this one sounds like Stairway!
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Wether or not you like Slipknot, this was a cool guide and hopefully will help people in different ways to experiment with sounds. It's always a good thing to try different sounds and effects, and then use them or change them how you see fit.
Quote by Horlicks
Do you believe all of those bands use the Spider?

Regarding your sig, what the hell is Live 6?

its a brand to make you ask questions...

and, no...i know they dont use those amps....i dont really care either...'

i have the 15watt version and its nice for practice...my friend has a 75watt version, and its really nice....we jam and he hasnt gotten it over 5...(im a drummer if you havent figured out)

and Dark Raven, i could care less what you think of me...im just going by what that says..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
^Yep.
Anyone else like Slipknot? I don't really mind them. I don't play much heavy stuff any more though, but the guide's good.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Quote by bojangleman
its a brand to make you ask questions...

i have the 15watt version and its nice for practice...my friend has a 75watt version, and its really nice....we jam and he hasnt gotten it over 5...(im a drummer if you havent figured out)

and Dark Raven, i could care less what you think of me...im just going by what that says..

Alex

Think before you speak then
Quote by Green RATM Day

Quote by The Raven

All My Equipment
Quote by bojangleman
they use Line 6..haha

Alex

Quote by bojangleman

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-...831-i1168996.gc

Alex

Quote by bojangleman

And the winner is... you!

Well not really
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
And the winner is... you!

Well not really

haha..

ill take it..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
......... Wow.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Quote by The Raven

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
......... Wow.

what is your problem?....

is it your month or something?

i cant post one thing without you being all over my butt...geez

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
That was sarcasm from Fama. But whatever man.

Oh, and I'm glad you realized Live 6 isn't a brand.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Quote by The Raven

All My Equipment
Last edited by Dark_Raven10 at Aug 17, 2008,
i almost expected this thread to turn into a slipknot bash. but somehow it became a bash on bojangleman
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
Quote by malashea_GTRST
i almost expected this thread to turn into a slipknot bash. but somehow it became a bash on bojangleman

haha..yah! its cool tho!

i started it, so they can bash on me..i should have kept my mouth shut..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
We'll leave you alone now as long as you get the point .
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Quote by bojangleman

Alex

*Could'nt care less

Could care less is saying you care and could care less.
Quote by JaGi
*Could'nt care less

Could care less is saying you care and could care less.

you just confused me even more..haha

but, you know what i mean...so there..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15