Page 1 of 2
It seems like the blues is predominant on this forum. So are you a bigger blues fan or jazz fan?
it's not a versus thread, just asking personal preference. I would say probably say jazz, because at the heart of it, the jazz spirituality is not far removed from the ethos of indian classical music (which is a part of my heritage). but of course there's something so authentic and earthy about the blues, which is what makes it unique in the sense, that playing the blues forces you to directly confront your own self at it rawest and most vulnerable state... but that applies to jazz as well! hah, I love 'em both!
jazz. i dont think i even own any purely blues albums
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Hm...Interesting question, although I think the answer is blues, jazz isn't really that far away...Actually it seems I've started listening more jazz and less blues lately, but I'll have to check my last.fm for that
I greatly enjoy both. But I have a bit more blues than jazz.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Love both, play both, buy albums of both, but for me its jazz by a long shot.
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
Jazz although I love the simplicity in lots of blues.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Fail, because Jazz IS blues.

I love ALL roots music equally.
i go through 'stages' like at the moment i perfer jazz but sooner or later ill listen to blues again

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
Most definitely jazz, but blues is great too.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by imgooley
Fail, because Jazz IS blues.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. They're similar and based in the same roots but A Love Supreme and Boom Boom aren't the same genre.
Quote by Jimmy94
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. They're similar and based in the same roots but A Love Supreme and Boom Boom aren't the same genre.

You're splitting hairs, Jimmy. Mr. PC and Rude Mood are the same genre. And I will repeat something Wynton Marsallis said: You can't play Jazz without that blues.

I see it like this. Blues is like a biscuit. Jazz is like a biscuit with gravy.
Quote by imgooley

I love biscuits. But I love biscuits with gravy too!

It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by slidething31
I love biscuits. But I love biscuits with gravy too!

Quote by imgooley
You're splitting hairs, Jimmy. Mr. PC and Rude Mood are the same genre. And I will repeat something Wynton Marsallis said: You can't play Jazz without that blues.

Even you agree, otherwise you would be saying blues is like a biscuit and jazz is like a biscuit. It's really not an issue that needs arguing... jazz is not blues. Sometimes jazz follows a blues format but that doesn't make them the same genre.
Quote by Jimmy94
Even you agree, otherwise you would be saying blues is like a biscuit and jazz is like a biscuit. It's really not an issue that needs arguing... jazz is not blues. Sometimes jazz follows a blues format but that doesn't make them the same genre.

Meh, it's a question of specificity. Jazz is just another form of blues to me.
hm, as far as the music in general, i'd have to say jazz. but i like playing blues on the guitar more.

and does anyone else think that they should seperate the Blues and Jazz forums? i just kinda think that would keep things a little more organized
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Quote by the_axis
hm, as far as the music in general, i'd have to say jazz. but i like playing blues on the guitar more.

and does anyone else think that they should seperate the Blues and Jazz forums? i just kinda think that would keep things a little more organized

I agree with you. There's always going to be the guy saying "jazz IS blues, man!", but the truth is that improvising and comping over a bebop tune is MUCH different than doing so over a Delta Blues. And even in the case of Mr. P.C., the way Coltrane approaches the I IV V progression is much different than how SRV would.
Quote by Slash 602
I agree with you. There's always going to be the guy saying "jazz IS blues, man!", but the truth is that improvising and comping over a bebop tune is MUCH different than doing so over a Delta Blues. And even in the case of Mr. P.C., the way Coltrane approaches the I IV V progression is much different than how SRV would.

And delta blues is approached differently than Chicago blues, and is approached differently in juke joint blues, and is approached differently in Kansas City blues.

Fact is, you can't have jazz without blues, but it's not the case the other way around.
Quote by imgooley
And delta blues is approached differently than Chicago blues, and is approached differently in juke joint blues, and is approached differently in Kansas City blues.

Fact is, you can't have jazz without blues, but it's not the case the other way around.

I was using delta blues as an example. Chicago blues is even further removed from bop and other forms of jazz. You're right, you can't have jazz without blues, but that doesn't make them the same genre. But I take back what I said before- I think having blues and jazz in the same forum is appropriate.
Quote by imgooley

Who puts gravy on biscuits?

While Jazz is rooted in the blues, you definitely cannot deny that the majority of jazz and the majority of blues is way different.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
Who puts gravy on biscuits?

While Jazz is rooted in the blues, you definitely cannot deny that the majority of jazz and the majority of blues is way different.

I wouldn't say majority, but I do agree that they are way different. However, that is in my mind the duality of music, which is such a human thing. Jazz itself is the duality of music. The chaotic and the orderly, the euphony and the cacophony, the technicality and the spontaneity. Jazz was formed by bringing to antithetical forms of music and melding them into a sublime creation.

And you've never had biscuits and gravy? For shame.
Quote by Jimmy94
omfg biscuits and gravy are so good

Hells yes!!!

I love me some biscuits and gravy.
Quote by imgooley

Just because Mr. PC is A blues Does not mean it is THE blues.

On topic I prefer Jazz. I used to be really into blues and I still love the soul Robert Johnson put into his playing but Jazz is just much more interesting to play and listen to.
Sig What?
Page 1 of 2