Hey UG

I've decided that from now on I am just buying the nicest pedals I can find, not the most affordable (within reason).

So, with that in mind, what's the best compressor you guys know of? All I've been able to find is the MXR Dyna Comp/MXR Super Comp, are they worthwhile?

I don't want something with a lot of bells and whistles, just good quality compression that'll smoothen out the clean channel on my amp (it probably won't be used dirty).

Thanks
Barber Tone Press is pretty nice for that.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Diamond Compressor
/thread
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Diamond Compressor
/thread

You failed at ending the thread.

TS, try the Keeley Compressor.
Keeeley Compressor is pretty much the end all be all of compressors. Alot of pros use them. They're really fantastic.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

The Carl Martin Compressor is really nice, a lot of country guys use that, also the Maxon RCP 660 Real Tube Compressor is awesome as well.
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
You failed at ending the thread.

TS, try the Keeley Compressor.

Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Cheers for the responses guys.

I like the sound of the Keeley Compressor, anyone know where I can find additional sound clips? I doubt my local shop is going to have one of these to road test unfortunatley..
Quote by guitar/bass76
How about an original Ross compressor?

Are they still in production? I have issues with getting hold of used gear unfortunatley..
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Aug 17, 2008,
It's still in production, I found one on GAK.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
I'm not one to hi-jack threads or anything, but what is a compressor pedal? What does it do?

Thanks.
O O

___
A compressor basically evens out the dynamics in your tone a bit, so on a clean channel you get more sustain and smoothness. Dirty channels on an amp naturally add compression, and that's why you get more sustain on a lead channel than you do on a clean channel.

If you set a compressor right you can get the same sort of smoothness on the clean channel of your amp along with the sustain, which gives you a much more balanced sound.
Quote by VoodooCow229
Keeeley Compressor is pretty much the end all be all of compressors. Alot of pros use them. They're really fantastic.

They are overpriced and there are a lot of pedals out there that sound just as good if not better for a lot less money.

If you don't mind background noise the guyatone TC-X compressor is amazing. It was discontinued a few years back because it was so noisy but it's tone was beyond words. If you are looking for something that doesn't really color your tone then check out cmatmods sigma comp. It is by far the quietest compressor I've ever had my hands on and it gives you the power and bite without sounding like you are using a compressor. If you want spongy compressor tone then go with the cmatmods ross clone. It's quiet, has great tone, and sounds like you are using a compressor.
Not taking any online orders.
as far as stompbox compressors go, I've never liked them. They've never seemed to do the job right.

As far as rack compressors go, I'd go for either the dbx 266xl (which is close to, if not the same price, of a Boss CS3) or the 166xl (which also has a limiter, good for stopping those 'pop' sounds you get with compression).

I own a dbx 166xl, which is way more expensive than most compressors, but it'll do the job right and is more tweakable that most compressors. As mentioned before, it also has a limiter, which is great for more me as I use the compressor for other instruments as well.
Not really looking for a rack setup TBH. My Rocekr 30 doesnf't have an FX loop, and I like the idea of a compressor after my clean boost.

Quote by CorduroyEW
They are overpriced and there are a lot of pedals out there that sound just as good if not better for a lot less money.

If you don't mind background noise the guyatone TC-X compressor is amazing. It was discontinued a few years back because it was so noisy but it's tone was beyond words. If you are looking for something that doesn't really color your tone then check out cmatmods sigma comp. It is by far the quietest compressor I've ever had my hands on and it gives you the power and bite without sounding like you are using a compressor. If you want spongy compressor tone then go with the cmatmods ross clone. It's quiet, has great tone, and sounds like you are using a compressor.

Wow. That Ross clone is awesome. Do they ship to the UK, that kicks the Keeley's ass, and the I was willing to buy the Keeley lol.
Yup, I'm in the UK. Check US ebay for the cmat stuff... he sells there for less.
Not taking any online orders.