hey guys i was thinking, for a nice 80's tone like acdc/ gnr/ led zepplin to get a ceriatone marshall clone, i read a previous thread of the 18 watter, but was just wondering if i could still be able to overdrive the tubes on the jtm 45 at lower volumes if i jump the channels, and use my guitar pots for volume/ OD control, or would the jtm be too much for bedroom use?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
I think they get super loud but an attenuator would fix that.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
i have a store near me that has a marshall jtm 45, if i try it out, would it give me a good representation of the ceriatone model?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
i think it might be too loud.
and if you want to biuild a JTM45 copy, it will obviously sound like one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-p_-JXr3E

search for vids on you youtube and then go try the amp and see how they compare. however, i think that due to the JTM being a bassman copy, its more oriented otrwards blues or rock so it would be better to get the plexi copy and an attenuator.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Aug 17, 2008,
^ Yes, it should. Ceriatones are a very good amp if you're trying to get Marshall tone. Just remember though, the Ceriatone is modeled after the Marshall, not the other way around.

And I wouldnt rely on using it for your bedroom, even at 18 watts. That will still get very loud. Prabobly even loud enough to play with a band with, with some volume to spare. I've never played an 18 watt, but if 100 watts isnt much louder than 50 watts, then maybe its the same way with 18 watts.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
also, check the fargen mini plexis. i dont know where they are sold, but they arer 12 watts and have some sort of attenuatro built into them
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by LastCaress88
^ Yes, it should. Ceriatones are a very good amp if you're trying to get Marshall tone. Just remember though, the Ceriatone is modeled after the Marshall, not the other way around.

And I wouldnt rely on using it for your bedroom, even at 18 watts. That will still get very loud. Prabobly even loud enough to play with a band with, with some volume to spare. I've never played an 18 watt, but if 100 watts isnt much louder than 50 watts, then maybe its the same way with 18 watts.

18 Watts is fine. My DSL is 40 watts, and I have no problem with it at bedroom levels. Mind, it's a master volume amp, and the overdrive channel has a pre-gain volume level, so maybe that helps.

Anyway threadstarter, they'd be worth a try I'd say. I've heard nothing but great things about Ceriatone's clones, especially the JTM. Not sure about their JCM's though.
Quote by LastCaress88

18watt is more than enough to play with a band. I use mine with band practise and at half volume I still need to attenuate it to halfway!

The 18watter is more than you'd need for bedroom. This is better for bedroom use:
http://www.dc-developments.com/cornell_plexi7_combo.htm
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Professor Fate
hey guys i was thinking, for a nice 80's tone like acdc/ gnr/ led zepplin to get a ceriatone marshall clone, i read a previous thread of the 18 watter, but was just wondering if i could still be able to overdrive the tubes on the jtm 45 at lower volumes if i jump the channels, and use my guitar pots for volume/ OD control, or would the jtm be too much for bedroom use?

Too much for bedroom use, I could never use my JTM45 in a bedroom and get away with it. I can use it in the house, but in a very large soundproofed room. Even still, it is a little too loud for small gigs if turned up all the way. If you have a guitar with hotter pickups, you can get the amp to start breaking up at 3 or so. But you won't get any real saturation, instead, you'll get this fat sustaining clean that sounds really great, is super dynamic, and will have a bit of hair on it when you hit the strings hard, but until you're pushing the volume to 5-6, you won't be getting any real overdrive. bridging the channels will give you more gain on "lower volume settings", but its not going to sound any quieter in terms of volume.

The JTM45 sounds great though for 60s/70s rock, but is not ideal for 80s rock. For early AC/DC, Clapton tones, you can't get any better. It will sound ok for Zeppelin tones as well. The cleans are amazing, I can't stress how great and responsive the cleans are.

http://www.germinoamps.com/classic45.htm

Thats a Germino 45 (a boutique built JTM45). There are sound clips at the bottom of the page that give a good idea of what the amp sounds like.

and of course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZA5jwAGDCQ

The famous Beano tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 17, 2008,
ok, if i specify down to tones like angus/rhodes/slash/yngwie something like that? (which will be used with a gibson LP)

Edit: for the rhodes sound, he had the mkII (is that similar to the jtm45?) and secondly he cascaded the channels, does that mean he didnt need to jump them? (could somebody explain what he did/ used?)
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Last edited by Professor Fate at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by Professor Fate
ok, if i specify down to tones like angus/rhodes/slash/yngwie something like that? (which will be used with a gibson LP)

Edit: for the rhodes sound, he had the mkII (is that similar to the jtm45?) and secondly he cascaded the channels, does that mean he didnt need to jump them? (could somebody explain what he did/ used?)

Tonally, you're probably best off with a 50 watt plexi, though it would likely be too much volumewise. The JTM-45 is more of an early AC/DC, Clapton, type of sound. I mean, you can certainly play all that stuff on one, they're amazingly versatile.

What Rhoads did was put one gain stage through another gain stage, thus "cascading" the gain stages, so yeah, he didn't externally jumper the channels.
what would be the main differnce from the plexi50 and the jtm45 aside from wattage? or would the tone be pretty much the same?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Quote by Professor Fate
what would be the main differnce from the plexi50 and the jtm45 aside from wattage? or would the tone be pretty much the same?

The 50 watt is bright and aggressive, the JTM45 is a bit warmer and bluesier. I mean, the difference is there, they're voiced a little bit differently. The 50 watt plexi is solid state rectified, giving it a different, quicker attack. Notes jump more. People who like the solid state rectifier say its more responsive, people who dislike it say it feels too stiff. The JTM45 is tube rectified so you get a pretty significant sag at high volumes and your notes "bloom" more. Again, people who like tube rectifiers say its more dynamic, people who dislike them say it feels mushy to play.

Of course, this isn't gospel by any means. When I say that the 50 watt is bright and aggressive, thats no indication that the JTM45 is a "nice" sounding amp, it gets quite nasty as well. Here is an AC/DC clip of the JTM45 posted on the Metro forums (I came across this while looking for speaker suggestions):

http://www.mushmouth.com/metrobuild/jtm_highway_dry.mp3

Of course, a lot of the tone has to do with speakers, etc. I could not get that tone out of my 45 if my life depended on it using the speakers I'm currently running.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 18, 2008,
Well I can tell you one thing. The JTM45 has less wattage, sure. But WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much for bedroom use. Having owned a Plexi and played a JTM45 for several times, they are roughly about the same volume. I could get my Plexi up to about...
Of 10. To get the tones you want you need the amp at 10. You MIGHT be able to crank up the JTM45 to 1 or 2. But forget getting any OD at god beroom volumes. Heck I can't even do that with my 18watter. I need to attenuate it to 9 or 8 (10 being qmax attenuation, meaning quiet). Actually for bedroom use, you'd be better of with a Pod X3 and headphones. Getting a tube amps and only using in your bedroom is just dumb. Especially a large one like that. Those amps are made to be GIGGED! I could abrley use them for rehearsal. Heck I gigged with my Plexi, unmiced in a large auditorieum at 2 and it was VERY loud!
So yeah, don't get the JTM45 for bedroom use.

And as al112987, the Mk II Plexi (JTM50) is a much better choice for those tones. It will be louder than the JTM45, but not noticeably. And the JTM45 being way too loud to boot, the difference is very small.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I'm not completely certain on the JTM50 specs, all I know is that it was some sort of halfsie between a JTM45 and JMP50. I always imagined that it was just a split cathode JTM45 with el-34s and solid state rectifier? Either way, I think KT66's sound better, and are such an oddity in today's guitar amplifiers, I'm about to put a solid state rectifier in my amp, go split cathode, but will keep the KT66's.

Either way, I've played a JMP50 (1987), and it is noticeably louder than my JTM45. I mean, by no means is the JTM45 a bedroom amp, and yes, by the time it is on 1, it is already pushing what is acceptable for "bedroom volume." But I can at least turn it up in the house in a large, soundproofed room. By the time I hit 2 on the volume of a JMP50, its at full volume, and is still clean. It literally will not get any louder from 2-10. Regardless, by the time you're dime-ing either amp, it will be too loud for band practice, small-medium gigs.
Sorry I was gonna put JMP50 there. And yes you're correct about the JTM50 there.

Also yeah, you are correct about the JMP50 there. Heck my 18watter itself is way too loud for band practise (I have to attenuate it to 5 (10 being max) when we practise! I'd say for a bedroom there's no point in getting a Plexi really.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

yeah, in the end it doesn't matter, because it will be too loud for the bedroom regardless.

But its a plexi, its a sin to own one and not be able to crank it!

Although Ceriatone can install a PPIMV which if not overused, works decently. It will suck tone and dynamics if you're going down to bedroom volumes, but then again, so does any MV. Gabel, wasn't your 18 watter louder than your Rocker30? Or was that someone else who said that? Just goes to show, wattages are poor representations of volume. Especailly for Marshalls.
^Yeap it was, at least with the Celestion. Now it's not as loud when I put in an MV (which I run full on) and used the Red Fang. Still I need to attenuate it. With the band I can almost get it to 5 on the attenuator, but at home it's on 8 or 9 (10 being quiet) and then I'm still scared the neighbors will complain!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band