So I plan on upgrading from my craptacular Crate amp to a Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb. I have 1000 to burn on an amp and I chose this. Did I make the right decision? I mainly chose this because A7x (yes they're my favorite band) used rectos (however they used triple rectifier heads I believe) to record Waking the Fallen. So I figure closest I can get to that for 1000 smackaroos would be the Rect-O-Verb.

I'm into Metal/Metalcore/Hard Rock.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
I think that they do hard rock pretty well. I often have a play on one in shops, and you can get a sort of Ace Frehley tone, I suppose, relatively easy.

I don't know how good they'd be for hi gain stuff though. I don't know because I never crank the gain.
Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb would be good. I'm actually trying to get the exact same thing right now, I even have the money sitting in my PayPal. Just waiting for the right deal.

I wouldn't pay over a grand. I saw a Rverb combo go for $699 and shipping on eBay this past week.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Actually, I'm pretty sure they used Bogners, but Mesas are very versatile, so you should be good.
Quote by zaphod42
Actually, I'm pretty sure they used Bogners, but Mesas are very versatile, so you should be good.

They got the Bogners after Waking The Fallen. I think they still use the T-recs live though.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb would be good. I'm actually trying to get the exact same thing right now, I even have the money sitting in my PayPal. Just waiting for the right deal.

I wouldn't pay over a grand. I saw a Rverb combo go for $699 and shipping on eBay this past week.

Yeah but I'm getting mine new. Idk I don't like to get my stuff used...EVAR.

idk just a personal preference.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by rwalby9

Seriously? That's a ****in steal
Quote by Say Ocean
Rectoverbs and Tremoverbs are some of the best rectos you can get. They lack the fizz and they just sound ****ing killer.

That makes me excited then
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Say Ocean
Rectoverbs and Tremoverbs are some of the best rectos you can get. They lack the fizz and they just sound ****ing killer.

Honestly that's awesome. Any idea how it would sound using a metal muff with top boost? lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
the rectoverbs are great. I prefer them over the duals and triples
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
the rectoverbs are great. I prefer them over the duals and triples

I see you have a Syn Custom. How is it? I was initially gonna try to get my hands on that but I heard it sounds like they've been dragged through mud. Any truth to that?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I see you have a Syn Custom. How is it? I was initially gonna try to get my hands on that but I heard it sounds like they've been dragged through mud. Any truth to that?

They sound preety crappy too me...
Honestly Buying a signature guitar is stupid most of the time becuase unless its a very obscure artist , than the tone is just a rippoff.. You should be looking for your tone, not someone elses.

Rectoverbs are nice... They're the Jack of all trades but the master of none... They do alot of stuff well, just nothing spectacular.
honestly, for the style of music you play I reccomend

Peavey 5150
Mesa Dc-5
Used Mesa Mark IV or Mark III
ENGL Screamer or Thunder Combo ( I ESPECIALLY RECCOMEND THIS ONE!)
actually a7x used both triple recs and bogners uberschalls on waking the fallen, then swtched over to just the bogners for city of evil-present.
GEAR:

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi Les Paul (modded with EMG 81/85, various other things)
Boss Looper
Member of UG's Hatecrew!
trem-verb is to my ears the best recto model out
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Honestly that's awesome. Any idea how it would sound using a metal muff with top boost? lol

Wouldn't do it. Has enough gain to kill people. Mabye a OD to tighten things up
Quote by FRDesign
Wouldn't do it. Has enough gain to kill people. Mabye a OD to tighten things up

I see.

Maybe something to boost my solos a bit? Like a green screamer or ibanez tube screamer?

Just thinking out loud here.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Highwaytohell
They sound preety crappy too me...
Honestly Buying a signature guitar is stupid most of the time becuase unless its a very obscure artist , than the tone is just a rippoff.. You should be looking for your tone, not someone elses.

Rectoverbs are nice... They're the Jack of all trades but the master of none... They do alot of stuff well, just nothing spectacular.
honestly, for the style of music you play I reccomend

Peavey 5150
Mesa Dc-5
Used Mesa Mark IV or Mark III
ENGL Screamer or Thunder Combo ( I ESPECIALLY RECCOMEND THIS ONE!)

I disagree here. I've heard incredible lead and nice heavy rhythm tones out of the Verbs. I'm actually getting rid of my 5150 to get one of them. Brilliant cleans, too.

Oh and TS, where can you get a new Rverb for around $1k? The heads are $1,500 and combos $1,600. Oh and the Rverb has a built in footswitchable solo boost.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Last edited by rwalby9 at Aug 18, 2008,
why the hell does it matter what kind of amps A7x, any high gain, generic metal tone will do.

I was unfortunate enough to catch them in concert when they were with Coheed and Cambria a few years ago, their live tone sounds like ****. I do not understand at all why anyone would want that tone, much less pay for a Mesa to get that sound.
Quote by al112987
why the hell does it matter what kind of amps A7x, any high gain, generic metal tone will do.

I was unfortunate enough to catch them in concert when they were with Coheed and Cambria a few years ago, their live tone sounds like ****. I do not understand at all why anyone would want that tone, much less pay for a Mesa to get that sound.
The amp the TS wants is a Rect-O-Verb, not a Triple Rec. They are two different amps. And while you may be happy with "any generic metal tone", the TS wants the best for his money and in my opinion, an Rverb is very close to if not the best his money can buy.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
And yet no where in my thread did I say the Rectoverb was a bad amp. All I said was that its stupid to buy a certain amp because an artist with such generic and unspectacular tone uses it. The Rectoverb is a pretty good amp, I never said it wasn't, but it seems that the TS has not yet played it and is ready to spend big bucks because A7x uses rectos.
Quote by al112987
And yet no where in my thread did I say the Rectoverb was a bad amp. All I said was that its stupid to buy a certain amp because an artist with such generic and unspectacular tone uses it. The Rectoverb is a pretty good amp, I never said it wasn't, but it seems that the TS has not yet played it and is ready to spend big bucks because A7x uses rectos.
I never said you called them bad amps, either. If he wants that kind of tone, he can get it and better ones out of the Rverb. You just said any generic high gain tone will do, but that's not what the TS wants. He wants a tone close to A7X which this will give him. In my opinion, capable of etter tones too. If you are gonna help him, go ahead but questioning why he wants the amp isn't helping him at all.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by al112987

I agree with you al... People always trying to get other peoples tones

I too did not ever say the Rect-o-verb was a bad amp, I was merely stating for the kind of tone the TS is going after, a 5150 or an ENGL would better fit his needs.
Quote by al112987

But I've heard them. Lol I don't like blindly walking into things, I did a little research via youtube videos. So it's not JUST because they used rectos. It's because

a)I liked the sound they had a lot when they used the rectos

b)I like the sound a lot from what I've heard on youtube

c)I've heard rectos are awesome amps.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon: