Right, so I got a Valveking, and since I got, my tastes in music have changed... Big time. When I bought it, I had bought it with the intention of playing blues covers, and AC/DC (which it does well), but then I got introduced to Megadeth. You know how the rest goes.

Well, anyway I'm in this semi-serious band, and we've got a decent set up, but I play rhythm. Anyway, I use my Reaper, which has EMGs, and I use the 85 when we play live because I like the chunky tone it has, but I can't seem to get enough clarity when playing. The 81 does not have this problem, but it also does not have the beefiness I desire.

Here are my settings:
Treble - 10 (shut it)
Mids - 3.5
Bass - 7.5
Gain - 8
Presence - 7
Resonance - 7
Reverb - 3

Any ideas what I could adjust to keep the beef, but lose the mud?

OH! Almost forgot, I have a clip in my profile if you want to hear to get a better idea. My mic sucks however, so be warned.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
try turning up the mids, turn down a little on reverb and resonance, and a good compressor effect can really help you out
cut your bass and up your mids. I can't imagine diming you highs sounds very good either, but if you want clarity in your tone, cutting mids is the worst thing you can do.
1 - turn your mids up
2 - buy an EQ pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Mids up, bass down, trebble down, gain not above 5-6!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
less resonance and if you dont need reverb, dont use it. follow what everyone else said abotu your eq. and make your picking cleaner,(if not already)
Turn your treble down to 8 and turn your midrange up to 10. Your bass is probably good where it's at but you may need to bring it up or down a little.

Your presence knob is what gives you bite. You want to set it so it rolls off the frequencies above the resonate frequncy of your pickups. If you set it too high it makes your tone muddy and if you set it too low then it makes your tone sound muffled so you are going to have to play with that one.
Not taking any online orders.
With the bass down, and gain down, it's sounds very brittle and... Not heavy. Sorry, but not my cup of tea. I turned the mids up to 6.5, and it does help, I didn't really like anything higher than that. Cut the reverb entirely, but now when I solo it doesn't sound quite what I'm used to. I like the presence, and cut the resonance back to about 5, and it's pretty alright.

I guess I'll just have to keep EQing, thanks guys.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by LP_CL
Mids up, bass down, trebble down, gain not above 5-6!

+1 to that.
That much treble HAS to sound like ass. I don't know if I'd even go as far as 6 with gain honestly.

EDIT- read your post above mine. Maybe it dosn't sound that 'heavy' because you're use to hearing it sound like **** with those settings. Having so much gain dosn't make your tone heavy at all, it'll just sound like somebody just got done pissing in the back of your head.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by caraluzzo
+1 to that.
That much treble HAS to sound like ass. I don't know if I'd even go as far as 6 with gain honestly.

EDIT- read your post above mine. Maybe it dosn't sound that 'heavy' because you're use to hearing it sound like **** with those settings. Having so much gain dosn't make your tone heavy at all, it'll just sound like somebody just got done pissing in the back of your head.

Tone is subjective, in my case, low bass = shit. The Valveking isn't high gain at all either, it's shit for high gain. Thus an 8 on the VK would be like a 5 or 6 on any other well rounded amp.vhk.nsfvm,asbnv. jkcvhnascncvskldfvn

I swear... I like my tone with lots of bass, and a fairly large amount of gain. Last thing I really need today (of all fucking days) is some dude saying my tone sucks.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

but wasn't it you who came in saying you had sucky tone and wanted advice?

a tubescreamer would probably help you out i'd imagine.
Quote by Colgate Total
Tone is subjective, in my case, low bass = shit. The Valveking isn't high gain at all either, it's shit for high gain. Thus an 8 on the VK would be like a 5 or 6 on any other well rounded amp.vhk.nsfvm,asbnv. jkcvhnascncvskldfvn

I swear... I like my tone with lots of bass, and a fairly large amount of gain. Last thing I really need today (of all fucking days) is some dude saying my tone sucks.

Chill dude... You did come here and say you were not happy with your tone.

Muddy tone comes from a wide range of frequencies compeating for space. To get rid of muddy tone you have to push everything together and filter out the crap you can't hear. A lot of the tone that the bass knob lest through and a lot of the tone the treble knob lets through are higher and lower than your ear can hear. By reducing your treble and bass just a litle bit (not a lot) it will sharpen your tone, get rid of the mud, and give you MORE audible treble and bass.

Also keep in mind that the 1st part of your amp to overdrive is the midrange. If you turn up your midrange then you don't need the gain to be as high because turning the midrange up from 3.5 to 6.5 gives you a lot more gain. It's like turning the gain from 8 to 10.
Not taking any online orders.
PUMP UP THE ****ING MIDS FOR CHRIST SAKE!!! People turn the mids down way to low and then wonder why it sounds so ****in rank, good lord. (Sorry, that just really ticks me off).

Try something closer to

Treble - 7-8 (shut it)
Mids - 6-8
Bass - 7
Gain - 6-7
Presence - 5-7 (6 is a good middle ground)
Resonance - 7 (not sure what this is)
Reverb - 1-2

And then start toying around from there.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Colgate Total

You came here with complaints about your tone dipsh!t. I've played Valvekings before, and there no way you'd need the gain that high in order for it to be 'heavy'. You're saying your tone is sounding muddy, and theres a good chance that it's because of the bass and extreme amount of gain. If you don't like what people have to say, then I suggest you learn how to tweak the amp on your own instead of asking others opinions on YOUR tone.
Quote by steven seagull
1 - turn your mids up
2 - buy an EQ pedal.

Thats the first thing I thought of when I read the heading, an EQ pedal. Also a compression pedal would help you out.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
use like 8 on the treble, 5.5 on bass, and 7 on the mids, gain on 7(the valveking is pretty low gain so you are going to put it up). i use that for my megadeth sounds nearly exactly like rust in peace album tone. you have a differenct amp though so play around with that. also their tone from peace sells...but who's buying differs greatly from rust in peace so maybe if you specify which album that would be nice
x2 on the sonic maximizer

mine sounds perfect now
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by TheDriller
but wasn't it you who came in saying you had sucky tone and wanted advice?

a tubescreamer would probably help you out i'd imagine.

No, I said my tone was muddy on the lower strings, and everything else after that was to my liking. Reading is a skill which needs to be used more.

I like the idea of a Tubescreamer though.

Quote by caraluzzo
You came here with complaints about your tone dipsh!t. I've played Valvekings before, and there no way you'd need the gain that high in order for it to be 'heavy'. You're saying your tone is sounding muddy, and theres a good chance that it's because of the bass and extreme amount of gain. If you don't like what people have to say, then I suggest you learn how to tweak the amp on your own instead of asking others opinions on YOUR tone.

How is that high at all? I asked for help, not you to act like a complete jack ass, I can take some constructive criticism, but when some idiot posts something like "my tone is like getting my head pissed on," I'd rather not put up with it.

Quote by zekk
PUMP UP THE ****ING MIDS FOR CHRIST SAKE!!! People turn the mids down way to low and then wonder why it sounds so ****in rank, good lord. (Sorry, that just really ticks me off).

Try something closer to

Treble - 7-8 (shut it)
Mids - 6-8
Bass - 7
Gain - 6-7
Presence - 5-7 (6 is a good middle ground)
Resonance - 7 (not sure what this is)
Reverb - 1-2

And then start toying around from there.

I have the mids at 7 now, and they've made the low strings even more muddy than before. I had them at 5, and it helped a lot more, so I kept them.

So as I said, thanks for the help. Now can it.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

lol.
If your tone is described as muddy, and you have to come to a guitar forum for setting, it's quite sad. I could reffer to your tone in any possible way I want, I'm not the one acting like I have sand in my vagina because theres somebody talking about the tone that I don't even like. You wanted advice, I gave it to you. Learn how to tweak it yourself instead of having to get other people to do it and it probably wouldn't be much as an issue anymore. Play around with the amp like somebody would do with any amp, and see what you can come up with. I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you can get something better than what you have now.

Try EQ's or OD's or something. We're not there to hear what you're getting right now, so really it's hard for anybody to point out the problem other than yourself. Even when somebody tells you what you should look at you're stilling probably going to want to try them out before you decide to purchase whatever it may be. I'm sure there are more things you can do yourself with your tone. If you took time to tweak around with the amp rather than just coming on UG, you may have found something you find more acceptable than what you have now.

If you want advice then raise your mids to around 12 o'clock, bass around 6 if you like that 'boom' sound (I know I do), atleast try putting the gain at 6, and then tweak the treble.. than work off that. That's my advice, rather then possible grabbing an Overdrive or an EQ pedal. If it comes down to the EQ, I'd recommend the MXR 10 band. I tried alot and I found that fits me best, although you may feel different. If you're looking for an Overdrive, then I'd have to tell you to try the Maxon OD808 to give you a good boost, but once again, thats preferance.

Good luck.

EDIT- Also, I have the BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer. Some people like it, some people don't. You stated you like alot of bass, so I figured I'd mention this. I baught this at the same time I baught my Peavey head, and it works perfectly. For some reason, I find it dosn't work well going in front of the amp, on Peavey esspecially, so I run it in the loop. Amazing difference from what you'd ussually get out of the amp. Gives it that extra bassy crunch you might be speaking of. I got mine for $100 used, but you can get them even cheaper than that.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Aug 17, 2008,
Put your mids back up and lower bass to 4. That should be quintessential megadeth tone. Also dont tell us to "can it" we are nice enough
to help you, we dont have to if we dont want to and can
let you have your ****ty tone
Quote by ironman1478
Put your mids back up and lower bass to 4. That should be quintessential megadeth tone. Also dont tell us to "can it" we are nice enough
to help you, we dont have to if we dont want to and can
let you have your ****ty tone

Where did I say I wanted Megadeth tone?

I like my lots of bass in my tone, and I like my fucking tone. I was also telling the people who were giving me a hard time to can it, not the people who actually helped. In this case, you're one of them.

So, shut it.

Quote by caraluzzo
lol.
If your tone is described as muddy, and you have to come to a guitar forum for setting, it's quite sad. I could reffer to your tone in any possible way I want, I'm not the one acting like I have sand in my vagina because theres somebody talking about the tone that I don't even like. You wanted advice, I gave it to you. Learn how to tweak it yourself instead of having to get other people to do it and it probably wouldn't be much as an issue anymore. Play around with the amp like somebody would do with any amp, and see what you can come up with. I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you can get something better than what you have now.

Try EQ's or OD's or something. We're not there to hear what you're getting right now, so really it's hard for anybody to point out the problem other than yourself. Even when somebody tells you what you should look at you're stilling probably going to want to try them out before you decide to purchase whatever it may be. I'm sure there are more things you can do yourself with your tone. If you took time to tweak around with the amp rather than just coming on UG, you may have found something you find more acceptable than what you have now.

If you want advice then raise your mids to around 12 o'clock, bass around 6 if you like that 'boom' sound (I know I do), atleast try putting the gain at 6, and then tweak the treble.. than work off that. That's my advice, rather then possible grabbing an Overdrive or an EQ pedal. If it comes down to the EQ, I'd recommend the MXR 10 band. I tried alot and I found that fits me best, although you may feel different. If you're looking for an Overdrive, then I'd have to tell you to try the Maxon OD808 to give you a good boost, but once again, thats preferance.

Good luck.

EDIT- Also, I have the BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer. Some people like it, some people don't. You stated you like alot of bass, so I figured I'd mention this. I baught this at the same time I baught my Peavey head, and it works perfectly. For some reason, I find it dosn't work well going in front of the amp, on Peavey esspecially, so I run it in the loop. Amazing difference from what you'd ussually get out of the amp. Gives it that extra bassy crunch you might be speaking of. I got mine for $100 used, but you can get them even cheaper than that.

tl;dr
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Treble - 5
Mids - 3.5
Bass - 7.5
Gain - 8
Presence - 5
Resonance - 3
Reverb - 3

check the battery for you EMGs if they use them.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
Treble - 5
Mids - 3.5
Bass - 7.5
Gain - 8
Presence - 5
Resonance - 3
Reverb - 3

check the battery for you EMGs if they use them.

I replaced them last week. Thanks for the settings though, I'll try those when my amp gets back.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I assumed that you wanted megadeths tone because you mentioned how you like them in your first post. Also if you like your tone then you wouldn't say your tone was muddy because that would be the sound you were going for.
This will probably be moderated but Colgate Total, you are such a ****ing ****.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by Colgate Total
Where did I say I wanted Megadeth tone?

I like my lots of bass in my tone, and I like my fucking tone. I was also telling the people who were giving me a hard time to can it, not the people who actually helped. In this case, you're one of them.

So, shut it.

tl;dr

If you like your tone then who do you really think should shut it? The guy who's telling you that you need to do it yourself, or the dumbass who b!tches about his muddy tone and then says he likes it after acting like a whining b!tch when people confronted the fact that he's a complete douche?
Quote by caraluzzo
If you like your tone then who do you really think should shut it? The guy who's telling you that you need to do it yourself, or the dumbass who b!tches about his muddy tone and then says he likes it after acting like a whining b!tch when people confronted the fact that he's a complete douche?

Because I was hoping someone had some helpful suggestions, which there have been. Now obviously, you feel the need to be right to preserve your masculinity so I'll call you a smelly poo head, and then you can call me immature.

Quote by ManInAClownSuit
This will probably be moderated but Colgate Total, you are such a ****ing ****.

****? **, *****....
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

best thing would be to screw around with everything. if nothing good comes of it, then the amp just sucks balls.
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
best thing would be to screw around with everything. if nothing good comes of it, then the amp just sucks balls.

I like it for what it can do, which is why I'm saving up for a Splawn Nitro.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Colgate Total
Because I was hoping someone had some helpful suggestions, which there have been. Now obviously, you feel the need to be right to preserve your masculinity so I'll call you a smelly poo head, and then you can call me immature.

****? **, *****....

When did his masculinity come into this discussion? Also if you like a lot of bass put a lot of bass you ****ing idiot, if you dont like a lot of mids dont put a lot. Why do you come for suggestions when you are just going to discard them or critize them? You asked us a question and we tried to help because you are obviously not smart enough to use the searchbar, this topic is so prevelant I dont even know why I bother posting.
Sounds like you are trying to make your guitar responsible for the entire 'heaviness' of the band..

In a band situation you don't need that much bass and gain to sound heavy, TRUST ME. Bass guitars and other guitarists (with tone that complements yours) leads to a heavy sound OVERALL.

No one instrument can produce the tone you are describing. For example, the guitars on almost any recording are tracked more than once to produce those sounds. The bass adds to the low end and you end up with a bada$$ heavy sound, but it all doens't come from the one guitar. Learning to adjust your tone to 'fit in' to a band situation is a skill not enough guitarists possess. Most people I have played with set their tone to what they like, leading to the band sounding like sh!t.

In summary, your settings should probably look something like this when playing with your band:

Treble: 6
Mids: 7-9
Bass: 5
Presence: 4-6
Gain: 4-6
Reverb: 0

Good luck.
Quote by ironman1478
When did his masculinity come into this discussion? Also if you like a lot of bass put a lot of bass you ****ing idiot, if you dont like a lot of mids dont put a lot. Why do you come for suggestions when you are just going to discard them or critize them? You asked us a question and we tried to help because you are obviously not smart enough to use the searchbar, this topic is so prevelant I dont even know why I bother posting.

People told me to lower the bass, I like my bass, I told them. More people said it, I told them again. Where did I say I don't like a lot of mids? People told me I needed more mids, I boosted my mids. People tell me me my tone sucks, I tell them to fuck off. I'm asking how to clear up the muddiness on my low e, and A strings.

Did you really have to resort to insulting me? Search bar is two words by the way, it's "criticize," "don't" has an apostrophe, and it's spelled "prevalent."

Quote by kolonelklink
Sounds like you are trying to make your guitar responsible for the entire 'heaviness' of the band..

In a band situation you don't need that much bass and gain to sound heavy, TRUST ME. Bass guitars and other guitarists (with tone that complements yours) leads to a heavy sound OVERALL.

No one instrument can produce the tone you are describing. For example, the guitars on almost any recording are tracked more than once to produce those sounds. The bass adds to the low end and you end up with a bada$$ heavy sound, but it all doens't come from the one guitar. Learning to adjust your tone to 'fit in' to a band situation is a skill not enough guitarists possess. Most people I have played with set their tone to what they like, leading to the band sounding like sh!t.

In summary, your settings should probably look something like this when playing with your band:

Good luck.

Well, I won't say that it's necessary for the band, but I just really like bass when I'm playing. It's just this thing where I have to feel every note I play rumble beneath my feet.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by Colgate Total at Aug 18, 2008,
i have my settings on my marshall:

Presence: 5
Bass: 10
Mids: 3
Treble: 4
Preamp:10
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
i have my settings on my marshall:

Presence: 5
Bass: 10
Mids: 3
Treble: 4
Preamp:10

It really depends on the amp though. Marshalls have quite a bit of mids in their sound, while Mesa's have far less.

In all honesty man, you just gotta spend hours tweaking your tone until you're happy. Although what another poster said is true, you don't need as much gain to be heavy when in a band.
Get an OD.

turn gain down
eq to pref
reverb off
just for kicks run your guitar thru the second input jack and put a dummy jack in first input jack...boost on?

*worth trying*

worst case..buy an eq pedal

PS. Colgate...you're the one that came on here and pointed this out and it is like any other forum on the inturdnet...it is all opinion by folks taking the time to try to help.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by kolonelklink

Good luck.

+1

Helpful stuff here.

Also, have you tried EQing your amp while it's cranked?