im going to have an H-S custom guitar, and before work starts on it, i was wondering, how do i get the pickups as quiet as possible without affecting the tone? i heard shielding the cavities (except for the essentials) will get the job done, but it will give it a loss of tone as well. im going to have about as much gain as angus young (i know, it wasnt much gain), and i will be doing arpeggios on the neck pickup. i like the sloppy tone of a single coil in the neck.

thanks.
Quote by nightraven
i remember seeing something about getting some wire, adding a crocodile clip to one side and fastening it to your bridge and wrapping the other side around your finger.

well i dont mean tricks like that, i mean tricks when im building the guitar.
i am also interested in keeping things quiet. will aluminum foil work as well as copper, or at least close? and will doing just the cavities work, or does the pickguard (strat) need to be done too?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Yeah just make sure your wiring is solid and get every cavity sheilded. Make sure the grounding is solid and if all else fails hum canceling pickups might be your best choice.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Unherolike
Yeah just make sure your wiring is solid and get every cavity sheilded. Make sure the grounding is solid and if all else fails hum canceling pickups might be your best choice.

every cavit? or just the back rout?
Alluminum foil will work great as long as you use 2 or more layers (I put 3 layers in my amp and it worked beautifully).

Sheilding paint is more for RF than 60-cycle hum and white noise.
Quote by SiegeCrew
every cavit? or just the back rout?

Yeah that workes I went over board and did the pup cavitys also.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Hey someone linked to my tutorial haha
Makes me feel actually useful?

But yeah unless its feedbacking a lot potting won't really make a difference...

And you can never shield to much. As long as there are no wires or anything touching the shielding that shouldn't be of course
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by forsaknazrael
^More expensive, and not as effective, IMO.

Hey forsaknazrael!
Are you talking about the non conductive paint? I've never actually used it, but a lot of top luthiers are using that over copper foil and I've heard great reviews about it. The foil can get messy when applied. What kind of experience have you had with this?
I have the non-conductive paint at home, the one from Stew-Mac. It does the job, but it's very messy. If you dont clean up properly, it'll leave some nasty dark stains, and once those are on, dont even think about scarping them off, you will just end up with a ruined finish. I had to find out the hard way
Yeah, copper tape is best. Cheap alternatives are aluminium foil with contact adhesive, but remember the shielding needs to have continuity with ground to dissipate RF noise (methinks...).
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.