Hey I'm about to buy a guitar but I can't choose between 2 of them.
1. Epiphone G-400 with EMG pick ups
2. Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon(Sick finish)

They are both at the same price but I can't seem to decide which one is the better buy. So it'll be sick if anyone could provide reasons to buy either one.

I'd like to play rock/metal/maybe blues but mostly rock

Thanks

P.S. I'm thinking about getting them off of Musicians Friend...both the same price
Last edited by shindigg at Aug 17, 2008,
The EMGs are really hot pickups, and the cleans aren't great at all. If you're looking to play those, you'd be better off with the Les Paul.

How much do you have? I'd really recommend the LP Standard, or the G-400 without EMGs.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
ive got emgs in both of my guitars and they have amazing cleans. id just replace one of the tone knobs with one of the eqs that emg has (unless you already like all the tonal possibilities) get what you want but keep the g 400 in mind.

it would be great if you could play them both before you buy though.
Get the Les Paul, it's freakin' awesome.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Yeah try them out for starters, if you're thinking about getting a guitar it means that you have it available in a shop you can go to right ? The best thing to do is to know more or less how you want the guitar to sound, its basic playability (set-in neck vs bolt-on, whammy or not etc.) then head to the shop and check what they've got for ya.

Since these are asian-made guitars there's way more duds than gems, as opposite to usa or sometimes japanese-made instruments (on which you can trust the quality control level).

As for a recommendation, I'd take at least a les paul standard in the epiphone range. I'd say the g-400 and the les paul are somewhat similar in sound, just get what you think feels right when you strap it on, an sg is really different than a les paul for that. Anyways, one or the other with a hotter pickup put in the bridge position and you'd be pleased for the metal part, the rock will come by itself and the neck pickup is there to fulfill those bluesy days.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Colgate Total
The EMGs are really hot pickups, and the cleans aren't great at all. If you're looking to play those, you'd be better off with the Les Paul.

How much do you have? I'd really recommend the LP Standard, or the G-400 without EMGs.

Cleans are superb with a set of EMG's. Can't count how many times people have told you this. If you've tried EMG's on clean, and don't like them, I want you to see a doctor.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by bloodycomfort
Cleans are superb with a set of EMG's. Can't count how many times people have told you this. If you've tried EMG's on clean, and don't like them, I want you to see a doctor.

I have and hated them. They sound terrible, flat, lifeless, and generally lack any tone that sounds good to my ears.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
I have and hated them. They sound terrible, flat, lifeless, and generally lack any tone that sounds good to my ears.

if thats the case then its either your guitar, emgs make the guitar sound sort of how it does unplugged, but amplified. or your amp, some amps just have crappy tone.
not the g-400.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!