Next x-mas I am getting a Schecter Hellraiser FL. This x-mas I am getting a new amp. I was thinking of a roland cube 60 but people are telling me active pickups + solid state = clipping/**** tone. So can someone give me a few amps to look in that equal about 60 SS watts?

I want an amp that can has nice cleans but can handle distortion as well. I get my distortion through pedals.

Im a metal head.

I dont want to go over $400 if possible.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
push the budget and go used on a nice tube amp...with 400ish the best u can get is prolly one of the 5 or 15 watters and use a pedal but meh...nothing like pushed amp distortion on a nice hi gain tube amp

SAVE
Quote by georgakis187
push the budget and go used on a nice tube amp...with 400ish the best u can get is prolly one of the 5 or 15 watters and use a pedal but meh...nothing like pushed amp distortion on a nice hi gain tube amp

SAVE

$600?
I'd say push the budget a little and get a B-52 AT 112.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Valveking 112 with a Bad Monkey. Change the speakers when you can. But at 600$ everything will be to high of watts. I have your problem, and will probably get the VK 112. Change the speakers to a V30 maybe.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by georgakis187

SAVE

Unless he is playing a gig or lives in a deep forest or in Antartica, he is not gonna be able crank a high gain high watt tube amp like your suggesting.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

for 600 u can go used...the best stuff comes used

look for high end marshalls...5150 combo(assuming u want brutal metal), b-52s i guess...bugera amps.

or do the valveking and bad monkey OR a better pedal like a tube screamer...and then swap the speaker eventually

thats what i would do....then again i got a jcm900 for 400 so i m just lucky thats why i say go used
Quote by Pinky19
Valveking 112 with a Bad Monkey. Change the speakers when you can. But at 600$ everything will be to high of watts. I have your problem, and will probably get the VK 112. Change the speakers to a V30 maybe.

I hear so many bad things about the 112 though. On how unreliable the components are.

=/
NOOOOOO but high gain amps get their gain from their preamps DUUUHHHHH....everyone says crank it but thats how u get poweramp distortion and that just ADDS to a metal tone distortion

SOURCE: i use a jcm900 100w in my dormroom at uni
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
I hear so many bad things about the 112 though. On how unreliable the components are.

=/

Go to the valveking only thread. They will tell you differently. And check out IbanezPsycho and sadistic sponges's profiles. They have some good clips of it.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/IbanezPsycho/

Last edited by Pinky19 at Aug 17, 2008,
valvekings are ok for their money and have an "acceptable" tube tone

for 400-450 or whatever they cost u can get so much better if u go used...really
Quote by georgakis187
valvekings are ok for their money and have an "acceptable" tube tone

for 400-450 or whatever they cost u can get so much better if u go used...really

But then you are back up to not that low of watts You can get a used 5150 off of ebay at times for 500-600, but that isn't gonna be good for low volumes. I say get either the VK 112 with a speaker and tube swap with the Bad Monkey, or the Krank Rev Jr. 20 Watt head with the 112 cab. But they equal 700$ total.

^ +1.

People are probably gonna crap all over this idea, but I've played EMG-equipped guitars through my TT, and without a boost, it sounds pretty sweet. With a boost, it's even better.

Here's an example of an EMG 85 through a TT, unboosted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrvW8PB2rc
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
blackheart
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Pinky19
But then you are back up to not that low of watts You can get a used 5150 off of ebay at times for 500-600, but that isn't gonna be good for low volumes. I say get either the VK 112 with a speaker and tube swap with the Bad Monkey, or the Krank Rev Jr. 20 Watt head with the 112 cab. But they equal 700$ total.

You do realize the 5150 combo is 60 watts and and the VK112 is 50.
I doubt you'll be able to hear the difference between the two volume-wise.
Tone-wise, for metal, and crunch and i even prefer the cleans of a 5150.

A Valveking is not a metal amp and spending money on a new speaker and an OD is just a waste. With all the money you spend on upgrades you could just get a metal amp.
(This has been said so many times too, people need to pay attention).
I'd go for the Krank Rev stack for portability reasons and personally i don't like the 5150 tone.
And if you don't gig and can't play loud, just get a solid state, thats right, solid state amp.
EMG's will sound fine with one just as long as you don't push it too hard.
Me personally, I'm looking for a Line6 HD147 as I've found its hard to get the best out of a tube amp in my situation. The Line6 is just more convenient for me.

Heres a video of a guy playing active Blackouts with an SS amp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyOo-g1VcOE

It sounds pretty good to me.
But tone is subjective, go with what you like.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
You do realize the 5150 combo is 60 watts and and the VK112 is 50.
I doubt you'll be able to hear the difference between the two volume-wise.

A Valveking is not a metal amp and spending money on a new speaker and an OD is just a waste. With all the money you spend on upgrades you could just get a metal amp.
(This has been said so many times too, people need to pay attention).
I'd go for the Krank Rev stack for portability reasons and personally i don't like the 5150 tone.
And if you don't gig and can't play loud, just get a solid state, thats right, solid state amp.
EMG's will sound fine with one just as long as you don't push it too hard.
Me personally, I'm looking for a Line6 HD147 as I've found its hard to get the best out of a tube amp in my situation. The Line6 is just more convenient for me.

Heres a video of a guy playing active Blackouts with an SS amp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyOo-g1VcOE

It sounds pretty good to me.
But tone is subjective, go with what you like.

5150 is a 212. 2 speakers is louder than 1 speaker. Right?

But my suggestion is, if your willing, the rank Rev jr. mini half stack. 700$ for head and matching cab.

Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
personally i don't like the 5150 tone.

You just contradicted yourself in the same post...

Fail.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]