So my band was discussing doing a cover of paradise city by guns n roses and the drummer suggested leaving out the fast bit at the end claiming it ruins the song. Now am i biased as a guitarist in thinking that is an idiotic thing to say??
The end solo is pretty much the flagship of Slash's guitar badassery, so leaving it out would kind of ruin the song.
Oh well i can play the solo (Well okay,a little learning still needed) but the drummer was trying to say that the solo bit kills the song which i couldn't believe. It sort of reinforces the stereotype that drummers aren't too bright haha.
The solo makes that song. It's Slash's best, bar none.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The solo makes that song. It's Slash's best, bar none.

It's a great solo, but I don't personally think it's his best.

Anyway, TS, play it both ways, once with and one without. Record it and take a vote from each band member. It should be about what is actually going to sound best.
Quote by :-D
It's a great solo, but I don't personally think it's his best.

Anyway, TS, play it both ways, once with and one without. Record it and take a vote from each band member. It should be about what is actually going to sound best.

+1.

I think his best solo is maybe from "Knockin' on Heavens Door," "November Rain," or "Estranged."
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I think you could end it with that "Hooooooooooooooome" and the drum lick and it would sound OK. If this is for a party with dancing and talking, I encourage this; I don't even like blistering, hard rock guitar solos when I'm trying to talk to someone, but if it's for a gig where music is the centerpiece, let alone a competition, I'd like to hear the outro.

Regardless, your drummer is being a little girl; my guess is he just can't play that fast, but who am I to comment on your band?

Slash's Best Solo: Nightrain
Slash's Best Solo: Nightrain

That may be true. However, you can't deny this solo is brilliant.

If you do not play the end of this song, I will personally come to your gig and throw things at you.

not really, but you get what I'm saying!
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
That may be true. However, you can't deny this solo is brilliant.
He's got some great licks in there, though a significant amount of that ending solo is pentatonic wanking, IMMHOHO.
Don't leave the solo out. Maybe the drummer said that 'cos he can't play that bit? Even though I imagine its the same as the rest of the song.
Quote by :-D
I'm a fucking idiot when it comes to GNR solos.
Fixed.

All in good fun, of course.

Now that I'm in iTunes listening to "Don't Cry" to assess its soloing, I can see all my GNR and I forgot about "Rocket Queen." That is Slash's best soloing.

I kind of like that no one has jumped in and proclaimed SCOM as the best ever, too.
Quote by lunchboxattacks
So my band was discussing doing a cover of paradise city by guns n roses and the drummer suggested leaving out the fast bit at the end claiming it ruins the song. Now am i biased as a guitarist in thinking that is an idiotic thing to say??

No, your not biased.

to your drummer:

If your going to play the song.... play the song. People like the song as is and will expect to hear it that way. Take your opinions and redirect them into your own artistic creations.

btw I just wanted to say that SCOM is Slashes BEST SOLO EVER!!!!
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
btw I just wanted to say that SCOM is Slashes BEST SOLO EVER!!!!
Rather than argue an opinionated point with you, I'll merely point out the grammatical error in your post.

Bitch.

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Rather than argue an opinionated point with you, I'll merely point out the grammatical error in your post.

Bitch.

LOL !! yeah I have grammatical issues here and there.

I was just messing with ya anyway. I like the SCOM solo, but I like alot of his other solos just as well.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I like the SCOM solo, but I like alot of his other solos just as well.
Agreed. I guess that means someone must have divided by zero, or maybe it was that crazy Swiss physics machine that might destroy the world.
Improvise it? I mean, no one wants to sound like someone else, right?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
come on, seriously, slashs best solo is not night train, omg.

when i hear a song too much i get sick of it, and ive kinda gotten sick of sweet child. but come on, it is his best solo, its got everything, a nice slow start, a shred to build tension then he just rips the guitar up in the second part of the solo.

though i love the estranged 1st solo, sweet child is still his best, cant be beaten.
oh, and dont play paradise city if you dont play the outro, its the best freakin part.
Either play the whole song, or play a different song. Without the solo, I guarantee that song would never have become as popular as it is.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Maybe the drummer can play the bit at the end, but thinks you'll botch it and embarass yourself? He might be too nervous/nice to say so.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
oh, and dont play paradise city if you dont play the outro, its the best freakin part.

+1 that part really makes the song...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Maybe he feels jealous if you play an awesome solo people will looking at you, not him.
He's got some great licks in there, though a significant amount of that ending solo is pentatonic wanking, IMMHOHO.

Perhaps he could have done better, but it's not bad for possibly drunk improvisation.
Call me Batman.