Any fans of this band? Yes, I did spell their name properly. They're a shoegaze/drone/stoner/noise band from San Francisco who are experts in the field of making a one-chord riff last for 10 minutes with all sorts of mad stuff going on over the top. There's a drummer who you can't hear most of the time, a bassist who finds a decent riff at the start of the song then refuses to budge from it and a singer/guitarist and keyboard player who basically just make noise over the top. And they're a lot better than that description makes them sound.

Their Myspace, SOL '07 is the best song of theirs IMO.

They have a self-titled album out but they recently released a compilation of their early (and now impossible to find) vinyl singles called Wooden Shjips Vol. 1 which is one of the best albums I've heard for a while.

There's some excellent beard-work on show too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Loved their first couple of singles ('Shrinking moon...' being the best), I thought the album was a big disappointment.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
not too shabby......
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
i found them out through andrewbiles, and i thought the first couple singles were good. i've not bought that album, though.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
i found them out through andrewbiles, and i thought the first couple singles were good. i've not bought that album, though.

I agree with Andrewbiles, the album's not as good as the early singles, but like I said those have all been thoughtfully compiled and released on CD now.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Yeah there was a bonus disc with 1000 of the albums or something, I think I saw a record release of that disc somewhere a short while back. Might have been a 12" single though, not sure.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
It is out on general release now on CD and vinyl, it's rather confusingly called Wooden Shjips Vol. 1.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I've only had a chance to listen to their music on their MySpace and on YouTube because I haven't seen their album anywhere.

I really enjoy their music, though. You take the San Francisco music of the sixties and incorporate into the modern world of trance and dance music. It really works out perfectly.
Definitely, best song on the self-titled album.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

They're pretty ace live. Proper psychedelic projection and everything when I saw them. Vol I is great, the album not so much.
one of the best shows i've ever attended
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
New album out in May, apparently it's going to be called Wooden Shjips II so they're obviously going for a bit of a Led Zep thing re album titles.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣