I'm currently reading "Harmony(third edition)" by Walter Piston. I'm at the part with interval inversion; I understand pretty much everything so far but Harmonic Inversion is confusing me a little bit. I'm wondering if anyone could help.

Here is what the text says:

"Harmonic inversion is quite different matter. In this procedure the names of the notes remain the same, but the lower of the two becomes the upper, or vise versa, with the consequence that there is usually a change in both the general and specific names of the interval."

So, basically, the higher pitched note is lowered an octave? Or the lower note is raised an octave depending on how you want to invert it...
I think basically what they're getting at is the idea that if you have, say, a major third with the lower note being C and the third as E then the E becomes the root note and the C is a minor 6th instead, it's just below the "root".

At least that's what I think it might mean.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't think this has anything to do with changing the actually pitch of the notes; I think it's just changing the name of the interval by looking at it differently.

Either way this should definitely go in the musician talk forum now that I think about it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think it does have to do with changing the actually note because the other inversion does have to do with changing the note. That is what I am thinking at least.

I do know what you are talking about though. The only thing is which way is it.

I'm kinda lost though on how it should be...

I don't feel like making another thread in the MT part of the forum.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
I don't feel like making another thread in the MT part of the forum.

If you post there you'll get people who actually know what they're talking about and are willing to explain it though, unlike in here where you get...me. I'm guessing based on the scant things I've just read in your first post

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you post there you'll get people who actually know what they're talking about and are willing to explain it though, unlike in here where you get...me. I'm guessing based on the scant things I've just read in your first post

I guess I will post another thread.