I recently started playing somewhat serious gigs and I think it's about time to get a more serious amp to match. I'm going to keep my little Vox to practice with but for shows I definitely want something with more punch. At any rate, I play in a reggae / skaish / rock band so I need something very versatile. I play mostly backing riffs and lead. I want the amp to have an awesome clean tone, as well as really serious distortion for intense solos and heavier songs. Obviously all tube. Lets assume we're talking in terms of all new equipment prices and I have about $1200 to spend. Fenders have nice clean tone but the distortion is lacking, and some amps you have to crank until the ceiling caves in to get any. I've never shopped for an amp in this price range so for once I don't know where to be looking. What head and cab should I get?
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
never tried either amp, but a used mesa lonestar or stilleto? supposed to have very nice cleans, as well as some good distortion sounds
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Do you need a head and cab? its just more to carry.

Id suggest (in a totally biased way) a mesa F series. its going to be used, but well worth it. and also almost half your budget. amazing cleans and gain for days.

another suggestion would be maybe the classic 30, possibly a laney or vox with an OD in front, depending on what you deem "heavy". traynor? idk, man. i know you said your budget and styles but just for myself and others, how heavy are you looking to get and where you live? also british or american voicing?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ya...f-series might sound like a good choice^
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Mesa F-series

ooh Wait
I KNOW!

Vox AC30!!!

EDIT: Thats probably the best choice (the custom classic). Will get you great awesome clean tones, and awesome sounding overdrive.
Well I'd like to get pretty heavy at times for some crazy breakdowns we sometimes do, basically metal, but I don't want to sacrifice the clean tone for it. I've played a mesa before, but as I recall I was bleeding out of my ears by the time the distortion was really showing through. Maybe I should take another look.

Oh I'll def be buying used. I guess I can always use a pedal for my distortion, I just don't have a lot of experience with high end cabs so I wanted some opinions and options. Thanks for the suggestions thus far!
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by Highwaytohell
Mesa F-series

ooh Wait
I KNOW!

Vox AC30!!

Yeah AC30 is nice, and I like the clean tone ( at least how its modeled on my vox, as I havent actually played one ). I'm not sure the built in distortion would cut it there, but I could use a pedal I suppose...
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
only thing is guys, the AC-30 cant get the heavy he is talking about. though he is willing to get a pedal for OD. a lonestar might be a good alternative as well, though it has more gain than the AC or fender, its still not a whole lot. id say check out all of those.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
only thing is guys, the AC-30 cant get the heavy he is talking about. though he is willing to get a pedal for OD. a lonestar might be a good alternative as well, though it has more gain than the AC or fender, its still not a whole lot. id say check out all of those.

Than get an AC30 and an od lmao...
That or an Orange Rocker 30

In my expirence the lonestar didn't have much more gain than an AC30... I would just get an AC30 and use an overdrive...
wel i've never had the chance to crank an AC as ive only played it in stores. the lonestar on the other hand, i have. i know someone with one and its what made me buy my mesa.

TS, i say try out a bunch before you even think of buying. might even give you a chance to save some more .
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Mesa F Series was the first thing that came to my mind, too.

The AC30 might be an interesting choice, though. How much "really serious distortion for intense solos and heavier songs" do you need? There's really nothing quite like the sound of a cranked AC30. If you listen to some of Queen's heavier stuff, that was all done on the classic Vox - and I'd think that would be plenty of gain for a guy who's primarily playing ska and raggae type stuff. Pair the amp with a nice treble booster and fuzz pedal, and I think you'd be doing some serious searing.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.