is it possible to wire different caps on a guitar's tone pot hooked up to a switch so that you could switch between caps? i think something can be done with push pull pots, but i do not want to remove the pots out of the guitar, i would like to wire them to a switch instead. if anyone could help with some sort of diagram that would be great.
Yes. In PRS's a varitone switch is used a lot, which is a rotary switch that switches between caps. It's like a pot, only depending on how much you turn it, you can switch between different switch positions. You can also use toggle switches, you'll need DPDT switches.

DPDT:

1 2
3 4
5 6

Capacitor lead | Other capacitor lead
Tone pot lug | Ground
Jumper - Jumper
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
so 1 each of the capacitor's leads are soldered into 1 and 2, and the other lead of each capacitor is soldered to ground correct? thanks so much for your reply, i've been looking everwhere for a diagram somewhere and have not been able to find one. i plan on experimenting with some different sounds in a guitar using caps without having to solder and re-solder.

thanks again! any suggestions from anyone for values to try? also, can other capacitors be used? i most commonly see ceramic ones, but will any type work as long as the value is the same?

thanks again for a quick reply!
Quote by wespeakinmidi
is it possible to wire different caps on a guitar's tone pot hooked up to a switch so that you could switch between caps? i think something can be done with push pull pots, but i do not want to remove the pots out of the guitar, i would like to wire them to a switch instead. if anyone could help with some sort of diagram that would be great.

Hey man,

http://www.diyguitarmods.com/diyprojects/varitonemod/index.html

I designed my own varitone for my strat and it is exactly what you are talking about and you don't need a push pull. The push pull on the varitone systems are wired to an inductor but after building and buying several varitone systems I decided that the inductor is just gimmicky.

Here is how a varitone system is wired with a push/pull if you are curious,

http://www.diyguitarmods.com/diyprojects/varitonedeluxemod/index.html
Quote by diyguitarmods
The push pull on the varitone systems are wired to an inductor but after building and buying several varitone systems I decided that the inductor is just gimmicky.
It isn't gimmicky at all.
The inductor turns this into a notch filter instead of just a high-cut.
It sounds completely different without the inductor.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.