I'll make it quick.

I've been looking to buy a guitar with active pickups and a tremelo.

I've been looking at this one:
http://www.music123.com/Schecter-C-1-FR-Electric-Guitar-518491-i1169290.Music123

My main concern is tuning the guitar.

I switch tunings very often. Mainly C standard, D standard, E standard, and each of those dropped.

Is this going to be a hassle with the Floyd Rose? Once I get the bridge setup and everything the first time. If I tune from E standard to D standard, am I going to need to jack with bridge to do so? About how long does it take, once I get good at it?

I've had a hard time find information on this from the web.

Also does pulling too hard on the bar yeild a chance of breaking the strings?
Last edited by Squidtech at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by Squidtech
I'll make it quick.

I've been looking to buy a guitar with active pickups and a tremelo.

I've been looking at this one:
http://www.music123.com/Schecter-C-1-FR-Electric-Guitar-518491-i1169290.Music123

My main concern is tuning the guitar.

I switch tunings very often. Mainly C standard, D standard, E standard, and each of those dropped.

Is this going to be a hassle with the Floyd Rose? Once I get the bridge setup and everything the first time. If I tune from E standard to D standard, am I going to need to jack with bridge to do so? About how long does it take, once I get good at it?

Oh god that will be a pain in the ass...
If you switch tunings that often I would not get a Floyd unless you have a guitar tech.
Get a guitar with a hardtail and buy a digitech whammy pedal (yes I know it's not the same but hell it will be a whole lot easier to keep the guitar in tune and switch tunings)
buy 3 different guitars with floyds, 1 in E, another in D and another one in C. It's the most expensive and the easiest way lol
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
when you say that you switch tunings a lot, how often do you mean? if you mean that you switch in like every other song during a gig, then having one guitar with a floyd on it isn't in your best interest. in reality, to be practical, you would need one guitar for each standard tuning. however, if you're simply switching from d standard to drop c, or e standard to drop d, but not between the two standard tunings, that can be easily done with a floyd. my band switches from d standard to drop c pretty regularly, and we both have floyds. if you really think you'll be switching from one standard tuning to another frequently, then having a single guitar with a floyd is going to be a pain.
I would only recommend a floyd rose if you are sticking to one tuning and even in that case i would only recommend getting an original floyd rose if you want the best from a whammy.

What you could do is get a device such as a tremol-no (im getting one) that will block the floyd from moving if you turn the switches on it, enabling you to change tunings easily like a hardtail because the bridge shouldnt move. Have your whammy setup in you favourite tuning or the one you use most or whammy in or w/e and you can then use the tremolo fine- you could pitch up and down with the tremol-no in full floating position, then when you want to change tunings you can set it to hardtail mode and retune. If you were tuning down you would still retani the ability to use the whammy bar but you could only dive and not go up.
This might be a bit confusing especially if you haven't had any experience with floyd rose, ask me if you have any questions.
I'm merely a hobbyist, I'm not out giging.

By often, I mean...

Say I'm playing for 5 hours straight, I may re tune anywhere from never to like 10 times.

About how long does it take? That's all I really need to know, then I can decide if it's too much of a hassle.
Quote by Squidtech
I'm merely a hobbyist, I'm not out giging.

By often, I mean...

Say I'm playing for 5 hours straight, I may re tune anywhere from never to like 10 times.

About how long does it take? That's all I really need to know, then I can decide if it's too much of a hassle.

It will take a while because you will have to continuouslsy readjust the tension each time you tune... my guess would be half an hour
if you change tunings...a floyd is never good for you, unless you have multiple guitars
It's clear that I don't want one.

I just wanted to mess around with Dimebag Squeeling really.

Thanks for clearing this up for me, I'm glad I asked this.