Ok, so I play guitar and sing. I suck at guitar, after a year the hardest thing I can play is the intro solo to "One". I HATE my voice, I HATE HATE HATE it. I think im positivly terrible at singing. Anyways, im the lead guitarist/lead singer for my band. My two best friends are the drummer and bassist. We have no drum set to practice on, so we can't practice. Also we've never even written a song as a band. (I have a couple of acoustic songs) We don't have a genre or anything.

I want to quit, mainly because we can't ever practice. Not only that I just feel like I can't sing. I REALLY want to sing and enjoy singing, I just hate my voice. I also feel like I shouldn't be the guitarist. My drummer and bassist are both better at guitar than me. (Except im the only member who has knowledge of music theory and the other two don't know chords or anything)

I feel useless and inferior. Even though I know im the best singer of the three of us.

So UG, should I quit the band (I don't want to since we get along so well) and practice making my skills myself, or should I give it a shot. Maybe look up new members?

Also if I stay, what genre should we be? We enjoy a variety of music and all share a liking of the same bands.

I want to do a 60's Mod-Rock style thing. (Think The Who, or even Oasis) How would one go around to doing that? Any bands that like?

I know I asked a lot of questions, but thanks for whatever advice you can offer.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
why cant you practise on the drummers drum set and to clarify your genre why dont you just jam and see what turns up?
Quote by Titch2011
why cant you practise on the drummers drum set and to clarify your genre why dont you just jam and see what turns up?

+1, and how is your drummer a drummer, if he doesn't have a set to play on? Does he just have a snare drum?
Quote by messiah01
How is your drummer a drummer, if he doesn't have a set to play on? Does he just have a snare drum?

Quoting xD
+ TS you need to answer back so we can give you more info
Last edited by Titch2011 at Aug 17, 2008,
Record yourself singing, go to a vocal coach for a while, then record yourself again, you'll see a vast improvement and probably hear something you now quite like as well.
If guitar really isn't working for you, try concentrating on just the vocals for a while and see how that suits you, or try other instruments like maybe bass or keyboards, sometimes it can take years for a musician to find a role that they are comfortable with.
As for the band.
Does it look like it's going to happen any time soon? If not, maybe it's worth looking around for another band who have already got their acts together.
That doesn't neccesarily mean you have to leave the old band, many musicians have more than one project on the go, it's what makes our music varied and keeps it interesting to ourselves.
Quote by Titch2011
Quoting xD
+ TS you need to answer back so we can give you more info

indeed....
@TS once you accept your voice's tone, singing will be much more natural, because your stuck with that voice for the rest of your life...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
yeah. I hated my voice for a while. Just keep singing man! it's all good. You'll accept it with time. The more you sing, the better your voice gets.

As far as the band goes, if you work really well together, you should stick together. It's really hard to find the perfect group. Maybe you talk about this with your bandmates. Talking usually helps.

And don't pick a genre. Just play what flows! like titch said. just jam and see what comes out.