I looked up a chord on the net and found out that it was an D sus2sus2 or G6add9 (no 3rd) or an A 7sus4. Since it is unusual chords I can't figure out other chords that fits well with it. So if someone know 3 chords that sound well it would be appreciated And I would be even more thankful if the chords sounded not necessarily sad but downtempo and mellow.

This is how the chord look like:
---0---
---3---
---2---
---0---
---0---
---3---
I don't know what key it fits in actually. How can i figure out that?
Quote by jedish
I don't know what key it fits in actually. How can i figure out that?

Well usually you can tell the key by the chord that it resolves to. It resolves nicely to a D major chord, therefore I'll assume that it's in the key of D major.
Quote by one vision
Well usually you can tell the key by the chord that it resolves to. It resolves nicely to a D major chord, therefore I'll assume that it's in the key of D major.

Okey thanks Now it's gonna be a bit easier to find chords that fits i guess
Quote by one vision
What key does it fit under?

EDIT: You could end with a D major chord.

Wouldnt a _7sus4 resolve to a minor? Assuming the chord the TS is using is a A7sus4 it should resolve to a D minor chord.

A7sus4 would resolve to D minor surely?

A --> A
D --> D
E --> F
G --> A

A phrygian dominant might fit over that? Or D harmonic minor?
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by Guitardude19

A --> A
D --> D
E --> F
F --> F
G --> A

A phrygian dominant might fit over that? Or D harmonic minor?

That didn't help so much. I don't know that much theory so I don't know what that means, it is way out of my league.
Quote by jedish
That didn't help so much. I don't know that much theory so I don't know what that means, it is way out of my league.

If it were me, I would go:

Dm Gm A Dm Gm A A7Sus4 Dm

I took that from D harmonic minor.

The Dm Gm A is a typical I IV V chord progression.

If you look at the notes of the chord, the reason why they sound good together is because the notes "flow" between each other.

If you take a the A chord and resolve it to a Dm chord, you get the following:

A ---> A
C# ---> D
E ---- F

What happened there is that the Root of the A major chord became the 5th of the Dm chord. The C# moves a half step to form the root of the Dm chord and the E moves a half step to the F to form the 3rd of the Dm chord.

So the A -> Dm sounds like it "finishes" its a perfect cadence.

The A7sus4 chord gives a better cadence because the notes in a dominant chord and these "want" to resolve:

A --> A
D --> D
E --> F
G--> A

The A7sus4 has two notes already in the Dm chord and the E then resolves to the F and the G moves up a step to an A.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Okey, thanks for that lesson I will try the chord progression you suggested
Quote by jedish
I looked up a chord on the net and found out that it was an D sus2sus2 or G6add9 (no 3rd) or an A 7sus4. Since it is unusual chords I can't figure out other chords that fits well with it. So if someone know 3 chords that sound well it would be appreciated And I would be even more thankful if the chords sounded not necessarily sad but downtempo and mellow.

This is how the chord look like:
---0---
---3---
---2---
---0---
---0---
---3---

i approached it as a G major add 9 form

walk the base note down in half steps... you get D maj then D min resolve that into an E 7 (open E .. 2nd fret B note..open D ..G# on first fret...D note on 3rd fret...open E ) then A maj chord (2rd fret) then G maj resolve into D major (second fret)....

sounds nice..enjoy
Last edited by wolflen at Aug 17, 2008,
Or you could just be really simplistic.

That G is also a Dsus2/G.

A song like Mr Brightside uses this chord in the progression.

Dsus2, Dsus2/G, Bm11 (x20230), Asus4 (x02230).

Those four chords work. It's most obviously in D but you could do whatever you want with it really, it could fit into G or even A if you know what you're doing.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Thanks for the help everybody But the final progression became A7sus4, A, Cadd9 and E. I don't think they fit together in theory but sounded good for me, if you got any improvments on that progression so please tell me But to another problem that I hope you can solve, I also want to pick notes in the verse. Is there any "rules" that I should know about when it comes to picking and knowing which notes in each chords I should pick and things like that?

I changed the chords to A7sus4, A, E and F#m as I thought it would work in the key of E major but still the A7sus4 contains two notes that isn't in E major scale, D and G. So I am completely stuck right now
Last edited by jedish at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by jedish
Thanks for the help everybody But the final progression became A7sus4, A, Cadd9 and E. I don't think they fit together in theory but sounded good for me, if you got any improvments on that progression so please tell me But to another problem that I hope you can solve, I also want to pick notes in the verse. Is there any "rules" that I should know about when it comes to picking and knowing which notes in each chords I should pick and things like that?

I changed the chords to A7sus4, A, E and F#m as I thought it would work in the key of E major but still the A7sus4 contains two notes that isn't in E major scale, D and G. So I am completely stuck right now

That's impossible.

A7sus4 (if you're playing it how i thinnk is x0203x right?)

The only note that's an accidental is the C# in A. Every other note is ok for A natural minor.

As for the second song. The notes work in D. It could be in A Major too. Even with the G, because it's the seventh, it could be flattened.

And just because one notes not in the scale doesn't mean it can't possibly be part of the scale.

I mean, figure out the triads and you'll realise that some chords will sound good in a scale even though they have "out of key" notes. The second and 6th can be played as Major even though, if you run through the scale properly, it should be a minor.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Quote by Auals
That's impossible.

A7sus4 (if you're playing it how i thinnk is x0203x right?)

The only note that's an accidental is the C# in A. Every other note is ok for A natural minor.

As for the second song. The notes work in D. It could be in A Major too. Even with the G, because it's the seventh, it could be flattened.

And just because one notes not in the scale doesn't mean it can't possibly be part of the scale.

I mean, figure out the triads and you'll realise that some chords will sound good in a scale even though they have "out of key" notes. The second and 6th can be played as Major even though, if you run through the scale properly, it should be a minor.

I play the A7sus4 from lowest to highest 300230. But then maybe I will play my progression if two single notes didn't mean that much, thanks
300230... should be called a Dsus2/G not A7sus4... and I don't EVER say that one or two notes don't mean that much.

But yeah, any other questions, let me know.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross