Everytime I play, I get bored and just don't feel like playing anymore............
Have any of you ever been in a rut, and if so how did you get out of it?
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

i did. I realised my bass was crappy and was holding me back so i played less and less.

Then i got a new bass and now i can't put it down.
check out the "I need bass songs to learn" thread. try playing in more exotic styles. example, if you usually play metal, try playing ska. good luck!
Quote by Hammerzeit
i did. I realised my bass was crappy and was holding me back so i played less and less.

I'm going through the same thing with guitar. God i wish i wasn't poor.
Quote by cwl
check out the "I need bass songs to learn" thread. try playing in more exotic styles. example, if you usually play metal, try playing ska. good luck!

best advice ever.
Quote by cwl

Expanding on this, don't just cross genres... cross instruments as well. Take a piano piece and pkay it on bass. Hell, take a trombone or trumpet piece (which contains lots of slurs, something you may not come across in bass nearly as often) and play that on bass.
Force yourself to learn something above your abillity, write a song you can't play by tabbing it out in guitar pro, then just sit down and work at it every day.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Expanding on this, don't just cross genres... cross instruments as well. Take a piano piece and pkay it on bass. Hell, take a trombone or trumpet piece (which contains lots of slurs, something you may not come across in bass nearly as often) and play that on bass.
That sounded like some of victor wootens advice when hes high :P
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
I borrowed a guitar for like 2 weeks, I played that a lot. Then went back to playing bass.

Basicly mix it up.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Pffft, my philosophy on bass pisses all over Wooten's. He hugs trees. TREES, DAMMIT.
Dont f*** with Victor look at this 3:24 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWANfBtELlc the man can run off walls and do kung fu.
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And I can wash the dishes better than any woman can. I therefore win.

Lol, please do my dishes Ben. I hate doing dishes, so you definitely win.

Bored with bass? Lay off of bass a few days and listen to some music, esp. stuff you don't listen to very often.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And I can wash the dishes better than any woman can. I therefore win.

You just got in the sig.

As for your predicament, I can tell you that you should try to play with as many other people as possible. And even if you don't feel like playing, 15 minutes or so is better than nothing.
I like to build something crazy when I get bored with actually playing an instrument. If whatever musical thing I build turns out to sound alright it inspires me to play more, if it doesn't, I lie and say: "well I can't be that bad at making things... the bad tone most be entirely in my figers," and then once again I am inspired to play more bass.

Win/Win, also making musical gear is a nice secondary skill to have as a musician.
Quote by AmpleSteak
Dont f*** with Victor look at this 3:24 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWANfBtELlc the man can run off walls and do kung fu.

If he's a good player, so is Billy Sheehan!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101

woah chillax..... but yeah lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
thank you all for your advice, It's very appreciated.

I think I'm going to go with CaptainInsano and Anarkee's ideas, lay of bass for a bit and play some guitar while listening to some unorthodox stuff.
yay.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Quote by bassnguitar
thank you all for your advice, It's very appreciated.

I think I'm going to go with CaptainInsano and Anarkee's ideas, lay of bass for a bit and play some guitar while listening to some unorthodox stuff.
yay.

...or build something!?! Come on, come to the DIY side!
Quote by Hammerzeit

Pretty much this. I was playing a Schecter Omen-4 and bass was bass was becoming boring, so I went and got a Highway One Jazz and I haven't stopped playing it.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
the drums are great for letting out anger towards your bass with out wasting the hundreds/thousands you that you paid for it!!
Quote by Nutter_101

HAHAHA thats sig worthy.
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
I had this recently

I stopped for a bit,listened to music,went back to bass and found Id improved imensely
this keeps happening

Ill get bored or lose my groove,loy off for a week,seemingly while my brain puts things together,and then come back all fresh and find I've got better...its weird, but good
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Hammerzeit

haha i went through the same thing! but mine was for about 2 years... i didnt know what the problem was, so i just stoped playing, and then i picked up my ****ty peavey milestone 2, and played and realized i loved playing bass, but i hated the guitar, so i saved up and bought a schecter custom-5 and ive been playing all day all summer, haha u just gotta figure out wuts putting u in the rut, it may be ur guitar, it may be ur music style, or u just dont know what else to do, check out the "i need bass songs to learn" thread, that really helps when u want a lil variety in what u play
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
^ The I need bass songs to learn thread only helps until you've learned all the songs under expert(liek raelly fast and stuff!11!!) and can be bothered to learn anymore.

My piano always acts as a good catalyst for putting me back into my groove.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
usually, i learn a song from either hard or expert, then i learn anouther primus song, (which takes uber long time l0lz) then repeat. i have yet to perfect silly putty
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
My slap sounds like crap. So when I try to play silly putty it sounds horrible, but I finally got teen town down.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Silly putty isnt a primus song

its a cover!!! This annoyed me in the bass songs to learn thread aslo

grrr!!!

lol, but yeah, learning a primus or any other Claypool song is good to get back into bass

Im digging tommy the cat right now, the rhinoplasty version with the awakening as the solo...tasty
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Silly putty isnt a primus song

its a cover!!! This annoyed me in the bass songs to learn thread aslo

grrr!!!

lol, but yeah, learning a primus or any other Claypool song is good to get back into bass

Im digging tommy the cat right now, the rhinoplasty version with the awakening as the solo...tasty

Thank you--Silly Putty is originally by Stanley Clarke. The original is quite a bear to learn as well and is a jazz fusion gem.